PDA

View Full Version : Grow out to 'quality' discus

JamesW
10-24-2018, 02:27 PM
The grow out contest challenge prompted this thought.

Of a random sampling of 2.5" discus how many will grow out to be 6+" discus. 50%? 80%? 100%

Obviously there is a lot of variables and the answer can be 0% if they are stunted but I'm curious for a group kept under ideal conditions.

Second Hand Pat
10-24-2018, 03:15 PM
Hi James, are you suggesting the only indication of quality is size?
Pat

Pices
10-24-2018, 03:45 PM
A big variable would be type of discus. Blue sapphire doesn’t get as big as blue diamond for example. Good question though since I’m now curious as to which types become the biggest adults. I see differences in my batch that grew up together. My pigeons a little smaller than my turk, Koi a little smaller than my pidgeon. I’m assuming giant flora are named giant for a reason?
Patty

sanjay21
10-24-2018, 03:49 PM
A big variable would be type of discus. Blue sapphire doesn’t get as big as blue diamond for example. Good question though since I’m now curious as to which types become the biggest adults. I see differences in my batch that grew up together. My pigeons a little smaller than my turk, Koi a little smaller than my pidgeon. I’m assuming giant flora are named giant for a reason?
Patty

I've used to be under this impression in the past. That certain strains grow larger than the other, but I think it all comes down to the genetics from the parents. These days I'm seeing some really big sizes from almost all the strains.. I maybe wrong here, but I'm only speaking from what I'm seeing around.

JamesW
10-25-2018, 08:02 AM
Not at all Pat! Though I would think that all things being equal (shape, color condition etc) the larger discus would be considered the better fish. Am I off course with that assumption?

Second Hand Pat
10-25-2018, 08:29 AM
Not at all Pat! Though I would think that all things being equal (shape, color condition etc) the larger discus would be considered the better fish. Am I off course with that assumption?

Based on the NADA standards James six inches is sort of the minimal size considered for judging but there are lots of other considerations. Look halfway down this page for other considerations http://www.discusnada.org/2018NADAdiscusshow/classes-and-awards/. This was used for the 2018 NADA show.
Pat

Hart24601
10-26-2018, 12:20 PM
Since I am not a breeder I can't give hard numbers, but I was very surprised with my growouts. I bought two batches of fish from tony tan - I only bought the number I wanted since I had not really read too much about vairable sizes growing out, more about stunting or the strain size difference. If I was to do it again I would have bought 50% more fish and just given away the smaller ones. My batches (9 and 9 if I remember correctly) all lived but some are now well over 6" and the smaller ones from same group I don't think are quite 4". Nothing wrong with them, just looks a bit odd. I would say from 18 total 2 are really small, 2 more are smaller and maybe 2 more are a bit below. Of course I don't mean just the males are larger! So that is around 30% for my limited run, but I do think it's a good point to bring up and should be considered when planning a display tank.