PDA

View Full Version : Driftwood Options

androidx1
10-30-2018, 04:25 PM
Can anyone provide any input on the options for Driftwood types for discus.

Is there any types I need to avoid? And a good place to purchase?

having trouble sourcing some nice driftwood for a Discus only tank.....

Thanks

LizStreithorst
10-30-2018, 05:09 PM
My best driftwood is not really driftwood. It's from hard wood that I found in the woods. If you want branches there is a different kind of wood that you have to pay for.

danotaylor
10-30-2018, 06:36 PM
I'm with Liz, I collect my own from the woods and creek beds after flood waters pile tons of wood up. Sift thru and find the gold! Needs a good cleaning usually, but a good high pressure washer gets it cleaned up well. Soak in bleach water, dry in the sun for a few days, and ta-dah, you're ready to go!
You can buy manzanita branches online if you want something super clean and sand blasted, usually ready for use.

Cove Beach
10-30-2018, 07:07 PM
Hello from a local! Best source i have found is Aquatica in Valley City. Steve has a huge selection.

dagray
10-30-2018, 09:09 PM
I got my stump here: http://www.manzanita.com/stumps/page1/page1.htm a number of years ago, but he may not be in business anymore as he doesn't have near the pieces available.

gotwins86
10-31-2018, 10:09 AM
I was looking into the same thing. No one local to me sells nice driftwood.

Was looking at some of the different things from Universal Rocks. Specifically a couple of the tree stumps. Anyone had any experience with Universal Rocks?

LizStreithorst
10-31-2018, 10:24 AM
You might check with The Wet Spot. They had some killer fake stumps that looked perfectly real at one of the NADA conventions.

Yom
10-31-2018, 01:05 PM
I too have used local picked up "driftwood" and it obviously is the cheapest route. Issue I have is with local picked up woods they tend to not sink and require a piece of slate anchored(screwed to or silicone to). Other options are Spider Wood; which is usually nice and branching root looking, Manzanita; which you can get at most Petco's, and Mopani, which has multiple shades and stripes in it. A good LFS will have a nice selection of wood, if not then simply search Ebay.

Prior to placing in your tank soak the wood well; better to boil it if you can and expect tannins to release and make the water brown(hence the term blackwater). The Manzanita leaches a lot of tannins.