PDA

View Full Version : QUIKRETE Premium Play Sand

lenonh
11-03-2018, 07:53 AM
Hi I was wondering if anyone has used QUIKRETE Play Sand. According to Quikrete is safe to use in fish tanks, just need to be cleaned first.

Currently using pool filter sand in my 55 and 20, I just purchased a used 150. I cant seem to find pool filter sand in NJ, not even from a pool store, they said they out.

Second Hand Pat
11-03-2018, 08:59 AM
Just need to make sure it is inert, meaning it will not raise your ph.
Pat

lenonh
11-03-2018, 09:33 AM
Thanks Pat, when I do add it, I will keep an eye out. I am still checking out other hardware stores....besides home depot and loews

Adam S
11-03-2018, 11:24 AM
Play sand would still make me a bit nervous. In addition to checking pH like Pat said, I'd throw a handful in a 5 gallon bucket with some feeder guppies and see what happens after a week. It's not uncommon for sands like that to have trace amounts of oil as an anti-caking agent.

Also, check with landscaping companies. Most should be able to order quartz 20/30 (PFS) or 8/16 (courser) sand in large bags.

lenonh
11-04-2018, 07:56 PM
I ordered pool filter sand from the local hardware store. they said it would be two weeks, but I rather be safe.

danotaylor
11-05-2018, 01:12 AM
I ordered pool filter sand from the local hardware store. they said it would be two weeks, but I rather be safe.

Wise move... your patience will result in peace of mind...without which fish keeping can be a nightmare, LOL