PDA

View Full Version : Bypassing BBS

megatrev62
11-05-2018, 11:51 AM
Is it possible to bypass BBS with discus fry? Can they go from parents to Frozen beef heart if kept in the same tank long enough? Is this being foolish?? lol

sanjay21
11-05-2018, 12:21 PM
Is it possible to bypass BBS with discus fry? Can they go from parents to Frozen beef heart if kept in the same tank long enough? Is this being foolish?? lol

They sure will start pecking on the parents food between 2 and 3 weeks.

But I would not recommend adding beefheart that early. High chances on them choking on it, I personally seen that and had to remove the pieces sticking out of their mouths.

megatrev62
11-05-2018, 01:02 PM
They sure will start pecking on the parents food between 2 and 3 weeks.

But I would not recommend adding beefheart that early. High chances on them choking on it, I personally seen that and had to remove the pieces sticking out of their mouths.
Thank you, never thought of that. I have hatched lots of BBS over the years for various fry, just thought this would be possible since the fry get nutrition form the parents for many weeks. I'll head to the ocean and pick up a few buckets of water....can't beat it for the BBS.

brewmaster15
11-05-2018, 05:05 PM
Thank you, never thought of that. I have hatched lots of BBS over the years for various fry, just thought this would be possible since the fry get nutrition form the parents for many weeks. I'll head to the ocean and pick up a few buckets of water....can't beat it for the BBS.

HI,
I wouldn't do that... You really only need salt. just pick up some some water softener salt (sodium chloride) or kosher salt at the grocery store. You never know what the seawater will add to the bbs.

as for your question.. You don't need BBS. You will have the best success and most even growing fry if you use it though.

The fry will feed off the parents but chew them raw if theres too many , thats where the BBs comes in. It allows for more even growth, higher numbers of fry and is clean to feed. But as long as you add additional foods that small enough for them to eat, and you maintain good water quality you can raise them without BBS. I have done it with finely ground pellets, and finely ground Freeze Dried blackworms. The key is to soak it well, feed small amounts often.

hth,
al

megatrev62
11-05-2018, 11:09 PM
HI,
I wouldn't do that... You really only need salt. just pick up some some water softener salt (sodium chloride) or kosher salt at the grocery store. You never know what the seawater will add to the bbs.

as for your question.. You don't need BBS. You will have the best success and most even growing fry if you use it though.

The fry will feed off the parents but chew them raw if theres too many , thats where the BBs comes in. It allows for more even growth, higher numbers of fry and is clean to feed. But as long as you add additional foods that small enough for them to eat, and you maintain good water quality you can raise them without BBS. I have done it with finely ground pellets, and finely ground Freeze Dried blackworms. The key is to soak it well, feed small amounts often.

hth,
al

Thank you for your reply.The reason I use the ocean water is I'm in Newfoundland surrounded by it and many here including me have used it for reef tanks as well as hatching the shrimp without adverse affects. Hatched it for angels and Bangaii cardinal fry with good results.Is there something in particular with discus fry to be concerned about? The water is only 10 minutes from the house. Please don't get me wrong, I totally get what you're saying. Thanks

Seems going with the bbs is important.

LizStreithorst
11-05-2018, 11:30 PM
By all means use BBS. I wouldn't consider trying to raise baby Discus without it.

As far as using your ocean water, if you think it's worth the effort it will take, go for it. There is always a risk when you use "wild" water it's, unlikely but you might introduce a pathogen that does harm. I'll go for tap water and a spoonful of table salt. It's so much easier.

Willie
11-05-2018, 11:37 PM
I've successfully weaned fry from BBS to minced beefheart as early as 11 days free swimming. Although fry will feed readily on BBS, I don't see much growth until they switch over to beefheart.

Willie

megatrev62
11-06-2018, 01:46 AM
By all means use BBS. I wouldn't consider trying to raise baby Discus without it.

As far as using your ocean water, if you think it's worth the effort it will take, go for it. There is always a risk when you use "wild" water it's, unlikely but you might introduce a pathogen that does harm. I'll go for tap water and a spoonful of table salt. It's so much easier.

Thank you for commenting. Yeah I may play it safe this time. And congrats !!!!

megatrev62
11-06-2018, 01:48 AM
I've successfully weaned fry from BBS to minced beefheart as early as 11 days free swimming. Although fry will feed readily on BBS, I don't see much growth until they switch over to beefheart.

Willie

Thank you. As I say. the reason I asked for any and all input. Thanks again

megatrev62
11-12-2018, 02:54 PM
I did go with the kosher salt....all good.