PDA

View Full Version : Today, Who has Discus fry?

brewmaster15
11-11-2018, 10:01 AM
Morning all,
Kind of a spot check, but I wanted to see how many of you have fry from a pair you bred currently and what kind and age ? Tell us about them here please.

Thanks,
Al

William Palumbo
11-11-2018, 12:22 PM
Right now I have Oriximina fry, Curipera cross fry, both spawns a couple months old, and some fry a bit over a week old feeding off my newly formed Curipera fry...and that's plenty!...Bill

brewmaster15
11-14-2018, 03:42 PM
Looks like its just us Bill! :) Love to see some pics!

al

anyone else?

warblad79
11-14-2018, 04:16 PM
I'm currently have the following breeding pairs.
- Giant Flora with fry
- Blue moon heckel cross tending eggs
- Giant Flora x RSG wild type still waiting to spawn probably anytime this week.

Also raising this batch

sanjay21
11-14-2018, 04:27 PM
Any Fry ? Here goes :D

Wild Blue x Curipera Cross ( 1 batch currently attached) and their previous batch at a month old
Cobalt x Silver pigeon ( at 2 months old)
Red Turqs (at 2 months old)
Leopard Snakeskins ( at 2 months old)

Its soooo busy in the busy room :)

danotaylor
11-14-2018, 07:08 PM
Any Fry ? Cobalt x Silver pigeon
Sanjay can you plz post some pics of this pair and there fry? Love yo see em! Thx

Mando
11-14-2018, 08:01 PM
Any Fry ? Here goes :D

Wild Blue x Curipera Cross ( 1 batch currently attached) and their previous batch at a month old
Cobalt x Silver pigeon ( at 2 months old)
Red Turqs (at 2 months old)
Leopard Snakeskins ( at 2 months old)

Its soooo busy in the busy room :)

Start a thread with al the fry grow outs! I would love to see them

sanjay21
11-14-2018, 11:14 PM
Sanjay can you plz post some pics of this pair and there fry? Love yo see em! Thx
Not a big batch to begin with and had to cull like 5 of them (heavy peppering and runts) But the other few have great potential and possible white butterflies :) I will post pictures !

Start a thread with al the fry grow outs! I would love to see them
Sure Mando! I will work on that over the weekend.

Nate454
11-15-2018, 09:41 PM
warblad79 - Thank you for sharing your successes! Maybe one day I will get to post similar success. I'm curious as to how large the grow out tank is pictured above and how many discus are you housing in it? Thank you!

Mr.BigBlock
11-15-2018, 10:04 PM
I have some week old fry...Albino Golden Leopard Snake Skins.

LizStreithorst
11-15-2018, 10:13 PM
Y'all make me sad. I wanted to have fry from home bred fish by now. I should have, but have had nothing but bad luck. All I can say is that I keep trying with my beautiful home bred spotted SS male with a very good quality purchased Classic Spotted Leopard female. They do everything right. The male makes his runs. He attacks me with a vengeance when they have eggs. The eggs all fungus. It's frustrating because all I have to do is look at an Angel pair and I can get wigglers.

warblad79
11-15-2018, 10:21 PM
Just hatched today...Blue moon heckel x

danotaylor
11-15-2018, 11:19 PM
Just hatched today...Blue moon heckel x

Of the fish of yours that I have seen mate, that is by far my favorite!!

warblad79
11-16-2018, 12:09 AM
Of the fish of yours that I have seen mate, that is by far my favorite!!

One of my favorite as well.

Mr.BigBlock
11-16-2018, 12:16 AM
Y'all make me sad. I wanted to have fry from home bred fish by now. I should have, but have had nothing but bad luck. All I can say is that I keep trying with my beautiful home bred spotted SS male with a very good quality purchased Classic Spotted Leopard female. They do everything right. The male makes his runs. He attacks me with a vengeance when they have eggs. The eggs all fungus. It's frustrating because all I have to do is look at an Angel pair and I can get wigglers.

Hey Liz,

This is the first time this pair has had wigglers...eggs usually fungus over. I was about to give up on the male!

Joie

LizStreithorst
11-16-2018, 08:44 AM
Hey Liz,

This is the first time this pair has had wigglers...eggs usually fungus over. I was about to give up on the male!

Joie

You understand the frustration then. I keep hoping that he's just slow to mature. I know I'll never get fry from him if I give up.

danotaylor
11-16-2018, 09:51 AM
I have about 25 or so wigglers this morning from this latest spawn. I had 2 spawns fungus and come to nought after the last wigglers. I was discouraged also. I am praying I get free swimmers that attach this time round.

Mr.BigBlock
11-16-2018, 02:26 PM
You understand the frustration then. I keep hoping that he's just slow to mature. I know I'll never get fry from him if I give up.

That's the spirit!

Mr.BigBlock
11-16-2018, 02:27 PM
I have about 25 or so wigglers this morning from this latest spawn. I had 2 spawns fungus and come to nought after the last wigglers. I was discouraged also. I am praying I get free swimmers that attach this time round.

Very nice!

For100
11-16-2018, 06:45 PM
I had two pairs laying eggs in my display tank on Sunday/Monday, both batches of fry successfully attached yesterday. I was super excited because one pair was guarding about 50+ free swimmers in a corner all day keeping all other fish at bay. As soon as I turned lights off, fry started wonder around and other fishes ate them all except a few. I saved about 15 that I am planning to raise artificially. I am just stubborn, it is a blue scorpion X giant blue pair that I really like.

So, I am disappointed that I did not act sooner. Again, fool’s hope thinking that I could raise them in the display tank if I had a good set of parents. No a chance. :(

Mattgoanna
11-17-2018, 07:47 AM
Raising two batches from this pair at the moment

brewmaster15
11-17-2018, 08:28 AM

Liz, Try this. Next time they are getting ready to spawn, take a piece of cardboard and cover the sides of the tank.. I usually cut a small flap so I can peak when I do this, Keep the tank covered from the moment they start laying. Do not feed them. Do not fuss with the tank. Do not do a water change. At the most, slide a cage over the eggs if you want to be extra safe. Forget about them a few a days. Do not remove the cardboard until after the fry attach.

Why do this? The pair may be so distracted that they aren't doing what they need to do. By covering the sides like this, the only focus they have is on each other and the eggs. I don't know why it works but I have had great success doing this with problem pairs.

This pair always does better in a private honey moon suite.:)

hth,
al

LizStreithorst
11-17-2018, 10:24 AM
I guess anything is worth a try, but I don't believe that any of their eggs are fertile. The parents guard them until after it's obvious to me that the eggs are starting to fungus.

danotaylor
11-17-2018, 10:34 AM
My pair ate their wigglers last night...again...I might try that method as well Al, though i I prob need to get them into their own tank inside of the sectioned 125 gal...I feel your pain Liz, argh :(

brewmaster15
11-17-2018, 10:49 AM
I guess anything is worth a try, but I don't believe that any of their eggs are fertile. The parents guard them until after it's obvious to me that the eggs are starting to fungus.

Liz have you tried to remove the eggs right after fertilization and hatch in a Jar with meth blue?

LizStreithorst
11-17-2018, 10:52 AM
No. That was suggested to me by someone else here but I forgot about it. Do I need to toss an air stone in? That's what you do with Angelfish eggs.

brewmaster15
11-17-2018, 11:01 AM
No. That was suggested to me by someone else here but I forgot about it. Do I need to toss an air stone in? That's what you do with Angelfish eggs.

Yes.. just like angels is how I do it. It will at least give you more control over the outcome by removing variables. I am really hopeful that male of yours doesnt have fertility issues... The behavior you describe of aggression and making passes are things I would associate with a healthy, mature and fertile male. fingers crossed for you.
Al

LizStreithorst
11-17-2018, 11:31 AM
Thanks, Al. My fingers are crossed for me, too.

danotaylor
11-17-2018, 12:05 PM
My fingers and toes are crossed both us both ;)

sanjay21
11-24-2018, 01:21 AM

Hey Daniel, I posted an update per your request :)

http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?133408-Cobalt-x-Silver-pigeon-pair&highlight=Cobalt+and+silver+pigeon

danotaylor
11-24-2018, 08:47 AM
Hey Daniel, I posted an update per your request :)

http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?133408-Cobalt-x-Silver-pigeon-pair&highlight=Cobalt+and+silver+pigeon
Thanks mate, they look awesome. Looks like some possible butterflies and even a mercury. Sweet

danotaylor
11-24-2018, 10:52 AM
I have a bunch of wigglers again this morning from my royal yellow x red melon pair...free simmers attached this time perhaps? :crazy:

Lewjo11
11-28-2018, 03:20 PM
Was wondering if there is a website where people post the breeding couple pictures along with the grown fry? Would love to see the out comes Via picture.

brewmaster15
11-28-2018, 03:53 PM
Was wondering if there is a website where people post the breeding couple pictures along with the grown fry? Would love to see the out comes Via picture.

Not really. Problem is its a huge commitment raising fry to adult and not many have the space for it.If you spend some time searching on Simply you could find some.

Alternatively you could start a thread asking for members to post pics of their pairs and grown up fry. It may be slow to develope but might be a great thread in time.:)

al

Maddie
11-28-2018, 09:10 PM
I was shocked to find wigglers yesterday with my neon sapphire pair. They have been laying eggs for the past 5 weeks. I have very hard water TDS 300+ and they are in a 240 gallon community tank. I would have eventually separated them but wanted to let them mature a little bit more in the tank. I figure the eggs will never fertilize or hatch in such hard water. To my surprise, the eggs hatched and the parents have protected them well. I will move the pair to their own tank soon and hopefully see them raise their fry. I might not need an RO system after all. I'm sure I would have better hatch rate but there were over 30+ wigglers.

Mr.BigBlock
11-29-2018, 02:57 PM
I was shocked to find wigglers yesterday with my neon sapphire pair. They have been laying eggs for the past 5 weeks. I have very hard water TDS 300+ and they are in a 240 gallon community tank. I would have eventually separated them but wanted to let them mature a little bit more in the tank. I figure the eggs will never fertilize or hatch in such hard water. To my surprise, the eggs hatched and the parents have protected them well. I will move the pair to their own tank soon and hopefully see them raise their fry. I might not need an RO system after all. I'm sure I would have better hatch rate but there were over 30+ wigglers.

Nice surprise!

RogueDiscus
11-30-2018, 01:08 PM
I've been busy lately and haven't been encouraging my pairs much, but I have a snakeskin pair that has fry that have just attached. (This pair is not related to the ones I had a while ago that were the parents of Al's fry.) If I can keep up with their needs, I plan to try to raise this batch. We'll see.

Dionysius
11-30-2018, 01:17 PM
Raising two batches from this pair at the moment

THOSE are GORGEOUS

D.Teh
11-30-2018, 01:54 PM
His ! I am new member. I have 4 batches of BDxBD and 2 batches GoldenxGolden.

brewmaster15
11-30-2018, 04:53 PM
Welcome to SimplyDiscus Teh Seng!!! Post some pics of those fry please!:)

al

LizStreithorst
11-30-2018, 09:33 PM
That would be great. Please post some. Oh, welcome...