PDA

View Full Version : Red Melons; pigeon or golden bases?

danotaylor
11-18-2018, 04:32 PM
I have come to understand that red melons can be either pigeon blood or golden based. I was told that PB melons will pepper on their nose. Is there anyway to tell if mine are PB or GB? They have no peppering on the nose, and have a creamy yellow base color. Here's a few pics;
Is there anyone with experience that can share their opinion?
TIA,
Danny

Willie
11-18-2018, 05:44 PM
I'd guess that yours is pigeon based. You can see slight peppering at the edge of the ventral and anal fins, but the quality is very good. I prefer pigeon based as the gold gene restricts size.

Willie

danotaylor
11-18-2018, 07:14 PM
Thank you Willie. That is helpful. They both definitely have a little black in their fins. They both have great shape as well. Both are female, active layers, and active eaters. I hope to grow them out to 6.5"+.
As far as partners, the 1 has aligned with a royal yellow, I believe they're a PB based strain. The other with an albino red cover, so not sure what those fry would look like...
I appreciate the feedback mate.

sanjay21
11-19-2018, 01:17 AM
It maybe a pigeon based but I’m sure it’s bred with golden based to get this, that’s how they clean the pigeon strain.

CliffsDiscus
11-20-2018, 08:18 PM
The red color and the yellow are colors from the pigeon bloodline. Golden Discus
are more light tan color.

Cliff

danotaylor
11-22-2018, 06:04 AM
Thanks Sanjay & Cliff. I appreciate the feedback!

I wish my red melons were a pair, instead of 2 females. One is proven with a nice royal yellow, and the other lays regularly (but no wigglers) with a red albino male. I would rather breed them straight rather than cross them but I looked at all the sponsors websites tonight and cannot find any adult ones available...