PDA

View Full Version : What could possibly go wrong?

brewmaster15
11-19-2018, 01:27 PM
My roof recently stopped doing its job and let a bunch of water in to soak the ceiling. I can't replace the sheetrock ceiling until the roof is fixed. The Roof is old and tired so we retired it and hired a Contractor to replace it. The weather has not cooperated though and its gotten pushed back a week. They stop working December so we really only 2 weeks left and theres no way to reschedule until after the Holiday.. They are planning on doing the roof Wednesday now. Swear its a one day job and it will be cleaned up by Thanksgiving. Thats good since I have about 30 family members over. They just delivered the tiles, that was interesting to watch. I have a long "gravel" driveway thats mostly muck with all the rain we have gotten. I can't wait to see them bring down and drop the Dumpster.. Thats going to be real interesting.:)

So the day before Thanksgiving I will have a crew working on my roof scrapping, hammering and pounding away while I cook and Prep for the Holiday.Should be real Fun. I really should write a book on all this stuff someday.

I have to ask myself. what could possibly go wrong?:bandana:

al

Second Hand Pat
11-19-2018, 01:32 PM
Oh boy Al, I really hope that all works out. But I would be feeling a little pessimistic about it which I think you do also. :(
Pat

LizStreithorst
11-19-2018, 01:45 PM
Oh boy is right. All we can do is cross our fingers for you. I just started crossing mine now.

Paul Sabucchi
11-19-2018, 02:05 PM
What's the weather forecast? I'm joining in the collective finger-crossing (here in Italy they have more colourful superstitious gestures that are not suitable to be described in polite company)

Second Hand Pat
11-19-2018, 02:11 PM
Guys, it's called crossing all body parts lol
Pat

discuspaul
11-19-2018, 02:57 PM
Despite the old tired saying: " whatever can go wrong, you can be sure it will ".

Having said that, Al - I truly believe luck is on your side, and you'll have a very pleasant Thanksgiving that all your family & friends will enjoy! It will work that way - I can sense it.

fljones3
11-19-2018, 04:10 PM
What you don’t want to do is ask that question!

Pices
11-19-2018, 06:03 PM
Yikes! That’s stressful. I’m hoping you’ll have 1 more thing to be thankful for!
Patty

brewmaster15
11-20-2018, 09:46 AM
Thanks all.
Crossing my fingers as the crew got here a day early... they are working now but the weather is iffy today .. morning rain possible. Its pretty gray out there. Hopefully it hold off. The afternoon and tomorrow look good. Fingers crossed it all goes well.
al

Paul Sabucchi
11-20-2018, 10:15 AM
So far so good then?

brewmaster15
11-20-2018, 10:22 AM
At this point yes... they are scraping off the old shingles right now.. Theres a crew of 5 guys.,1 foreman, 4 workers. These guys are no nonsense hard workers.
al

LizStreithorst
11-20-2018, 10:25 AM
With 5 guys they'll get it done for sure. Did they get the dumpster in alright?

brewmaster15
11-20-2018, 11:26 AM
They did Liz, getting out with all that weight will be the trick! So far so good.. they haveit ripped up and are replacing some softboards.. Its not as bad as I feared but I know now where the water came in... fireplace peak was a bit rotted.

Al

LizStreithorst
11-20-2018, 11:52 AM
They're moving along fast. As long as they get it blacked in before the rain they can do the shingles later. Are you getting regular shingles or Architectural shingles? I bet you're feeling about Thanksgiving.

brewmaster15
11-20-2018, 12:03 PM
Architectural. Figure its a good investment if I sell in the future.

Thanksgiving is definitely looking up. :)

brewmaster15
11-20-2018, 04:18 PM
Left the house at 11am for a few hours errands. Passed the crew on the road as I returned.

Done and cleaned up. They put everything backthe moved..picked up nails...7 hrs total.

pretty impressive! Now I can focus on feeding the masses in 2 days.

al

al

discuspaul
11-20-2018, 04:51 PM
Wonderful !
It's great that nothing went wrong -although perhaps my 6th sense about it turning out that way for you was nothing more than a pure lucky feeling !
Now - to Thanksgiving Day - the only thing that MIGHT be of possible concern is deep-frying the turkey - or have you decided on another approach to that, or to another main meat dish in substitution ?

In any event, have a good one !

discuspaul
11-20-2018, 04:52 PM
P.S.

BTW, I love the patterning of the grey roof tiling !

brewmaster15
11-20-2018, 05:07 PM
Wonderful !
It's great that nothing went wrong -although perhaps my 6th sense about it turning out that way for you was nothing more than a pure lucky feeling !
Now - to Thanksgiving Day - the only thing that MIGHT be of possible concern is deep-frying the turkey - or have you decided on another approach to that, or to another main meat dish in substitution ?

In any event, have a good one !

Thanks Paul on all accounts!

I am leaning on going traditional oven on the turkey this time. Its supposed to be insanely cold here... mid 20s and 17 mph winds.. I dont think thats turkey frying weather. At least its not in my book.

Having a single oven though makes it difficult so I hit the attic and brought down an old portable Roaster over. Too small for a 23 lb turkey but just right for a lasagna made in an turkey roaster pan.

Having never made lasagna in roaster oven and Not wanting to make a mess of it I made a test run last night. Used store bought dry lasagna strips to test... it and guage the time... 2 1\2 hrs at 370 F.. perfecto.
The real lasagna will be homemade strips and meatballs.

Now I can cook the turkey in the oven and the lasagna in the roaster oven.

Al

fljones3
11-20-2018, 05:16 PM
That's really attractive! Nice.

discuspaul
11-20-2018, 05:25 PM
The test run lasagna looks mouth-watering, and the formal version for day after tomorrow sounds even better with meatballs and using home-made pasta !

Altum Nut
11-20-2018, 05:46 PM
Glad to hear and see your roof was replaced in time without major damages to plywood sheathing. Looks great.
Now your Thanksgiving lasagna dish even looks much better. You still have that Italian in you Al and sure your guests will enjoy all that is on the menu.

...Ralph

LizStreithorst
11-20-2018, 06:30 PM
It looks great, Al.

Pices
11-20-2018, 07:39 PM
Yipee! I think your dinner will be as big of a success from what I’ve seen so far. Maybe that’s why when my husband called asking what to bring home for dinner, I kept thinking Italian! That lasagna looks great. We had pizza:D
Patty

discuspaul
11-20-2018, 09:23 PM
Hey Al, don't forget to tell us how it all went after Thanksgiving - just want to make sure nothing messed up your lovely Thanksgiving dinner.

When I told my wife Linda (who is Italian) about your roof leak issue, getting it fixed at the 11th hour, and your doing a test run of lasagna in your attic retrieved roasting oven before the big day, in order to be able to do the turkey in the oven, she said:
".... of course, all Italian families must have a pasta with all their celebration dinners with family & friends, particularly Thanksgiving & Christmas, etc...." ---- it all sounded very normal/natural to her.

Second Hand Pat
11-20-2018, 09:56 PM
So glad this all worked out Al and love the grey roof. Came out real nice. :)
Pat

Mr.BigBlock
11-21-2018, 02:24 PM
Hey Al,

Roof looks good, lasagna looks good...you're on a roll!

Joie