PDA

View Full Version : My Discus keeps relapsing with sickness-please please help

Retha
12-08-2018, 08:27 AM
My juvenile discus keeps relapsing.
60 gallon tall tank -planted w/gravel.
2 juvenile discus, 1 adult discus, 1 juvenile angel, 1 adult Angel, 3 very very small albino corys.
No bullying
Temp steady 86 degrees-increased to 88 degrees during med treatments.
NitrAtes-5-10
Ammonia-0
Nitrites-0
PH-steady 8.0
Hard water
Feed-freezed dried Australian Black worms-
that’s all they will eat
Water changes- 30-50% every three days with aged gassed out water with same ph and temp.
All fish healthy except one juvenile discus.
Symptoms-White stringy poo, dark in color, not eating, staying in corner by himself.
Treated with API General Cure, API Melafix, Epsom Salt and raised temp combo as per directions.
Then water change of 30% and carbon added.
He started to look and act better and was eating well with Normal poo. Lasted about a week and relapsed with same symptoms.
Did a second same treatment only kept meds in for 7 days this time in stead of 4 days. Same reaction-got better, started eating, looking and acting better.
Again, lasted about a week and relapsed.
Not sure what to do now!!
New to discus-but years with fresh water aquariums.
Please help-I would hate to lose this little guy.
Thank you
-Retha

Pices
12-08-2018, 09:20 AM
He needs to go in a hospital tank. Increase temp to 90 and treat with Metronidazole 500 mg per gal. Do the biggest wc you can do and re dose daily for 10-12 days I’m pretty sure. Maybe someone else is certain? I’ve also read 12-14 days or until fish is eating again. I had a heck of a time finding a gram scale till I went to a head shop. Ha ha
Patty

Retha
12-09-2018, 10:40 AM
Ok-I will give it a try-I thought that the metro in general Cure would do it but maybe I also didn’t have the temp high enough too-all of my heaters say they only go to 88 degrees -where can I get a heater that goes that high
Thank for helping me

LizStreithorst
12-09-2018, 10:53 AM
There is not a high enough concentration of metro in General Cure. What you are doing is encouraging resistance. Get your metro from Jehmco and treat as Patty suggested. Since the hex has developed some resistance to metro, I would treat for 12-14 days. The temp of 90 will help but I don't know if your cory's can handle that high of a temp. Unless this is a planted tank I would treat all the fish in the tank as the Angels and apparently healthy Discus are likely harboring the parasite, too.

brewmaster15
12-09-2018, 10:54 AM
Can you post some images please?

al

Retha
12-09-2018, 01:54 PM
I wanted to get clear on the Metro-is it 500mg per gallon as posted-or 500mg per ten gallons

LizStreithorst
12-09-2018, 02:17 PM
500 per 10.

Pices
12-09-2018, 04:00 PM
Sorry, I meant 500/10 gal. Also not sure how the cory’s would do.
Patty

snxtif
12-09-2018, 11:24 PM
I had a heck of a time finding a gram scale till I went to a head shop. Ha ha
Patty

All you bought there was a gram scale, Patty? ;)

Jack L
12-10-2018, 12:54 AM
i lost a lot of cories when that temp went that high by accident.

Mando
12-10-2018, 09:58 AM
All you bought there was a gram scale, Patty? ;)
LOL

For the OP, you also have 2 juvies with one adult fish and other species of fish. Discus do best in schools and the fact that there are only two juvies might be stressing them. Juvies are easily frightened. The adult discus might not peck at them, but he/she may be intimidating the littles ones in other ways; presence alone is intimidating.