PDA

View Full Version : Deworming?

megatrev62
12-08-2018, 11:45 AM
Is deworming something that has to be done? I have 20 fry , just over a month old and was wondering about this? If it is a must, when should it be done? I have no idea about this. Thanks

jeep
12-08-2018, 11:51 AM
I think I'd wait a bit before deworming fry that young unless you're having problems. After some recent problems I've had, I plan to deworm any new arrivals during QT with Levamisole as a standard practice...

megatrev62
12-08-2018, 12:06 PM
I think I'd wait a bit before deworming fry that young unless you're having problems. After some recent problems I've had, I plan to deworm any new arrivals during QT with Levamisole as a standard practice...

Thanks, no problems with the fry. I have frozen beef heart given to me with a " a dewormer" in it according to the fellow I purchased discus from two years ago. He said give the fish one feed of this and all is good, which I did at the time.Got out of discus hobby shortly after (commitment reasons more than anything).Picked up some juvies a few months later and got back at it.The reason I ask is I still have some of that BH in the freezer and wondering if the fry should have some. If they are too young, when do you think I should feed it? Should I give it to them in a few months?

jeep
12-08-2018, 12:37 PM
How big are your fry now? I'm not the pro in this area, but I'd say maybe wait until they are 3-4". If they are small, this is a critical time in gaining growth and shape. I wouldn't want to accidentally affect them in a bad way for something that may not be necessary. If small fry have parasite issues, you would know it...

megatrev62
12-08-2018, 12:45 PM
How big are your fry now? I'm not the pro in this area, but I'd say maybe wait until they are 3-4". If they are small, this is a critical time in gaining growth and shape. I wouldn't want to accidentally affect them in a bad way for something that may not be necessary. If small fry have parasite issues, you would know it...

They are an inch or so give or take. Glad I got an answer to this.I will wait until they are 3-4 inches barring anything happening in that time frame. Thanks again.

jeep
12-08-2018, 12:55 PM
1" fry should still attack bbs if you have it available. You should see good growth nearly daily at this time!

megatrev62
12-08-2018, 01:06 PM
1" fry should still attack bbs if you have it available. You should see good growth nearly daily at this time!

Yes it seems they grow daily. I give them frozen BH pretty much 100% right now. They attack it like crazy !! I quit producing bbs but give them a feed of frozen bbs (quick frozen) now and then.