PDA

View Full Version : QT/Hospital/Breeding Tank

fljones3
12-21-2018, 03:58 PM
Just wondering what the consensus was on this tank. I have had a couple of discus who needed separate stints in a hospital tank. Come Thursday, the discus will be returned to the group. So, how does one handle a empty tank? No new fish coming. No discus pairs yet. No fish needing a "time out" for healing.

I thought about adding ammonia periodically to maintain the sponge filter. Doing weekly water changes on an empty tank - not so appealing. I could just tear it down and await its next usage. I don't see much in adding some angels (any other fish) as this will just put me in the position of adding another tank later. :)

Thoughts?

Cove Beach
12-21-2018, 09:53 PM
If you have a sump just drop the sponge in and empty the tank till needed.

RickMay1
12-21-2018, 10:18 PM
People are confused about the whole "cycle the tank" thing...

empty the tank.
put the filter in another tank.
job done.

next time you need to QT a fish

Fill the tank
move the filter to the QT tank
job done.

You cant "cycle" a glass box. It is the filter that needs to stay alive.

fljones3
12-22-2018, 10:42 AM
No sump, although I might try one in the future. Rick, that's true "you can't cycle a glass box". I might have to hold off with my backup sponge HMF and just put this sponge back in the main tank (after cleaning of course).

Filip
12-22-2018, 12:23 PM
I bleach them along with the equipment after the use and keep them dry and away untill I nee them again .
When I buy new fish and need insta cycle I ask the seller to give me piece of his sponge, or at least a couple of bags of water from his tank along with the fish.
I also use botteled bacteria and daily WCs with safe ,until the bacteria catch up.

fljones3
12-22-2018, 12:27 PM
I bleach them along with the equipment after the use and keep them dry and away untill I nee them again .
When I buy new fish and need insta cycle I ask the seller to give me piece of his sponge, or at least a couple of bags of water from his tank along with the fish.
I also use botteled bacteria and daily WCs with safe ,until the bacteria catch up.

Excellent Filip! Thanks.