PDA

View Full Version : New here and looking to learn

JoeDigiorgio
01-04-2019, 05:48 AM
Hi everyone. I’m Joe and I live in south Florida. I’ve been breeding fish at the hobby level on and off since the late 90s. I have bred both fresh and saltwater fish including livebearers, bettas, many cichlids, loricariids, tetras, scalare angels and into marine species like clownfish and a few other marine ornamentals but I have never had a single discus in my collection. I personally never loved the look of the designer crosses but recently I’ve become fascinated with learning the wild types. South American cichlids and planted tanks have always been my true love even after many years keeping and breeding several marine species.

I’m currently in the process of setting up a 125 lightly planted with intentions of keeping wild type discus and altums and probably some small dither tetras. I’ve already gone through and read most of the info available on here about nutrition and water quality standards for discus. I don’t have any questions just yet but they’ll be coming.

Second Hand Pat
01-04-2019, 06:24 AM
Welcome to Simply Joe :D We are here for whenever you are ready with the questions. :) I think you will find discus a lot different then keeping other fresh or marine fish.
Pat

JoeDigiorgio
01-04-2019, 06:42 AM
Thank you, I’m hoping so. I am excited to be working on something new.

Mando
01-04-2019, 07:37 AM
Welcome, Joe! Since you're in SFL, your in luck with wilds and possibly wild atums. Jack Wattkey is in north Miami and has a huge selection.

I also love cichlids and I can say that I have well over 30 different cichlids in my pond. About 150 total.

Pices
01-04-2019, 10:31 AM
Hi Joe,
Welcome to Simply Discus. My next discus tank will be wilds as I’ve become infatuated with them. I am also from south Florida. Are you on the gulf or ocean side?
Thanks for sharing your journey into wilds. I’ll be watching, learning, and drooling as your new project unfolds.
Patty

Swedgin
01-04-2019, 11:18 AM
Welcome, Joe.

Nothing beats a nice wild discus tank, in my opinion.

Your stocking plans seem sensible, however I would focus on getting the discus settled first before adding the Altums. Though not as bad as other angel fish they can be quite greedy eaters and in my experience it helps when the discus are already established in the tank before adding this kind of competition.

Have you thought about which species (strain) of wilds you want to keep?

JoeDigiorgio
01-04-2019, 11:36 AM
Welcome, Joe! Since you're in SFL, your in luck with wilds and possibly wild atums. Jack Wattkey is in north Miami and has a huge selection.

I also love cichlids and I can say that I have well over 30 different cichlids in my pond. About 150 total.

Yes! I’m in Broward county and have already been in contact with Gabe. I’ll probably go down there and pick them in person.

Hi Joe,
Welcome to Simply Discus. My next discus tank will be wilds as I’ve become infatuated with them. I am also from south Florida. Are you on the gulf or ocean side?
Thanks for sharing your journey into wilds. I’ll be watching, learning, and drooling as your new project unfolds.
Patty

Ocean side! Just a few miles west of Ft Lauderdale beach. I am terrible at keeping up with my own build journals but I’ll be sure to post as I go.

Welcome, Joe.

Nothing beats a nice wild discus tank, in my opinion.

Your stocking plans seem sensible, however I would focus on getting the discus settled first before adding the Altums. Though not as bad as other angel fish they can be quite greedy eaters and in my experience it helps when the discus are already established in the tank before adding this kind of competition.

Have you thought about which species (strain) of wilds you want to keep?

I haven’t settled on a locale yet and may not settle until I’m actually picking fish with Gabe. If I understand correctly his altums are significantly smaller than his discus right now which is good. Realistically I don’t know that I could swing buying everything at once even if I wanted to. The tank isn’t even wet yet so I don’t want to get ahead of myself lol

Thanks for the well wishes everyone!

Swedgin
01-04-2019, 11:42 AM
Yes! I’m in Broward county and have already been in contact with Gabe. I’ll probably go down there and pick them in person.

Ocean side! Just a few miles west of Ft Lauderdale beach. I am terrible at keeping up with my own build journals but I’ll be sure to post as I go.

I haven’t settled on a locale yet and may not settle until I’m actually picking fish with Gabe. If I understand correctly his altums are significantly smaller than his discus right now which is good. Realistically I don’t know that I could swing buying everything at once even if I wanted to. The tank isn’t even wet yet so I don’t want to get ahead of myself lol

Thanks for the well wishes everyone!

If you’re getting them from Gabe I assume your choices for reds and blues will be Batata, Jacarecappa or Cuipeua this year. I’ve recently selected some myself, went with Batata and Jacarecappa. You’re in for a treat...

JoeDigiorgio
01-04-2019, 12:06 PM
If you’re getting them from Gabe I assume your choices for reds and blues will be Batata, Jacarecappa or Cuipeua this year. I’ve recently selected some myself, went with Batata and Jacarecappa. You’re in for a treat...

His Cuipeua that he got in are absolutely stunning and definitely the first ones I want to see when I’m there. A friend of mine had some wild blue heckles a couple years back and those were also amazing.

Is it frowned upon to keep more than one wild strain in the same display? I don’t plan to breed but if it happens I won’t be stopping it. In my experience even in displays sometimes a couple of babies can survive with good parents. I’m not a big fan of crosses as I’ve said but the discus community seems welcoming to it more than other communities.

Swedgin
01-04-2019, 12:54 PM
I don’t think it’s frowned upon, many people keep all 3 species together.

I prefer to keep mine apart simply for aesthetic reasons. If I could I would even separate them by location, but that’s not possible due to space restrictions (read wife restrictions)

JoeDigiorgio
01-04-2019, 03:32 PM
I can very much relate. This tank was only sanctioned by the wife because our kids are now old enough to enjoy an aquarium and she finally missed having a display in the house. This will be my first display tank in 2 and a half years since buying this house.

It comes with stipulations too. She doesn’t want black water in the living room and there have to be a decent number of dither fish for my sons to enjoy. Thinking tetras, corys and probably capuchin swordtails.

Swedgin
01-04-2019, 03:47 PM
I’d personally pass on the swordtails. If you get some large cardinal tetras and some Sterbai cories there will be plenty of color to enjoy. Your call of course

JoeDigiorgio
01-04-2019, 03:56 PM
Why not swords? They seem like they’d be perfect tank mates?

Swedgin
01-04-2019, 04:00 PM
Just a personal preference as they are not South American.

But definitely nothing wrong with adding them.

JoeDigiorgio
01-04-2019, 04:12 PM
Ah yes normally I’d feel the same way but I already have them and they grow into really impressive fish in a larger aquarium. I was making sure there wasn’t a compatibility issue.

Mando
01-04-2019, 04:40 PM
Just came from Gabe’s warehouse and the very first display tank has some jumbo blue heckels and altums that are huge. Their length greatly surpasses the blue heckels. It was so hard choosing a fish. So many! I agree with your comment about not getting all the different species of fish at once, but atleast budget for 6 discus minimum.

JoeDigiorgio
01-04-2019, 05:26 PM
Just came from Gabe’s warehouse and the very first display tank has some jumbo blue heckels and altums that are huge. Their length greatly surpasses the blue heckels. It was so hard choosing a fish. So many! I agree with your comment about not getting all the different species of fish at once, but atleast budget for 6 discus minimum.

What did you get?! Do you live in Miami or Broward?

Mando
01-04-2019, 06:05 PM
What did you get?! Do you live in Miami or Broward?

I live in Miami. Picked up two Tefe green wild and 1x largo Grande wild. Absolutely love the largo Grande. I’ll pick up some more in the future. I posted photos on my thread.

http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?134330-A-year-later-My-tank-Journal/page2

JoeDigiorgio
01-04-2019, 08:35 PM
Just checked them out. Stunners. I’m so excited to get mine. A friend of mine is breaking down a huge planted tank soon and I will probably snag one of his Eheim canisters straight off of it to boost my cycle. May very well be able to buy some fish in a week or two.