PDA

View Full Version : Sick Discus: I am in dire need of advice

MossSach
01-06-2019, 12:28 PM
Hi everyone
This is my first post.

I have a 6inch discus that has not eaten in two month. I have tried several different things to no avail.

Tank size: 450 litres
Amonia : 0
Nitrite : 0
Nitrate: 40 ppm
Temp: 32C
TDS < 100

Water used: RO

Symtoms
The discus always stays in one corner. Never seen it eating. I have 10 other discus who are in the tank. They all seem fine and eat well.
I have not seen the sick discus pass stool.

Medication: in Qt with 10G capacity
5 day metro treatment; 1gm metro daily
No change.
Followed by 4 day heat treatment at 96F temp.
No change.
Now i am finally treating with Api general cure.
Its been 3 days already with API

Today i noticed red stool. But when i put food. It shows no interest.

I am new to the hobby and i am very concerned about this fish. Please help me.

I have been reading and reading this forum and hoping i will find the answer. Be the saviour i need. Please

brewmaster15
01-06-2019, 02:28 PM
Welcome to Simply!

Can you post some images please. It would help. Not eating in 2 months sounds pretty severe. Pics would definitely help/

al

MossSach
01-07-2019, 03:11 AM
Welcome to Simply!

Can you post some images please. It would help. Not eating in 2 months sounds pretty severe. Pics would definitely help/

al

I have attached pictures as per your request. Please advice me what i can do help this guy.

Johney Blaze
01-07-2019, 03:33 AM
Continue pure metro 5 more days...API is not strong enough to cure severe parasites. Water temp should be 86 to 89 during treatment. Also add some salt so the fish can poo it out...watch the tank...you should dose the tank if you see signs of cross contamination

MossSach
01-07-2019, 04:21 AM
So what i understand from your message:
A. Dose the QT for 5 more days with pure metro
B. Watch the Community tank for signs of cross contamination.

Do i have you??

Johney Blaze
01-07-2019, 10:36 AM
Correct. The main thing is that your discus needs to eat soon. 2 months is a long time to not eat. Try it's favorite food. Treatment is supposed to be up to 2 weeks even though they start eating before 2 weeks. The fish looks good for not eating so dont give up yet. please update us soon. Get some frozen beefH and see if the fish eats , or FDblackworms ...got to beef them up before you return him or her to the tank .

Mando
01-07-2019, 11:37 AM
Correct. The main thing is that your discus needs to eat soon. 2 months is a long time to not eat. Try it's favorite food. Treatment is supposed to be up to 2 weeks even though they start eating before 2 weeks. The fish looks good for not eating so dont give up yet. please update us soon. Get some frozen beefH and see if the fish eats , or FDblackworms ...got to beef them up before you return him or her to the tank .

To piggy back on Johney Blaze's post. Normally, they cannot resist live black worms. Try to feed it live food asap. If that doesn't work, try garlic soaked pellets.

Johney Blaze
01-07-2019, 12:42 PM
Good call . I have a snow white discus that hasn't eaten in 3 days . Medicating with metro seachem. Gonna try live black or bloods . The fish almost ate this morning and is scavenging the ground for food, picking at red rocks. Ugh

Mando
01-07-2019, 04:55 PM
Good call . I have a snow white discus that hasn't eaten in 3 days . Medicating with metro seachem. Gonna try live black or bloods . The fish almost ate this morning and is scavenging the ground for food, picking at red rocks. Ugh

3 days is not too bad. I personally do not like to feed live food. I just feed live if I had an extreme case like the OP's. Yours should come around after treatment is done.

MossSach
01-08-2019, 02:25 AM
Continue pure metro 5 more days...API is not strong enough to cure severe parasites. Water temp should be 86 to 89 during treatment. Also add some salt so the fish can poo it out...watch the tank...you should dose the tank if you see signs of cross contamination
Now the fish is on the floor. I have a feeling it may have to do with the salt. Attaching pictures. What do suggest now?122151

Johney Blaze
01-08-2019, 08:34 AM
He's getting weaker. Do a water change only with a dash of salt and see if he props up straight. How much salt did you dose ? Has he pooped more ?

Johney Blaze
01-08-2019, 09:02 AM
MossSach. I'm feeling your pain. I want your fish to recover. Just hang in there. Sometimes discus veterans run into sick fish that they can't even save. Wish your fish would eat . Sometimes these fish are stressed long before you purchase them with a lurking sickness inside them. Your last effort would be to take a break from meds and then try Furan ( that helped a owner who's fish were all laying flat ) most recovered. Good luck

MossSach
01-08-2019, 09:19 AM
Wow. That was comforting. I have never seen this fish eat since i got her. So yea you maybe right, i may gotten a sick fish to begin with.

I am new to the hobby but i have tried the best i could to save my baby.

Whats furan though? Too new to know any better.

I will keep you guys posted.

Tuterosso
01-08-2019, 10:57 AM
its some kind of bacteria, i have malboro who lay dawn like your fish and i use sera baktoforte in tabs. i think 1 tabs=50L for 3 days (bath 1 tabs on 2L for 30min) and dont make WC in this time, after 3 days make 50% WC then make this one more time. after this treatment use salt 1g=1L. Mine malboro few days later start eats

MossSach
01-08-2019, 01:12 PM
I just did this. Cleansed the guy straight away. I saw a lot poo come out. I really hope this is it.

https://youtu.be/QNsd-65u6MU

Johney Blaze
01-08-2019, 01:38 PM
What action did you do ? What color and how long ?

MossSach
01-08-2019, 01:59 PM
Here is the link.
https://youtu.be/QNsd-65u6MU
I followed this guy.
The poop was green.
And fish instantaneously got its color back.
I have a feeling this might work.

MossSach
01-12-2019, 12:58 PM
On Fifth day of forced metro oral treatment i noticed white stringy poo.
Wondering if i should continue treatment.
Still no eating. Any suggestions??

jeep
01-12-2019, 02:08 PM
Interesting video. During this treatment, have you tried injecting food as well as medicine?

MossSach
01-12-2019, 02:14 PM
I tried using brine shrimp eggs with medicine. Did that two days. Other 3 days just medicine. My only concern is that on the last day of treatment (day 5; today) i noticed white stringy poo. Now i am wondering if i should continue the treatment further or is 5 days enough. Catch 22

MossSach
01-12-2019, 03:03 PM
So i hear from other members you are the real expert.
Dear friend,
Please take out sometime to read this thread. You advice might just save my baby.
Would really appreciate it. Thank You.

MossSach
01-12-2019, 03:04 PM
Re: Sick Discus: I am in dire need of advice

So i hear from other members you are the real expert.
Dear friend,
Please take out sometime to read this thread. You advice might just save my baby.
Would really appreciate it. Thank You.