PDA

View Full Version : Preemptive Dose of API General Cure for New Fish

CammieTime
01-08-2019, 03:40 PM
Just curious if anyone automatically doses some General Cure when they get a new batch of fish to kill off the usual suspects, even if the fish don't show signs immediately?

Last year my new fish would not eat and after two weeks the only thing that gave them a kick in the pants and got them eating and acting normal was a dose of General Cure. They would have died had I not done this.

I'm thinking for future new fish shipments to always give them some General Cure after a day or so to avoid any issues. Good/bad idea?

jeep
01-08-2019, 04:15 PM
You're on the right track! Although General Cure is a fairly weak medication. Check out this thread... http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?21044-Quarantine-*questions

Johney Blaze
01-10-2019, 11:32 AM
You must �� percent quarantine any new fish, especially discus. Unfortunately most people like to gamble. Watch Als presentation on keeping discus. It will explain everything.

Johney Blaze
01-10-2019, 11:37 AM
A new fish will look healthy for even 2 weeks,before their parasite shows. It's best to do a full QT.

CammieTime
04-17-2019, 01:20 PM
I always do full QT. What I find though is that every time I get new fish only three or four fish out of 10 will eat at all within two weeks. The rest will not eat and die unless I give them a treatment of API general cure. Is this normal?

bluelagoon
04-17-2019, 02:06 PM
Not normal. Where do you get your fish? Just curious if it's from the same place each time you get a new batch.

LizStreithorst
04-17-2019, 04:44 PM
Reputable sellers make sure that the fish are clean before they are shipped.

danotaylor
04-17-2019, 05:46 PM
+1 with Liz...and eating as well...

bluelagoon
04-18-2019, 07:28 AM
Young discus should be up and active and always looking to be fed. If not don't get them. Often the ones in the LPS look a bit lethargic from improper care.

Filip
04-18-2019, 09:08 AM
My 2 inch Stendkers ate the first night I put them in my tank after a 6 hour trip that day .
It's either questionable quality of discus(Sick , stressed , not properly cared for ) or your QT tank water quallity issue .
Prophylactic deworming for Nematodes and Cestodes is always a good idea IMO but I would treat for flagelates only if I notice some specific symptoms.

BradGreenberg
04-26-2020, 11:16 AM
preemptive use of API General Cure is a good idea, particularly if you mail order smaller fish. (2 inch). I have learned the hard way, that the smaller fish are particularly prone to parasites/infection. If they get sick when young, stop eating, etc., they will likely be stunted. My experience strongly indicates that if you have young Dicus fish in the tank, when you add any other fish, a round of API Gen Cure (or something similar), is the preferred "ounce of prevention" rather than the "pound of cure."

peewee1
04-26-2020, 01:03 PM
Just curious if anyone automatically doses some General Cure when they get a new batch of fish to kill off the usual suspects, even if the fish don't show signs immediately?

Last year my new fish would not eat and after two weeks the only thing that gave them a kick in the pants and got them eating and acting normal was a dose of General Cure. They would have died had I not done this.

I'm thinking for future new fish shipments to always give them some General Cure after a day or so to avoid any issues. Good/bad idea?

The General Cure is used for every new addition at the local fish store. They swear by it for new fish introductions. It might be a good idea to use it I think because, like Brian said, it is weak medication. Which would be a more gentle way to eradicate the more minor issues.