PDA

View Full Version : Where to buy discus (other fish) online

Goldenmelondiscus
01-11-2019, 01:30 PM
I woke up this morning to find my old discus had passed away. Unfortunately, my LFS sucks, so I'm going to have to go online. Where should I start? I've never bought fish online before, because I want to see the fish and their environment they live in before I bring them home. I'm unable to do that now, so I'm trying something new.

Second Hand Pat
01-11-2019, 02:12 PM
I woke up this morning to find my old discus had passed away. Unfortunately, my LFS sucks, so I'm going to have to go online. Where should I start? I've never bought fish online before, because I want to see the fish and their environment they live in before I bring them home. I'm unable to do that now, so I'm trying something new.

Hi Eric, I would suggest checking out the SimplyDiscus sponsors. Here are all the sponsor boards http://forum.simplydiscus.com/forumdisplay.php?42-SimplyDiscus-Sponsors. Read thru some of the boards and see what other members have to say.
Pat

RogueDiscus
01-11-2019, 03:18 PM
Hi Eric,
I totally agree with Pat on using our sponsors for discus. I've used The Wet Spot for other fish and plants with good results. I'm not recommending them for discus.
Steve

Maddie
01-11-2019, 04:23 PM

Kenny's Discus...just the best! He should have his January shipment coming out soon so good timing for you. I was in your boat a few months ago and gave Kenny a try. He will not disappoint!

14Discus
01-11-2019, 11:08 PM
I second what Maddie said. I’m sure there are several fine suppliers, but my four shipments from Kenny C. we’re fantastic....great fish eating quickly, super well packed, and most importantly, Ken’s service was awesome. He answers questions, is patient, is picky abt sending only the healthiest fish, and he stays in touch long after fish arrive. His Jan. list came out just today. I wish I could get more, but am maxed out for my 75g tank. Working on the wife for a larger one...... I have yet to hear of a dissatisfied customer and when next I need more, he will be my go to man.

danotaylor
01-12-2019, 02:23 AM
I bought my 8 adult discus from Dennis's Discus Shop in Sept 2018 and had an excellent buyer experience with great follow up care. Dennis still msg's me to see how my fish are doing. His fish are excellent quality Asian discus from Vietnam and Malaysia. He is getting a new shipment of 280 discus in the next few weeks. He is SD's newest sponsor and I thoroughly recommend him to you!

brewmaster15
01-12-2019, 09:13 AM
The Sponsors here are a great place to start. Because they are on this site they have alot of skin in the game.Their reputations matter to them and they want to be here. These things combined will give you the safest buying experience in most cases.Though I am sure there are other vendors out there that will do well by you, there sadly are many that will sell you sickly fish.If you don't buy from our excellent sponsors than I would strongly suggest you carefully research the seller before you purchase.

Also keep an eye out for hobbyist sellers in your area. They can be an excellent source for healthy well cared for Discus.

hth,
Al

pm9ljr
01-12-2019, 09:31 AM
I too can whole heartedly recommend Kenny's Discus... we have 10 that we got in two separate transactions.

when I win the lottery tonight will be getting a bigger tank for the new home we will be moving too (hey I can dream can't I?) and will be ordering more

tonytheboss1
01-12-2019, 12:54 PM
:bandana: Hi Eric! Condolences on your loss. I know it's not easy. But Cheer up friend. This is the start of a brand new adventure. As mentioned above, the sponsors on this site are an excellent source for beautiful, healthy discus. My personal recommendation is Discus Hans (http://discus-hans-usa.com/). I've both ordered online & visited his shop (appointment only) to purchase discus & never been disappointed. Excellent specimens, various strains, sizes & prices. Excellent customer service & follow up. Not sure your location but the various sponsors are all over. Good luck. "T"

LizStreithorst
01-12-2019, 02:46 PM
For Discus, any sponsor here will supply you with good healthy fish. I've dealt with Hans, Kenny and not long ago, Chicago Discus and my experiences have been excellent with every one of them. Look at what all the sponsors have on hand and pics the fish from one of them that most tickle your fancy. My last order was from Chicago Discus. A asked for pics of every fish of the strain I was interested in and they sent me pics. I have been to their place. It is impressive to say the least.

For other fish I would check out Aquabid. I have both bought and sold fish there. When buying look at the feedback on the seller. The best sellers have pics of the actual fish they have for sale.

danotaylor
01-12-2019, 06:08 PM
Nothing against Hans or his fish, but he withdrew his SD sponsorship recently. Just sayin...

fljones3
01-12-2019, 08:04 PM
I brought ten from Kenny. Love the fish and his service.

Cove Beach
01-12-2019, 10:29 PM
16 from Kenny, in two groups. Currently have 3 breeding pairs. Like everyone has said before, super guy and fish to match. I was fortunate enough to stop and meet him while on vacation in San Francisco. He answered every question I could think of and then some.

RickMay1
01-12-2019, 11:45 PM
unless you live in the middle of nowhere, try your local fish clubs. A lot of times you can get much better prices, no shipping, and in the process meet someone to answer questions. Downside, they will likely not have a huge selection of types.

tonytheboss1
01-13-2019, 04:40 PM
Nothing against Hans or his fish, but he withdrew his SD sponsorship recently. Just sayin... ]

:computer: Daniel, you have a valid point. Can't speak to the internal misgivings between Hans & the Board or Al but I can attest to his product & service being excellent. I get it, "CURRENT" sponsors should get preferential choice & there are indeed some great ones here but Discus Hans 'footprint' of contribution has impacted this forum for years & should not be so easily dismissed because of a pulled sponsorship. Guess I'm kinda partial cause he & Al & several other 'old timers' here helped me thru a bunch of stuff over the years & I tend not to forget a FRIEND. "T"

LizStreithorst
01-13-2019, 04:48 PM
Good post, Tony.

Discus-Hans
01-19-2019, 12:24 AM
Nothing against Hans or his fish, but he withdrew his SD sponsorship recently. Just sayin...

Hans didn't withdraw his sponsorship, he was removed, with as reason (I think, never got an explonation) I didn't post enough on Simply. My problem is there are just not enough hours in a day and I got a business to run.

I see Al still as a great friend, he just had to do what he thinks is best for his forum and there are totally no hard feelings from my side. I still send people to this forum and will always promote his Australian Blackworms over the California ones.

Hans

SNap0283
01-19-2019, 01:04 AM
Any of the sponsors on this board should be a good choice, and Hans. You will not find a better man nor better fish than Hans and his Stendker discus.

Pices
01-19-2019, 11:19 AM
Eric,
I was nervous about ordering fish too. My only suggestion is to have them shipped earlier in the week as opposed to later in the week so they don’t end up in some distribution center over the weekend. That happened to me, but the sponsor I chose replaced the fish even though it wasn’t his fault. They were so well packed that I only lost 2 out of 7 (in bags for 5 days!) I expected a bunch of dead fish and attribute it to the quality and packing of the fish. Best decision I made was going through a sponsor here. Good luck and we want pictures when you get them! :D.
Patty

tonytheboss1
01-19-2019, 03:27 PM
but the sponsor I chose replaced the fish even though it wasn’t his fault. They were so well packed that I only lost 2 out of 7 (in bags for 5 days!) I expected a bunch of dead fish and attribute it to the quality and packing of the fish. Best decision I made was going through a sponsor here. Good luck and we want pictures when you get them! .
Patty

:computer: OK Patty, who - who?? The suspense is killing me!! :huh::huh::) "T"

Pices
01-19-2019, 04:37 PM
:computer: OK Patty, who - who?? The suspense is killing me!! :huh::huh::) "T"

Kenny

tonytheboss1
01-19-2019, 05:24 PM
:computer: Gotcha! Thanx!

Altum Nut
01-19-2019, 08:14 PM
Hans didn't withdraw his sponsorship, he was removed, with as reason (I think, never got an explonation) I didn't post enough on Simply. My problem is there are just not enough hours in a day and I got a business to run.

I see Al still as a great friend, he just had to do what he thinks is best for his forum and there are totally no hard feelings from my side. I still send people to this forum and will always promote his Australian Blackworms over the California ones.

Hans

Hans...you have true class. Might be the most honest and caring human being I come across to date.

...Ralph

brewmaster15
01-23-2019, 11:44 AM

Hans
Feel the same way Hans.. no hard feelings and nothing but high regard and friendship bud. I know you are busy as heck on other social media and theres not enough time to do everything. We've talked about that in the past. You need to run your business as is best for you.

Hans is always welcome here as a sponsor if he wants to be and has time for it.

Hes a great guy and a very good friend indeed!
Al

jimmyjoe
01-26-2019, 08:54 PM
Just made a purchase from Hans Discus, answered all my question's and sent me some super nice fish. His eye for nice round discus is very helpful when your looking for something special. Thanks again Hans and I'm sure we'll be doing business again...………….Jim in Ohio

peewee1
01-29-2019, 10:34 PM
I purchased from Kenny from a customer referral. I just now visited Dennis' site. What is an Ocean Zebra? I had not seen this one. What a nice looking pattern.

danotaylor
01-29-2019, 10:44 PM
I have been to Dennis's fish room, he has really nice Asian discus. Ocean Zebra is a likely just a trade name the breeder gave this strain because of the vertical red pattern over an ocean green base. I was talking with him just yesterday and his new shipment is acclimating and he got a bunch of the ocean zeb's in due to popular requests. Believe he has 1 proven pair of ocean zeb's he is going to make available as well. His shipment video should be available in the next week or so.

peewee1
01-30-2019, 12:21 AM
Book 'em, Dano. Thanks,I have found an interest in that Ocean Zebra and will have to get with Dennis for next order.

danotaylor
01-30-2019, 09:13 AM
Lol. That'll make Dennis happy mate. He is the newest sponsor to SD and looking to build a healthy customer base. I am very happy with the discus i bought. Apart from 1 loss to aggression from a newly formed pair with wigglers my other fish are active, healthy and have beautiful shape and color. All the best to ya peewee me ole mate!

peewee1
01-30-2019, 11:26 AM
Lol. That'll make Dennis happy mate. He is the newest sponsor to SD and looking to build a healthy customer base. I am very happy with the discus i bought. Apart from 1 loss to aggression from a newly formed pair with wigglers my other fish are active, healthy and have beautiful shape and color. All the best to ya peewee me ole mate!

Dano, two visits to Sydney and one to Canberra to date. I do not recall anything about Canberra except the drive from Sydney. Bondi and many nice Aussie folks. Is the Ocean Zebra something new? Are there other Zebra variety?

bluelagoon
01-30-2019, 02:36 PM
Dano, two visits to Sydney and one to Canberra to date. I do not recall anything about Canberra except the drive from Sydney. Bondi and many nice Aussie folks. Is the Ocean Zebra something new? Are there other Zebra variety?

They're also called Tiger on this side of the pond.Not a new strain.

danotaylor
01-30-2019, 03:00 PM
Peewee, not that I am aware of mate. I actually live in Cincinnati, Oh, these days. That's how I was able to connect with Dennis and visit his fish room. As Mervin pointed out, it's another name for a preexisting strain, i believe tiger carnation is the full name.

Discluv
01-30-2019, 04:47 PM
I love the Stendkers. The last jumbo pair ( Stendker "Tefe") received from Hans are pretty amazing.
Wish I had room to order some more.

CliffsDiscus
01-30-2019, 06:38 PM
I purchased from Kenny from a customer referral. I just now visited Dennis' site. What is an Ocean Zebra? I had not seen this one. What a nice looking pattern.

Ocean Zebra is not new I had some from a breeder name Gan back in the late 80's it was call vertical Discus back then.

Cliff