PDA

View Full Version : I saved a chicken's life today.

LizStreithorst
01-22-2019, 06:17 PM
She was on her way to the processing plant when I saw her and saved her. Details when I get my computer back.

DJW
01-23-2019, 08:53 PM
I hope they fix your computer because I want to hear more about this chicken. What name will you give this lucky chicken? ... "Plucky"?

LizStreithorst
01-23-2019, 08:58 PM
I don't know yet what I'll name her. I m working on it, though.

LizStreithorst
01-24-2019, 04:47 PM
I guess her name is Sweetie. Every time I go to check on her that's what I've been calling her

She's doing fine, BTW. She wants to stay in the chicken house. She came from a commercial operation where chicken's doing even have room to walk around.

LizStreithorst
01-24-2019, 04:48 PM
I guess her name is Sweetie. Every time I go to check on her that's what I've been calling her

She's doing fine, BTW. She wants to stay in the chicken house. She came from a commercial operation where chicken's doing even have room to walk around.

AquaWoman
01-24-2019, 05:01 PM
Lucky Girl! I’m partial to them myself. We have a small Chicken Farm. I recently lost one of my prized Hens to a hawk.
One of the many perils of free ranging. I bet you’ve got one Happy Hen now that she can move around!
Do you know what Breed she is?

LizStreithorst
01-24-2019, 05:16 PM
Not for sure. I think she might be a meat hen because she has had her beak clipped, but she's much smaller than me light brahmas. All I know is that she is white. We have both layer and broiler operations down here.

Second Hand Pat
01-24-2019, 05:47 PM
Liz, sure am glad Sweetie found you. :D What is the purpose for clipping the beak? I bet the answer is going to make me mad.
Pat

LizStreithorst
01-24-2019, 06:21 PM
They pack the chickens in tight and give them nothing to do so what they do is pick on each other. The weakest ones sometimes get pecked to death.

Second Hand Pat
01-24-2019, 06:27 PM
I knew I should not have asked :(
Pat

Paul Sabucchi
01-26-2019, 12:13 PM
A fair few years ago I rescued 4 egglayers that would have gone from the intensive 4 hens per tiny cage kind of facility facility to the processing plant, they also had their beaks clipped for the same reasons. Fortunately here over the last few years both legislation and public opinion have improved somewhat living conditions for hens

brewmaster15
01-26-2019, 02:09 PM
Lucky Girl! I’m partial to them myself. We have a small Chicken Farm. I recently lost one of my prized Hens to a hawk.
One of the many perils of free ranging. I bet you’ve got one Happy Hen now that she can move around!
Do you know what Breed she is?

Amy I'm In the same boat I lost one of my Buckeye hens to a red tail hawk last week... if that wasn't bad enough he came back the next day and we had face off...I won. But opted to lock the girls up for a few days and give my rooster a strong scolding for not protecting her.
al

LizStreithorst
01-27-2019, 09:04 PM
The hawks are a big reason I prefer heavy breed laying hens.

LizStreithorst
01-27-2019, 09:20 PM
A fair few years ago I rescued 4 egglayers that would have gone from the intensive 4 hens per tiny cage kind of facility facility to the processing plant, they also had their beaks clipped for the same reasons. Fortunately here over the last few years both legislation and public opinion have improved somewhat living conditions for hens

We have made some progress here in the States as well. It's all due to public pressure because over here chickens are not considered animals according to the law, so they don't afford the small kindness we afforded to most animals. But it's not just chickens. Most animals grown commercially for slaughter endure conditions I don't consider ethical.

People want food that is cheap and easy. There is no connection between the dressed chicken or a piece of beef that we buy to eat and the chicken or steer they came from. I'm as guilty as the rest.

LizStreithorst
01-27-2019, 09:33 PM
On a lighter note, I put up a heat lamp for Sweetie. She always seemed cold. Sure enough, once I had it hung in her corner she snuggled right under is and took a long warm nap. I need to take a fecal sample from her to take to the vet for a worm check. That means that I'll be sitting around waiting for her to **** for as long as it takes. I wish I had a fecal loop.

She has very loose stools. It could be worms or coccicidia or stress. If it's a parasite I will give the chicken house a through cleaning. My existing chickens are parasite free and I want to keep it that way.

Pices
01-27-2019, 10:05 PM
I’m still waiting to hear how you acquired Sweetie.
Patty

LizStreithorst
01-27-2019, 10:18 PM
I forgot (blush) was driving to Ellisville for something. I was within city limits when I saw this hen in the middle of the highway. People slowed down for her, but I stopped. I walked across the road and tried to catch her. I had no luck. I needed help. Right then an old man was going down the sidewalk pushing a wheel barrow full of small engines came buy. I asked him if he would help me catch this chicken and he did. T

The hen was walking down the ally between a long closed nursery and the beer store. The gentleman trapped her using his cap and I grabbed her by the legs. (When you hold a chicken upside down it doesn't struggle.) I put her on the front seat floor and she never moved until I got her home and introduced her to the chicken house.

Second Hand Pat
01-27-2019, 10:46 PM
Glad you two found each other Liz and love her name. :D
Pat

Pices
01-28-2019, 11:36 AM
I forgot (blush) was driving to Ellisville for something. I was within city limits when I saw this hen in the middle of the highway. People slowed down for her, but I stopped. I walked across the road and tried to catch her. I had no luck. I needed help. Right then an old man was going down the sidewalk pushing a wheel barrow full of small engines came buy. I asked him if he would help me catch this chicken and he did. T

The hen was walking down the ally between a long closed nursery and the beer store. The gentleman trapped her using his cap and I grabbed her by the legs. (When you hold a chicken upside down it doesn't struggle.) I put her on the front seat floor and she never moved until I got her home and introduced her to the chicken house.

She is one lucky bird! Will her beak grow back eventually? I know this is probably a “city girl” question, but I wonder.

Paul Sabucchi
01-28-2019, 12:09 PM
It never grew back on the 4 I rescued

Pices
01-28-2019, 02:33 PM
Aw that’s a shame, but it would make her only more endearing to me.
Patty

LizStreithorst
01-28-2019, 03:31 PM
It doesn't hurt. It's like clipping your fingernails. The shame is that they pack them in so close that it's necessary.

Sweetie's fecal was negative, thank goodness. The hen house needs cleaning anyway but there is no way to sterilize the wood floor.

brewmaster15
01-29-2019, 09:03 AM
It doesn't hurt. It's like clipping your fingernails. The shame is that they pack them in so close that it's necessary.

Sweetie's fecal was negative, thank goodness. The hen house needs cleaning anyway but there is no way to sterilize the wood floor.

Liz theres a product we used in the labs, called Clidox, chlorine Dioxide. It comes in 2 parts, and is active for a short time when mixed.

http://www.tamuc.edu/research/compliance/acup/OHS%20706%20-%20Preparation%20and%20Use%20of%20Clidox.pdf

I used it once in my coops for a thorough cleaning after pressure washing.

Being a chlorine compound its deactivated quickly by organics, but its so effective I think on your wood floor it would still work. It did on mine. Its been shown to de-activate avian influenza viruses in 5 mins of contact. Its definitely not a natural product, lol but its effective and doesn't hang around.

http://file.scirp.org/Html/1-8202397_36061.htm

probably way more info than you wanted lol.. but you never when you will need it! There are other Chlorine Dioxide products out there, but Clidox is the most well known, I even used it years ago to clean my fishroom after a bad crash.

al

LizStreithorst
01-29-2019, 09:16 AM
I hope that I never have to use that info, Al, but it's good to know that there's something that will work should I ever need it.

LizStreithorst
02-03-2019, 09:40 PM
Sweetie is becoming a member of the flock. This is not as easy for a commercially raised hen as one might think. "Pecking order" is a real thing. The existing hens are mean to a newbie...especially one who doesn't even know how to be a real chicken in with world wise free range hens. So, until yesterday Sweetie tried to stay hidden. She would walk around the chicken house on uncertain legs when the rest of the flock went to forage outside during the day.

Yesterday I decided to try to change this behavior. She was stuck in a rut of fear and uncertainty. After the rest of the flock went out to play and it had warmed up nicely I picked Sweetie up and set her outside in the grass. She pecked around and ate some nice green stuff which she had never seen before. She was having a good time!

But one cannot spend ones life keeping an eye on a chicken. I lost track of her. When it was time to put the flock to bed she was nowhere to be seen. I left the door to the chicken house half open in hopes that she would return. She did not. I looked everywhere. I even tried to find her in the wee hours. No cigar. Finally I spied her this morning around 10 AM. By then I was quite sure that I had lost her to a critter. She was under a bush with one of my kinder hens and the lowest rooster in the male pecking order. I was so relieved.

Today from time to time, Sweetie would be foraging with my existing chickens although she would always show respect for the hens who didn't care for her. She took advantage of a bunch of alone time. She needed to. I checked on her around 5 this evening. She was in a rarely used livestock shed dusting with the others. What brought joy to my heart is when I went to tuck the flock in for the night and Sweetie had followed her almost friends all the way from that shed to their house and jumped inside! It's kind of a free for all when I lock up the chickens because I have 3 roosters when I should have 1 and 1 of the 3 is a big bully. I thought she would run away from the ruckus, but she was right there with them.

What a brave and resilient hen. Sweetie is a survivor for sure. She wants to learn how to be a real chicken and she's learning well. I'm proud of her.

Pices
02-03-2019, 11:46 PM
That’s a great heartwarming story Liz. I love the way you can see her from her point of view and help her become a chicken. You taught this city girl a few things too.
I didn’t know chickens dusted. I hate dusting, so definitely want a chicken now. Ha ha
Patty

Second Hand Pat
02-04-2019, 12:14 AM
That is super Liz, it is always concerning when an animal does not know how to relate with it's own kind. Glad she is fitting in so nicely. I know my lab Belle has to teach Gypsy (my American terrier) how to be a dog. Gypsy thought she was a cat lol.
Pat

Disgirl
02-04-2019, 11:41 AM
Great story Liz, you have such a good way of telling a story. Sometime can you post a pic of Sweetie? The others too of course.
Barb

DJW
02-04-2019, 11:57 AM
Great story. Liz, does sweetie get up on the perches at night with the others, or stay on the floor?

LizStreithorst
02-04-2019, 05:25 PM
I saw her try to hop on the perch last night but she fell off. I don't think that she knew to wrap her toes around it. She'll learn.

Barb, I'll snap some pics when I can.

LizStreithorst
02-05-2019, 01:11 PM
Chicken pics! I showed the one of her butt so you can see what happens when a hen is forced to sit in one spot for it's entire life. It is much better now than it was when I first rescued her.

Disgirl
02-05-2019, 05:34 PM
Thanks Liz, that is one healthy and lucky chicken! I hate to see the trucks here in NC filled with chickens heading for the Sanderson farms chicken plant. Seeing them makes me want to never eat chicken again, but I always do. I sure understand why some people want to be vegetarians. I had Tofu for lunch today.
Barb

Pices
02-05-2019, 10:18 PM
Aww she is a sweetie! This must be heaven compared to her previous life. You have a very kind heart Liz.
Patty

LizStreithorst
02-06-2019, 06:43 PM
Thanks Liz, that is one healthy and lucky chicken! I hate to see the trucks here in NC filled with chickens heading for the Sanderson farms chicken plant. Seeing them makes me want to never eat chicken again, but I always do. I sure understand why some people want to be vegetarians. I had Tofu for lunch today.
Barb

The thing about supermarket chicken is that it is so cheap and so easy. We don't even think about it once been a live animal that was raised in inhumane conditions. But I buy it, too. I bought all the stuff to slaughter and process chicken but I just don't have the guts. If I did, I'd have a meat flock in addition to my layers.

1claire
02-12-2019, 08:33 PM
You just gave this chicken a new home. It seems like she's enjoying the safe environment in her new home. What a lovely Chantecler chicken that you have there.

LizStreithorst
02-12-2019, 09:29 PM
Thank you, Bella. If I hadn't rescued her she'd have been spattered on the highway. I know by looking at her that she is happier and healthier.

LizStreithorst
02-16-2019, 04:33 PM
I thought I lost her to a predator again. She slept outside somewhere for 2 nights in a row. It's those dang roosters. The days are getting longer, it's be warm and there is only one thing on their mind. It's so bad that some of the hens have bald places on their backs. Poor little sweetie doesn't stand a chance. In fact the last time I saw her before she disappeared she was running away from a rooster.

Finally, late this morning I looked in the chicken house and there she was. I guess she got hungry and decided that it was worth dealing with the roosters to get a full belly.

AquaWoman
02-17-2019, 12:24 AM
Al, sorry I’m so late in replying. I wish I could have a rooster here but our town won’t allow them. Idiotic if you ask me.
My Hens are louder than a rooster when they sing their egg songs. It’s a stupid rule and likely caused the death of one of my Hens! Roosters watch the sky and alert at the first sign of a hawk. Unfortunately this town has forgotten its agricultural roots. Liz, I too bought Heavy Breeds only thinking that would help. Sadly the hawk never even tried to carry her off he just killed her and began eating her right there on the ground. I read that they hunt small game by swooping down, carrying off their prey and lifting them high up in the sky then dropping them to kill them then eat them. Not so in this case for sure, my Hens are Huge!

Anyhow, I enjoyed reading about your rescue chicken.

brewmaster15
02-17-2019, 10:57 AM
I lost two this year to a red tail hawk. Last one hit her right inside the coop doorway and ate her there.. picked away at the head, neck and upper breastmeat. Such a shame. I now have both my coops locked up and the girls are not happy.They have their runs but Im not letting them out in the yard until spring and the leaves are out for cover.

Usually we dont get red tails in our yard as we have breeding pairs of red shouldered hawks in the area. These are less likely to hit big chickens.I havent see my red shouldered around so that may be why the red tails are such a pita this year.
al

AquaWoman
02-17-2019, 03:07 PM
I lost two this year to a red tail hawk. Last one hit her right inside the coop doorway and ate her there.. picked away at the head, neck and upper breastmeat. Such a shame. I now have both my coops locked up and the girls are not happy.They have their runs but Im not letting them out in the yard until spring and the leaves are out for cover.

Usually we dont get red tails in our yard as we have breeding pairs of red shouldered hawks in the area. These are less likely to hit big chickens.I havent see my red shouldered around so that may be why the red tails are such a pita this year.
al

YES. I’m in north CT and we are seeing numbers of red tails like I’ve never seen in my life! We have bald eagles, cooper hawks and I swear a saw a Golden Eagle fly over my neighbors property. It looked like a tereadactyl! (Sp?)

Funny you mention it ate at her head. Same with mine, he took her eyeball first then started at her head. Her body didn’t have a spot of blood. We are doing exactly the same as you. Our girls are stuck in their run until Spring. I’m hoping by then the cover is better and the Hawks will have plenty more prey to choose from. Our Hens are Not Happy stuck inside but I can’t risk losing another.

Liz,
I meant to mention that we’ve got a few Colombian Wyandotte as well. Nice Breed.

LizStreithorst
02-17-2019, 03:46 PM
Mine are actually Light Brahmas. I looked up the Colombian Wyndottes and they look identical. The only difference I can see is that the Brahmas have feathers on their legs.

brewmaster15
02-17-2019, 04:24 PM
Liz do you have problems with hawks or just the ground critters where you are?
al

LizStreithorst
02-17-2019, 04:51 PM
Last year the hawks were bad. I had a hen with 2 little chicks and the chicks were both taken. I also had an adult hen scooped up. I saw it with my own eyes. 2 days later she showed back up no worse for the wear. I figured that she was too heavy for him and he dropped her and she was able to slow her decent by flapping her wings. She still would have landed with a big thump. I couldn't believe that she survived.

This year except for 1 brutal cold week it has been warm here. The hawks must be finding more tasty prey. I haven't even seen any flying overhead.

Even the ground critters haven't been a problem this year. I never set a trap for the one that was taking my hens last year because my dogs run free, too and all I would have caught is my own dogs.

Pices
02-17-2019, 06:43 PM
Maybe Pip will be your critter catcher. Ha ha
Patty

LizStreithorst
02-17-2019, 06:51 PM
It would be bad news for her if she tried to tangle with a coyote. I wouldn't want her to try to take on a fox either.

brady
02-17-2019, 09:00 PM
Where I live ,North Granby,Ct. I let my chickens free range . But lately I'm changing my thinking. We have fox,hawks, weasels
and coyotes and I lose a lot. They have a huge run and I'm going to keep them in that but damn that open field, woods
ect. looks good to them and I give in. I need some counseling.
Jay

LizStreithorst
02-17-2019, 09:49 PM
I've been considering electric netting from Premier Supplies. I have the charger. The netting is movable. It would be a good solution, but the netting is too expensive for me ATM.

brady
02-18-2019, 12:50 PM
Liz I have considered the PM netting but I'm just not sure how effective it is.
You would need some kind of netting over the top for the haws and I see that as a real pita
In trying to move it.
They are a first class Co. and I talked to a rep. and he said they swore by it.
Maybe this spring,right Now we have about a foot of snow on the ground and some more to come.
Jay

LizStreithorst
02-18-2019, 03:29 PM
I kept goats confined with it. If it will keep goats in it will keep critters out. You're right about the hawks, though. Covering it would be a real pain.

AquaWoman
02-19-2019, 12:10 AM
Mine are actually Light Brahmas. I looked up the Colombian Wyndottes and they look identical. The only difference I can see is that the Brahmas have feathers on their legs.

Oh, I didn’t notice the leg feathers. Nice looking breed. I had no idea they existed.

AquaWoman
02-19-2019, 12:16 AM
I hear ya Jay, I’m frequently tempted to let them out. They rush to the door of the run every time I put the feed in and I do feel bad about cooping them up. Better mad than dead I suppose.

brady
02-19-2019, 01:44 PM
I hear ya Jay, I’m frequently tempted to let them out. They rush to the door of the run every time I put the feed in and I do feel bad about cooping them up. Better mad than dead I suppose.

You know Amy you are probably right."better mad then dead" They do have a big run,24 by24 but the problem is it goes from a grassy field to dirt in about 3 weeks. When I open the door they all try to rush out and I have to keep shoving them in while trying to get
the door closed. Sometimes I say the hell with it and just let them go.
Looking into buying the electric fence so I can move it around in the field or woods,Ect but I still have to solve the problem of the hawks.
Jay

LizStreithorst
02-20-2019, 05:34 PM
I'm afraid that I picked up Sweetie and brought her inside. I simply couldn't do otherwise. Every time I see her she's running from the roosters. I have to think of a better idea. I don't want a hen living in the house unless I can train to use a litter box. That is doubful.

AquaWoman
02-21-2019, 11:58 PM
I'm afraid that I picked up Sweetie and brought her inside. I simply couldn't do otherwise. Every time I see her she's running from the roosters. I have to think of a better idea. I don't want a hen living in the house unless I can train to use a litter box. That is doubful.

How about those little quilted “saddles” I’ve seen people use? They protect the Hen from the worst of the Rooster’s advances and maybe he would find her less appealing?

AquaWoman
02-22-2019, 12:02 AM
You know Amy you are probably right."better mad then dead" They do have a big run,24 by24 but the problem is it goes from a grassy field to dirt in about 3 weeks. When I open the door they all try to rush out and I have to keep shoving them in while trying to get
the door closed. Sometimes I say the hell with it and just let them go.
Looking into buying the electric fence so I can move it around in the field or woods,Ect but I still have to solve the problem of the hawks.
Jay

I had to chuckle with your description of trying to get through the door. This is me every time. It’s comical how I can contort myself while carrying water/ feed buckets while trying to keep Hens from escaping. Soon enough, I too will just say “Go!”
Once that fresh Spring grass starts poking through the snow there will be no stopping them I’m sure.

LizStreithorst
02-22-2019, 09:36 AM
How about those little quilted “saddles” I’ve seen people use? They protect the Hen from the worst of the Rooster’s advances and maybe he would find her less appealing?

I'd thought of that. I believe I'll buy some. Surely a chicken saddle can't be very costly.

gunnerschh2
02-22-2019, 03:22 PM
I used chicken wire galvinzed after welding for sides & top. turkey wire is the best but costs.

LizStreithorst
02-23-2019, 06:45 PM
Will you just look at this fat thing! Sweetie has decided to live in the fish room. That's fine with me since it's a contrete floor and she has good poop which is easy to pick up. I gave her a bath earlier today. She's so white and fluffy now.

Disgirl
02-24-2019, 11:57 AM
White and fluffy as newly fallen snow! Now I just have to ask, how do you bathe a chicken? Dawn detergent in the sink? If not for you, she would have been a chicken dinner for somebody a few weeks ago...
Barb

LizStreithorst
02-24-2019, 12:50 PM
I'm all set up for dog grooming at the house. I put her in my raised tub and used my bathing system to spray warm soapy water on her. In the places where she had scabby skin I rubbed Head & Shoulders shampoo on. It helps to loosen it so it washes down the drain. After the rinse I sprayed on diluted conditioner, then wrapped her in a towel to get as much water as I could off her. After that, I put her in a cage under a cage dryer until she was dry in most places. To finisher her, I put her on the grooming table and used my big stand dryer to dry the places that were still damp and a soft pin brush to separate the feathers at their base.

Back then she wouldn't have made much of a dinner since she was so skinny. She'd make a lovely meal now.

Disgirl
02-24-2019, 05:20 PM
Well, no wonder she looks so good! You may end up being a chicken groomer besides a dog groomer huh? Just wait until fellow pet chicken keepers find out about your skill.
Barb

LizStreithorst
02-27-2019, 02:59 PM
Harrumph! They said her fecal was negative but I kept wondering why she would sometimes have terrible poo. Since she lives in the fish room cleaning up terrible poo is not fun. Then the other day I saw a round worm in one of her terrible poos. Yesterday when I went to the feed store I got her some food medicated with piprazine. She no longer has terrible poo. What a blessing. I'll have to worm her again in 2 weeks and then in 2 weeks after that.

I noticed when I bathed her that she had a bunch of places on her where the feathers were broken off close to the skin and her skin was scabby. I got some permithrin dust and put that on her the same day. Today she is not constantly picking at her feathers.

Sweetie loves living in the fish room. It's a beautiful spring day today. There is a door to a fenced area outside. I figured she'd enjoy pecking at grass and weeds but I was wrong. She sat down in a corner and stayed there. I finally gave up and opened the door. She walked right in. I don't imagine that I will ever turn her into a normal chicken, but if she's happy that's all that matters, right? She likes looking at the fish on the bottom racks. Sometimes she will peck at the glass trying to catch a baby Angelfish. When the light is low she can see her reflection in the glass. She's curious about her reflection. I need to put a mirror down there for her.

Adam S
02-27-2019, 04:37 PM
Sounds like you're raising "Kobe" chicken! :thumbsup:

LizStreithorst
02-27-2019, 04:40 PM
I'm afraid I don't know what that means, Adam. The only Kobe I know of is Kobe Bryant.

RogueDiscus
02-27-2019, 04:59 PM
I think he's referring to the Japanese beef.

LizStreithorst
02-27-2019, 05:02 PM
OH NO! Sweetie will not be a meal. She's a pet. It would be like eating one of my dogs!

Adam S
02-27-2019, 05:39 PM
What Steve said, a special breed of Japanese cow that receive alcohol, massages, and music (classical, of course) as part of the rearing.

Was kidding about the eating part, just the royal treatment Sweetie's getting.

LizStreithorst
02-27-2019, 05:47 PM
Got it! Yea, I know she spoiled rotten. She has no idea that she's being treated like a queen. When I have my cup of coffee with a shot of brandy this evening I'll try offering her some. I don't think she'll like it but you never know unless you try. I'm afraid she's stuck with public radio. It's what I listen to. It would be nice if NPR would make her smarter.

Pices
02-27-2019, 07:23 PM
Got it! Yea, I know she spoiled rotten. She has no idea that she's being treated like a queen. When I have my cup of coffee with a shot of brandy this evening I'll try offering her some. I don't think she'll like it but you never know unless you try. I'm afraid she's stuck with public radio. It's what I listen to. It would be nice if NPR would make her smarter.

Call me dumb but I’d be hanging out in the fish room too. :)

LizStreithorst
03-03-2019, 08:29 PM
Today I got a piece of bad news about Sweetie's future. I told her story to the folks at my chicken forum. I have decided that I will have to kill her and eat her. It's the right thing to do. I'm going to need someone by me to offer advice and emotional support, but I have to learn how to do this. I have 2 roosters too many and I need to do them in and have only Mr. Big with the girls.

If anyone is curious about why I have to do what I'm going to do, this is the thread: https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/need-help-with-rescue-hen.1294570/

Disgirl
03-03-2019, 09:09 PM
I read the whole chicken forum thread. I see your dilemma. However, in my opinion as your friend. you should give her to your neighbor to kill and eat, or whatever he wants to do. Do not kill and eat your own pet chicken who you have treated as a pet. I feel strongly about this. You do not need the stress of doing this deed to your pet. Or have your neighbor do her in and bury her.
Barb

Combo
03-03-2019, 09:27 PM
Oh LIZ I'm sorry to hear that you so excited when you saved the chicken , What a twist I didn't expect this been a good read!! your still the Hero Liz,

Pices
03-03-2019, 09:43 PM
I agree with Barb. I’m afraid it would break your heart to kill her and eat her yourself Liz. I think you’d feel better if you just let her live her short but happy life in peace. Good luck with your decision Liz.
Patty

LizStreithorst
03-03-2019, 11:27 PM
I would like to hear more opinions, please.

Second Hand Pat
03-04-2019, 02:13 PM
Liz, I agree with Barb and Patty but I also respect your decision however you choose to go.
Pat

fljones3
03-04-2019, 02:48 PM
Liz,
Just seeing your heart the few months I have been on the forum, I agree with Barb and Patty. I think in the long term you will be glad you went this direction. The roosters you might not have the emotional attachment.
Frank

DJW
03-04-2019, 10:03 PM
I agree with Barb. You can learn slaughtering with other birds, why have it on yours hands with a pet.

brewmaster15
03-04-2019, 10:34 PM
Liz, I have slaughtered my hens before.. its not hard to do but in sweeties case why do it? You made her a pet and were happy with her as such . She isnt suffering now is she?

You saved her life and gave her a home... she is a meat bird to be sure and that breed is a heavy bird. Her life maybe short but if she isn't suffering and she makes you happy, Why give that up at this point because of what may happen.

Before you decide, I would suggest you re-read this thread. That bird has made a mark on you as only a pet can. I say treat it as a pet. If theres issues down the road.. deal with them then.

hth,
Al

brady
03-05-2019, 11:04 AM
I totally agree with Al. Let her live out her natural life and both of you will be happy.
BTW, the advice they gave you on the chicken forum to cut back on her feed is a
good one. Good luck.
Jay

LizStreithorst
03-05-2019, 05:57 PM
I re-read this entire 6 pages of this thread. I still think that I need to kill her. I am glad that I saved her and have given her a couple of months of happiness, but I don't love her and all she likes about me is the fact that I make food and water available to her. I have newspaper all over the fish room floor and pick up chicken $hit constantly. She is not a good pet. I put her in the back yard today because it's finally a nice day. She's just sitting in a corner. She's more trouble than she's worth. She was bred to be a meat chicken and that's what she is.

I don't think that my neighbor wants to help me with this job, but I have read all about it on the chicken forum and I can do it in a humane way. She won't be frightened or suffer like she would in a processing plant. Once she is dead I will be fine. I know because I used to slaughter and eat my baby male goats. I quit doing it because the killing part was so hard on me. This will be less violent. I can do it with a scalpel rather than a gun.

I'm not going to do it right away. And who knows, when the time comes I might not have the guts. But the way commercial chickens are bred, raised and slaughtered for meat these days is cruel to the animal from birth to death. It should be against the law but it's not because it makes chicken so cheap for us to buy.

I could rant on, but that's enough. It sounds like nobody wants to hear about how it goes when I do the deed.

Combo
03-05-2019, 10:51 PM
I think all the support from everyone was for you anyway Liz. It seemed as you was getting attached to the chicken and it was thought that it would be hard on you to loose the chicken. So I support you in this if I lived close by I would come help you processing of the meat but being in North Carolina just little to far of a drive

LizStreithorst
03-06-2019, 03:15 PM
OK, OK. I have changed my mind again. Sorry...

After I talked to you I put her outside in a small fenced yard. Mostly she sat in one place. But a couple of times I saw her walking around eating green stuff. I couldn't find her when went to let her in for the night. This morning she was right by the door of the fish room. I weighed out 3 oz of feed and put it and her waterer outside for her. (3 oz of feed is about 3/4 of a cup. When she was eating free choice in the fish room she was eating more than twice that.) Just now, I opened the door to the fish room and she walked in.

She will spend most of her time outside. Despite what I said earlier, I am somewhat fond of her. As long as she and I can find living arrangements that suit both of us I will take care of her until she starts having problems.

brewmaster15
03-06-2019, 03:19 PM
Im glad for both you and Sweetie Liz. I had thought when you posted the chicken stroganoff recipe you were foreshadowing. :)
Al

Disgirl
03-06-2019, 06:25 PM
Good decision Liz, good for you and Sweetie. Not many people can say they have a pet meat chicken and now you can.
Barb

Combo
03-06-2019, 07:43 PM
Im glad for both you and Sweetie Liz. I had thought when you posted the chicken stroganoff recipe you were foreshadowing. :)
Al

I did too. my thought was she cooked!!!

Second Hand Pat
03-07-2019, 12:58 AM
OK, OK. I have changed my mind again. Sorry...

After I talked to you I put her outside in a small fenced yard. Mostly she sat in one place. But a couple of times I saw her walking around eating green stuff. I couldn't find her when went to let her in for the night. This morning she was right by the door of the fish room. I weighed out 3 oz of feed and put it and her waterer outside for her. (3 oz of feed is about 3/4 of a cup. When she was eating free choice in the fish room she was eating more than twice that.) Just now, I opened the door to the fish room and she walked in.

She will spend most of her time outside. Despite what I said earlier, I am somewhat fond of her. As long as she and I can find living arrangements that suit both of us I will take care of her until she starts having problems.

:D

LizStreithorst
03-08-2019, 11:51 PM
Well, wouldn't you know...now that I've softened my heart to the chicken she isn't doing well. This started yesterday. She is eating almost nothing. I haven't seen her taking a drink. She's lame on her right leg. I should have done her in when I had made my heart hard.

Disgirl
03-09-2019, 09:12 AM
Well Liz, your brain and heart together will let you know what to do now. Since she was intended to live a short fast life, perhaps she is in old age now and ready to go. Call me later if you want.
Barb

RogueDiscus
03-09-2019, 07:41 PM
I just watched part of a show about grooming chickens for show. OMG. Shampoos, moisturizers, anti-friz. More than I've ever done to my hair!

LizStreithorst
03-09-2019, 08:02 PM
I know. I read up on it myself because I enjoy competing, but I'm not up for all that.

Sweetie is eating today. She prefers not to walk but she can when she has to. I'm pretty much allowing her to sit in one spot for most of the day.

peewee1
03-10-2019, 01:48 AM
Should you decide to kill the chicken you could regret it later. Maybe a longer thought process would be in order?

LizStreithorst
03-16-2019, 09:21 PM
So I did not do it. But now I have to. She sits in one place all the time. Her right leg is so bad that she can move around only enough to get out of her own poo.

I decided a week ago that I had to do it. I haven't gotten my guts up enough to do it. I have read up on the entire process of killing and processing for meat. Nobody will help me through it so I'm afraid I'll have to go it alone.

Pices
03-17-2019, 12:21 AM
Good luck Liz. It does sound like she’s in pain and you’d be doing her a favor. I just wish someone could do the deed for you....
Patty

fljones3
03-17-2019, 07:43 AM
Its time.

LizStreithorst
03-21-2019, 07:56 PM
I have not killed her and eaten her. I was ready a while back but I am no longer ready. She seemed to me to be a bit better. I cut down on her food and she has lost weight. I take her out every day, sometimes twice a day to eat grass and small weeds. She stands more often and takes a step or two sometimes. She enjoys being outside but I need to sit close to her. Otherwise the other hens would terrorize her.

I guess I will do the dead when she deteriorates to the point where she no longer enjoys life. That is what I would want for myself. I'm sure this chicken is no different.

LizStreithorst
03-27-2019, 08:51 PM
Sweetie continues to get slightly better day by day (touch wood). She is still lame and is her left ankle and foot is still swollen, but when I take her outside she walks around a lot more than she did. She also comes to me when I call her, and talks to me in chicken language.

If you think I am crazy, you are correct.

Pices
03-28-2019, 10:18 AM
I love it! When I saw your post I was expecting bad news, but she just keeps surprising us. I’m glad she’s improving and has found a trusted friend she can confide in.
Patty

Disgirl
03-28-2019, 11:14 AM
Nope, not crazy. Just a good pet Mom to all your creatures. Not a thing wrong with that. Just don't eat her when her life is over. That would be crazy.
Barb

Second Hand Pat
03-28-2019, 12:22 PM
Glad to hear Sweetie is getting better Liz :D Way to go :angel:
Pat

LizStreithorst
03-28-2019, 02:28 PM
Late this morning and early in the afternoon the existing hens were over in the old barn where they couldn't see the house. I took Sweetie outside and worked pulling briers and cutting privet hedge out of my day lily/daffodil garden. Sweetie actually walked around! When she was ready to go inside she limped all the way to the front entry door!

I know that it hurts her to walk. That leg and foot are still swollen, but I think that the exercise and being out of doors is good for her. Heck, I'm all broken and hurt all the time and it's good for me. Why should be Sweetie be different.

LizStreithorst
03-28-2019, 02:34 PM
Thanks for your good wishes Patty, Barb, and Pat. Barb, when the time comes I still plan to eat her. You believe that it would be wrong for me to eat her, I believe that it would be wrong for me not to.

LizStreithorst
04-03-2019, 06:29 PM
This should make all of you happy. I took Sweetie outside with me when I mowed yesterday and today. Yesterday I mowed where I could keep an eye on her. Today, I mowed up the fence line on both sides. When I got back to where she was 2 hrs later she was with a bunch of my existing hens. I wouldn't call them friends, but they were tolerating each other. Later, I went inside to cook. As I was deep frying I heard a voice outside that sounded like hers. She was siting by the front door. I told her to come in and went back to frying. When I looked around she was in the house. When I was done, I didn't see her. She had found her way back home (the fish room).

I have decided that her bad leg must have been due to an injury. It must have happened back when I put her alone in the back yard and a rooster found his way in. I think that she broke what in a human would be the ankle. Since a chicken foot is made mostly of connective tissue the injury wasn't as devastating as it would be in a human. She still has a knot on her ankle, and will probably always have a bit of a limp but she doesn't care and I don't care.

This hen is one tough cookie. A survivor for sure.

LizStreithorst
05-02-2019, 09:27 AM
I wouldn't have believed it except I saw it with my own eyes. Sweetie was acting a little strange yesterday. She didn't want to go out. Even when I nudged her out the back door she came back in as soon as my back was turned. But I didn't think anything of this strange behavior. Last night when I went down before bed to turn off the lights in the fish room and what did I see? Sweetie had laid an egg!!!! It didn't have a shell. It was just a pretty orange yoke. I guess I'd better start feeding her laying pellets instead of chick starter and make oyster shell available to her. A laying hen needs the calcium.

danotaylor
05-02-2019, 03:01 PM
Sweetie never ceases to amaze...incredible transformation that a little love can do...good one Liz

Disgirl
05-02-2019, 09:28 PM
Wow, a yolk with no shell, never heard of this before. Good for her,she must be so proud of that "egg". Let us know when she lays an egg with a shell.
Barb

Pices
05-03-2019, 10:14 PM
this is a great story and I love how you tell it Liz. She’s really come a long way hasn’t she? It sounds like she is slowly learning how to be a normal chicken.
Patty

Dee1958
05-17-2019, 04:36 PM
Your all that what did you have for dinner

LizStreithorst
05-17-2019, 04:59 PM
I don't remember but I bet it wasn't chicken.

LizStreithorst
05-17-2019, 06:26 PM
Since this has come back to the top, I will brag. Sweetie is as good a layer as some of my 2 yr old laying hens. She lays an egg daily for four days, takes a day off and then lays four more, etc. She still spends most of her time inside so I have to pick up a lot of chicken ****, but she's worth it. She's Sweetie the Wonder Chicken.

danotaylor
05-17-2019, 06:36 PM
Its awesome to see what your love and attention produced in Sweetie...good work Liz!

LizStreithorst
05-17-2019, 06:46 PM
[QUOTE=danotaylor;1318721]Its awesome to see what your love and attention produced in Sweetie...good work Liz!

Why thank you Daniel. Most folks think that all my screws are loose. I really don't care, but to get a compliment is special.

danotaylor
05-17-2019, 08:48 PM
Lol, I reckon in the grand scheme of things we all have lose screws Liz...some people's are what make them unique and special! ;)