PDA

View Full Version : pH 8.3

susanl
01-26-2019, 11:06 PM
Hello. I'm starting over from scratch after finding this forum. I am still questioning what to do about pH. My tap pH is 8.35 and was the same at 24 hours. I have always treated the water and currently use Seachem discus buffer and neutral regulator. Since my pH is high but stable is it really possible to keep discus without adjusting the pH? I don't really mind doing it but after reading the comments on this forum it seems I may be doing more harm than good. Many thanks for all your great comments/advice.

SNap0283
01-26-2019, 11:24 PM
Your pH is perfectly fine and adjusting it will lead to more harm then good. That being said if you have been adjusting it and are going to stop you should do it slowly over the course of a few days or more.

susanl
01-26-2019, 11:31 PM
Thanks Snap. I am setting up a new aquarium so I will just not adjust pH in the new set up - just seems so weird. I was actually using muriatic acid per recommendation from the local fish guy when I moved to Delaware 25 years ago.

SNap0283
01-27-2019, 12:19 AM
Almost all of the fish you will find will have been bred and raised in tap water with pH all over the scale. If you plan on keeping wilds you may need to adjust it. If that's the case theres plenty of information around here to help.

susanl
01-27-2019, 12:26 AM
No wilds for me - Stendker discus, rummy noses, Cory's and bushy nose plecos. Again, thanks for the reassurance.

RickMay1
01-27-2019, 01:25 AM
I agree, just use tap water. If it is good enough to drink, it's good enough for discus.

CliffsDiscus
01-29-2019, 02:45 PM
Your good to go, I run my tanks at 8.9ph with no problems. The Discus are bred and raise with this
Ph. Just remember to add the chlorine remover.

Cheer!
Cliff

peewee1
01-29-2019, 05:33 PM
Set up a tank in october. Have yet to monitor the ph but I will because I am curious. The fish seem not to be as curious as me so everyone is good to go for the time being.

susanl
01-29-2019, 10:34 PM
Thanks for the feedback RickMay

susanl
01-29-2019, 10:36 PM
LOL peewee. Got to keep those fish paying attention...Thanks for the feedback.

peewee1
01-30-2019, 12:16 AM
Yes, I am very strict with my fish. If they are not front and ready waging for their daily food I hold off on feeding until they are all paying attention front center. And if they do not eat every thing that goes into the tank I wait until I do not see any scraps left. You just cannot let these fish run your life, Susan. I have a 30 gallon with one each Stripe Alenquer, Red White, Albino Millennium Gold, Blue Scorpion, and Blue Leopard Snakeskin. The Red White used to pick on everyone but after he spent sometime in the "time out" bucket he learned not to be such a bully.