PDA

View Full Version : disc shape

GGP
01-31-2019, 02:29 PM
Hi everyone,
new in this hobby. Purchased 6 juveniles form LFS few days ago. They are doing great, eating, very active except one who was hiding until I changed the water temperature to 84 from 82, 2 days ago.
I realized the two of them don't have the nice round shape. It is still normal for some juveniles to have this shape? If not, what is the % that this will change with time with proper water quality and food?
Pictures attached.
Thank you for your input.122395122396

RogueDiscus
01-31-2019, 02:39 PM
Hi Gabriel,
Their general shape and the size of the eye (big) relative to their height at that point suggest they are a bit stunted. They will probably never be great shaped discus, but you may be able to improve them some over time with plenty of clean water and good food.

GGP
02-01-2019, 12:00 AM
Steve,
Thank you for your insight.
I am feeding them Hikari Vibra bites (which they don’t like that much) in the morning, one block of Hikari frozen BW at 2 pm and another block at 8:30 pm.
Is that enough?
I have giving them live blood worms (which they love) in between until I ran out of it. Should I try to find more of it?
Any input would greatly appreciated.

Filip
02-02-2019, 10:20 AM
HI Gabriel . Your discus are already stunted and they will propably never grow out to be perfect disc shape discus like the many others you've already seen on internet .

Your biggest problem here lies in the water quallity and not the variety of foods yo feed .
It's next to imposible to grow decent looking discus in a planted tank with substrate and decor .
You should either buy big round discus and put them straight in your planted display tank or decide to raise small discus in a barebottom tank , with daily siphoning and daily waterchanges until they reach 6 inch and nice round shape . Your expectation to get round and big discus in a substrate planted tank is unfortunately, not real .