PDA

View Full Version : Wild discus Mangal red.. W. Sabby VS. Hudson Vs. Santarem..

Ogus
02-07-2019, 01:12 PM
O.k. I have a small group of Mangal red discus from Hudson & K.. (btw I am writing this from Korea..)

My discuses have been targetted by the bunch of other Mangal keepers with fish from W.B Sabby in Korea including the agent who imports W.B Sabby
fish to Korea.

They insist that my fish shouldn't be called Mangal red as only W.B. Sabby has authentic Mangals as it's Mr. Onoda from W.B. Sabby who first collected
the specimen from the "Mangal" point in Lago Cuipeua and has not yet disclose the exact location of the Mangal point to the others. And since it's
W.B. Sabby that named the collection point as "mangal" no one else should use the word Mangal unless it is used to call fish from the exact collection point
that only W.B. Sabby has the information of.

Well I don't really care whether my fish is Mangal or Mongol or Mounkal.. or whatever..but this is becomine ridiculous to the point that the agent guy is
suggesting that we should do PCR on fish from Hudson vs his mangal from WB Sabby as he believes they are totally different strain..

Does anyone have any information about what this Mangal thing is all about? I could just laugh about it.. I kept telling the I have no interest in names
yet they are continously harassing me in the local forums.. I cannot really get much information on internet.. I just want to know more..

LizStreithorst
02-07-2019, 01:33 PM
Fish purists cane be such snobs. I guess all purists are like that, not just fish people. I have no info that would help you but it they keep bugging you about doing PCR tell them to buy their own Mangal reds from Hudson and they can sacrifice one of their own fish and leave you alone to enjoy yours.

Willie
02-07-2019, 01:51 PM
..but this is becoming ridiculous to the point that the agent guy is suggesting that we should do PCR on fish from Hudson vs his mangal from WB Sabby as he believes they are totally different strain...

The agent also demonstrates a dramatic misunderstanding of PCR, Willie :p :o

RogueDiscus
02-07-2019, 03:03 PM
I had to google PCR. Are you talking about the DNA replicating technique?

Willie
02-07-2019, 04:00 PM
PCR stands for polymerase chain reaction, which is replicating DNA to sufficient quantity for chemical analyses. That alone is insufficient for genomic comparison.

Sorry for geeking out there, Willie :o

RogueDiscus
02-07-2019, 04:03 PM
PCR stands for polymerase chain reaction, which is replicating DNA to sufficient quantity for chemical analyses. That alone is insufficient for genomic comparison.

Sorry for geeking out there, Willie :o

Thanks, NP. I learned something.

brewmaster15
02-07-2019, 04:44 PM
Unless I physically collect a fish or bred it I really don't pay much attention to the names attached outside of wild Blue, wild green, Heckel. etc. I know many do...but I am not that trusting. Besides that unless you are planning on breeding them and starting a "new" line does it really matter to the average hobbyist? Lastly, Discus Genetics is about as fluid and inconsistent as it gets with cichlids, which is why we have the domestic diversity we have.

I am sure there are pockets of fish here and there in the wild with some genetic uniqueness and recognize the sellers desire to capitalize on it... but in the big scheme of things it probably doesn't matter to anyone but hobbyists with fat wallets.

Does anyone remember The name "CURIPERA"? thats a classic example .

My view is call them what you want... honestly thats whats been done with Discus names for decades.

oh one note though, some pics of these identity challenged fish would be great!

al

Willie
02-07-2019, 05:25 PM
There's also the practical matter that the specific location for "Mangal" discus has not been disclosed. If that's true, exactly how does one go about making a comparison?

As you say, Brew, it's just marketing anyway. Unless a name is trademarked in a particular country, anyone is free to use it.

Willie

Second Hand Pat
02-07-2019, 10:23 PM
Some folks have just to much time on their hands. Go enjoy your fish and allow others to do the same lol.
Pat

LizStreithorst
02-07-2019, 10:50 PM
Some folks have just to much time on their hands. Go enjoy your fish and allow others to do the same lol.
Pat

:thumbsup: