PDA

View Full Version : Please review my master plan before I start...

chiuey
02-26-2019, 08:59 PM
Sorry for the long post but I'll try to make this quick and concise, would like your opinion on any changes you guys think I should make.

1) 135g tank, 6 foot wide , 25" tall, 18" depth, already purchased.

2) 3d background siliconed in. Thinking about the Amazonas xl by arstone.

3) Filters: AC110 HOB on far right side of tank. FX6 on back side of tank near the left 1/3 of tank. Flow will be fx6 output on left side, going towards the right side of tank where AC110 intake is.

3) Substrate is 1" or less of white estes stoney river sand.

4) Plants mostly anubias, still deciding on what else but will be sparse so shouldn't be too hard to clean.

5) 2 aqueon pro heaters 250w kept at 85F, maybe just leave one for backup

6) Cycle, then put in my small plecos in first, about 6 of them. All of them grow to 4-6" max size

7) Quarantine cardinal tetras maybe 20? then put them in tank.

8) Quarantine 4 or so corys, then put them in tank

9) DISCUS, will get 8-10 at the same time around 4-5" and put them in the tank WITHOUT quarantine because I don't have a big enough tank to quarantine them.

10) Water will be changed with python 50% daily from tap, with vacuum. The breeder I am getting from also uses tap water and says it should be okay to do so. No need for RO water.

11) Pray everyone is happy.

Am I missing anything? biggest question I have is should I put in discus first to get them established then add other fish? Or other fish first then the discus. Thanks everyone!

Willie
02-27-2019, 08:44 AM
The most important tank in my fish room is the quarantine tank. Hope you have that available.

Willie

brewmaster15
02-27-2019, 08:52 AM
Agree with Willie 1000 %.

A suggestion. Buy the tank, set it up with the background. Keep it bare initially. Cycle with Ammonia.Add no other fish. Add Discus.

Raise the Discus like that for at least 2 months.It acts as your Qt tank, gives you a chance to learn about the discus and for them to settle in.

Once you have done this then consider adding sand plants driftwood etc. Quarantine any cardinals or plecos or other dither fish at least 6 weeks before adding.

Thats what I would do.

Hth,
Al

Filip
02-27-2019, 09:42 AM
Hi and welcome to the forum Chiuey .
Sounds like you have a nice plan ahead except for the stocking order . I would definitely start with discus only and quarantine and introduce the rest after discus are well acclimated. Sterilizing plants with bleach or PP solution before you put them in your tank is also a good idea of keeping things safe .

Good luck.

RickMay1
02-27-2019, 10:47 AM
3) Substrate is 1" or less of white estes stoney river sand.

4) Plants mostly anubias, still deciding on what else but will be sparse so shouldn't be too hard to clean.

8) Quarantine 4 or so corys, then put them in tank

!

3) If your going for less than 1" you might want to think about putting down a thin layer of silicon then glue some sand to the bottom. Otherwise, over time you will get bare spots.

4) The idea of anubias is good and should do well. I would plan on attaching them to objects like driftwood or rocks so they are easily moveable but will stay where you put them. Use gel super glue to attach the plants.

8) 4 corys is not enough IMO. They are a schooling fish and do much better in groups of 6 or more. I try to keep at least 10. Plus if you have a layer of sand the corys will help keep the sand from developing dead spots in the sand. I would recommend Sterbi Corys as a good one for a discus tank.

I agree with Al (Brewmaster) on getting the discus first and learning to keep discus barebottom before adding anything else.

chiuey
02-27-2019, 02:12 PM
Thanks for the replies. Some others suggested to put the discus last after the tank is fully stable, that's what I was wondering. If I add discus first, then others to the tank, it might throw off the balance? But I am actually more inclined to put discus first to get them real stable, I think that should be better.

Silicone some sand to bottom, that's a great idea, never thought of that, thanks.

I do have an extra 20g tank that used to be my quarantine tank. However, I got carried away and I have 5 small plecos in there right now, hence needing a bigger tank. I want to move them to my 135g asap.

chiuey
02-27-2019, 03:29 PM
Also, is it that big of a deal that I'd have to put the plants in after I have the discus in there for a while? I'd only lightly plant. I figure cycle first, a few plants and plecos in (since I don't want them to stay in their 20 gallon right now), stabilize for 4-6 weeks, then Discus in would be ok? Then all the other fish afterwards (quarantined first). I never really understood why plants were frowned upon with discus other than its harder to clean the tank. Is it because plants can introduce diseases to discus?

Pices
02-27-2019, 04:31 PM
Thanks for the replies. Some others suggested to put the discus last after the tank is fully stable, that's what I was wondering. If I add discus first, then others to the tank, it might throw off the balance? But I am actually more inclined to put discus first to get them real stable, I think that should be better.

Silicone some sand to bottom, that's a great idea, never thought of that, thanks.

I do have an extra 20g tank that used to be my quarantine tank. However, I got carried away and I have 5 small plecos in there right now, hence needing a bigger tank. I want to move them to my 135g asap.

Since the discus will increase your bioload substantially, it’s wise to add them first as far as balance goes. You’ll be doing daily large wc’s while your stable tank catches up to the increased bio load of the discus.

Not sure about adding plecos to 135 ASAP. How long have you had them? I’ll let someone else answer that question.

Plants can carry pathogens into your tank. That’s why Filip recommended treating plants with a pp solution or bleach solution prior to introducing them to your tank. If you have a problem. It is more likely to happen early on, so the less variables,ie. sand, plants, other fish, the easier it is to pinpoint a problem should 1 arise.

One thing no one has warned you about is how addicting these fish can be. You will find yourself talking to them and asking them questions like, “How are you guys doing today?” You will eventually even marvel at the size of their poop! You will get hooked and realize that the people here enabled you and you will love them for it like a true addict.

Good luck, keep us posted and get ready to get hooked on these awesome fish!
Patty

LizStreithorst
02-27-2019, 04:48 PM
Dip the plants in a 20 to one solution of bleach to water. Swish them around and them rinse them in tap water and then in dechlorinated water. It will be best if you only get plants that can be glued to driftwood. It makes it easier to clean the tank. You can make a very attractive BB tank with a large piece of driftwood and smaller pieces with plants glued to them. I'd think twice about the sand.

Combo
02-28-2019, 10:52 PM
I will add that I'm pretty new here, and to discus myself. If you read through a lot of the threads on Simply Discus you will find that most new to discus people "Myself included" start there first discus tank with substrate, plants,and decorations only to in just a couple maybe three weeks find that discus just not acting the same look as if their duscus are in trouble, and have to find somewhere to put the discus while you get all the stuff out where to put it trying to not get water all over everything dripping stuff everywhere while doing so, will find all this nasty stuff that wasn't getting pulled out even though one was vacuuming while doing 50% water change everyday every third day i was doing 90% and still leaving nasties in the tank .so please do your self a favor and start them out in bare bottom tank you will be glad you and heartaches if you don't

Pices
02-28-2019, 11:04 PM
I will add that I'm pretty new here, and to discus myself. If you read through a lot of the threads on Simply Discus you will find that most new to discus people "Myself included" start there first discus tank with substrate, plants,and decorations only to in just a couple maybe three weeks find that discus just not acting the same look as if their duscus are in trouble, and have to find somewhere to put the discus while you get all the stuff out where to put it trying to not get water all over everything dripping stuff everywhere while doing so, will find all this nasty stuff that wasn't getting pulled out even though one was vacuuming while doing 50% water change everyday every third day i was doing 90% and still leaving nasties in the tank .so please do your self a favor and start them out in bare bottom tank you will be glad you and heartaches if you don't

Ain’t it the truth! Much harder taking it out than putting it in. Yes, I was one of those people and you described it very well. Seeing all that crap when you’ve been SO DILIGENT is quite the surprise.
Patty

LizStreithorst
02-28-2019, 11:25 PM
I was one of those people myself back in 2001. If you must have plants, plants in pots or plants that can be glued to driftwood are the best choice.

Willie
03-01-2019, 11:33 AM
Also, every plant you get will have snails or snail eggs on it.

Willie

Sweetmule
03-01-2019, 12:49 PM
I am on the same path! I'm also starting a 135 gallon (66 x 21 x 24). I have a very similar plan although I am thinking of a few plastic plants as opposed to the live plants. I was planning on about an inch of sand, but after reading this I may just go bare bottom for a few months. I will go with a good amount of corys, but might limit the plecos as they are poop machines. I also may not have any other tankmate fish.

For filtration, I have decided to go overboard and am doing a sump plus a canister. I'm in the process of figuring out the heaters and Bulk Reef Supplies has some pretty good videos. I am leaning toward two Finnex titanium heaters paired with NeoStat controllers.

For the discus, I am planning to go with larger fish - maybe 10 or so that are 4.5" to 5.5"+ to maximize my chances. I am reading that it is best to get them all together (or most of them anyway) and I am scared to death that I will get a big shipment of great (and expensive) discus and they will all die immediately!!

Looks like we have the same plans - good luck!!

Combo
03-01-2019, 10:38 PM
I am on the same path! I'm also starting a 135 gallon (66 x 21 x 24). I have a very similar plan although I am thinking of a few plastic plants as opposed to the live plants. I was planning on about an inch of sand, but after reading this I may just go bare bottom for a few months. I will go with a good amount of corys, but might limit the plecos as they are poop machines. I also may not have any other tankmate fish.

For filtration, I have decided to go overboard and am doing a sump plus a canister. I'm in the process of figuring out the heaters and Bulk Reef Supplies has some pretty good videos. I am leaning toward two Finnex titanium heaters paired with NeoStat controllers.

For the discus, I am planning to go with larger fish - maybe 10 or so that are 4.5" to 5.5"+ to maximize my chances. I am reading that it is best to get them all together (or most of them anyway) and I am scared to death that I will get a big shipment of great (and expensive) discus and they will all die immediately!!

Looks like we have the same plans - good luck!!

You have found the right place to get started discus fish are not hard to keep as long as you do the daily chores for them. read to learn as much as you can or what to know about them. Main thing is enjoy your fish watch them as much as you can and you will be able to know when something maybe starting to go wrong with them if and when that happens jump on here ask for help someone will be glad to talk you through it and help all they can

ajniner94
03-06-2019, 09:59 AM
I am also new to discus and have had some failures but I have had lots of fish tanks. One thing I do know is 90% of the time the first group of fish in a tank die. I would suggest the cardinals first. Just do 10 or so and see how they do for a few weeks. Then I would suggest adding 1 discus, its a lot less depressing to lose one 70 dollar fish than 8 or 10. I would leave him in for a month then do your large order. Corys could also be added instead of the cardinals. Both of those fish will completely leave the discus alone. Although I think mine has been eating my neons

ajniner94
03-06-2019, 10:00 AM
Also, a question for everyone. 50% WC a day in a 135G tank is a lot. is that really necessary?

Combo
03-06-2019, 12:51 PM
All i can say is every tank (or set-up) is different what works for this tank maynot be exactly for the tank sitting right beside of it and most of the info giving is what works most common for each person tanks, is my way of thinking and is how my advice is always giving in this manner. there is no set way, one way is right and any different is wrong but each tank /os the fish in the tank will tell you how much is or is not enough in my experience. this how how my W/C schedule has been made up by what the fish tell me Sorry for no def. answer maybe someone with more experience will chime in and give you a better answer than I have. GOOD LUCK !!!

eugenefish
03-06-2019, 01:37 PM
Since the discus will increase your bioload substantially, it’s wise to add them first as far as balance goes. You’ll be doing daily large wc’s while your stable tank catches up to the increased bio load of the discus.

Not sure about adding plecos to 135 ASAP. How long have you had them? I’ll let someone else answer that question.

Plants can carry pathogens into your tank. That’s why Filip recommended treating plants with a pp solution or bleach solution prior to introducing them to your tank. If you have a problem. It is more likely to happen early on, so the less variables,ie. sand, plants, other fish, the easier it is to pinpoint a problem should 1 arise.

One thing no one has warned you about is how addicting these fish can be. You will find yourself talking to them and asking them questions like, “How are you guys doing today?” You will eventually even marvel at the size of their poop! You will get hooked and realize that the people here enabled you and you will love them for it like a true addict.

Good luck, keep us posted and get ready to get hooked on these awesome fish!
Patty

Totally agree with Patty about the addiction to the discus. I start with a small numbers of discus and now I have 20 6.5" and 10 4.5" discus swimming in my house begging for food all day long.