PDA

View Full Version : Feedin the juvies

RaphGiroux
02-28-2019, 05:53 PM
Hello there!
I feed my juvies 8 times a day with BBS, frozen BS, frozen daphnias.
I made a batch of beef heart mix yesterday and I wanna know, at 4 weeks if i must reduce the feeding by 5 with beef heart...
How many time/day of beef heart, and what else do you feed your guys? Just to have other's opinion!
One died this night after their first beef heart meal, so i'm intrigued...

Thx again guys!

brewmaster15
03-01-2019, 07:22 AM
Raphael,
It sounds like you are overfeeding your fry, but thats hard to say without knowing how much you are feeding each time.

Whats in your beefheart mix and how do you make it? You do need to be careful when feeding fry beefheart mix... often it needs to be shaved thin. I no longer feed it and havent in a while but when I did I would shave it thin and smash it as much as possible. If you make it yourself be careful of removing the fat and gristle .. small fry can get blocked up with this.
Al

RaphGiroux
03-01-2019, 12:03 PM
So there's 1 pound of heart, 1/2 pound of prawns, 1/2 pound of white fish, 1/2 of green peas (baby mix), 1/2 pound of spinach and a tsp of new life spectrum grow powderin my mix. I pass it all 3 times in the meat grinder but i know theres sme chunks left so have to be more careful next time... I shave it and unfreeze in aquarium water before the feeding...
I wasn't sure about the overfeeding but thx, i started feeding them 5 times yesterday...
Is it okay to feed them 2 times beefheart and 3 times BS/daphnias?

CliffsDiscus
03-01-2019, 02:11 PM
For the small fry I usually use a small hand held cheese grater on a one pound beefheart, once the
fry are larger I'll use a small knife. Small sometimes have a difficult have an difficult time digesting chunks of beefheart, you have to wait till
the beefheart are full digest before another feeding.
The beefheart can really foul up the water change
is required.
Cliff

RaphGiroux
03-01-2019, 03:21 PM
Good idea for the grater as i'm using a knife by now!

I'm working 15 to midnight so i thought about feeding them 3 times before work (3/4 hours intervals) and 1 to 2 times when comming back...