PDA

View Full Version : Broken Canister Filter “Sun Sun 302”

dvsrk
03-04-2019, 10:19 PM
Hi,

I have my “sun sun canister” filter started leaking last night and I have to shut it off. I have put a sponge filter in the tank by adding “Fluval cycle booster” solution to the water.

Tank size is 72 gallon & I have six 5.5 inch discus in the tank.

Do I have to take any measures to keep the tank running without any issues until I fix my filter? I probably have lost all my beneficial bacteria from the broken filter since it’s more than 24 hours I shut off my filter.

Can someone suggest any measures to keep my fish safe until I fix my filter?
Do more/daily water changes help?

Appreciate your quick help on this.

Also, do anyone have any standard practices in such kind of emergency situation to keep the discus safe?

Thank you.

Pices
03-05-2019, 02:14 PM
I would do daily wc’s until your beneficial bacteria can catch up. If you really want to go the extra mile you could siphon off poop you see it after evening feed since you are the filtration system right now. I think if you have a fair sized sponge filter you should be ok with just daily wc’s.
Not sure if you’re feeding messy foods like beef heart, but I’d hold off on those for now too.
Patty

gators111
03-06-2019, 04:03 PM
+1 on the sponge filter or use an airstone. Feed lightly with flake or pellets. You could have put the trays in the tank, but if they are dried out now, it's probably too late. However, there should be enough BB in the tank to catch up within 48 hours to your bioload. Just make sure the water has plenty of oxygen in it.