PDA

View Full Version : Discus bloating it's self with baby snails

Filip
03-13-2019, 10:48 AM
I just want to share my odd experience here.

10 days ago I've added 3 new discus in my tank after a proper QT procedure . The most voracious eater stopped eating the 3th day although the two other discus were all well .
Ive transfered it in a QT tank and started the heat treatment to enchance appetite .Today I've found a bunch of very small baby pond snails on the bottom of the QT .
Snails looked undigested with shells on them although they looked dead , not moving .
Has anyone else experienced discus eating or hurting it's self from eating snails ?
Is there any idea on how to drive him away from this nasty habbit because now I'm scared that he will do it again once I get him back in the main tank .

LizStreithorst
03-13-2019, 02:04 PM
I have never had that, but I've never kept a planted Discus tank. I don't think you will be able to break him of this habit. In this case I think that assasin snails is in order. They will rid your tank of the pond snails.

jeep
03-13-2019, 02:17 PM
I've seen them go after snails, but if they can't digest the shell then it can't be good for them... I'd think they could rupture the intestine...

Filip
03-13-2019, 03:57 PM
Liz , Ive already added 10 grown Assasins 2-3 weeks ago and I see empty snail shells all over the tank , but I guess the process of complete extermination of all pond snails would take some time . Im afraid that he will continue with this too.

Brian , after the addition of epsom salt he pooped some more so it's definitely dangerous if it continues because he completely stuff it's self with them .

bluelagoon
03-14-2019, 09:04 AM
Not the same as snails but I had constipated discus from feeding them halibut roe (fish eggs).They couldn't digest the shell casings and I needed to use epsom salts which worked great.

Filip
03-21-2019, 06:12 PM
Just an update .
I got the greedy pond snail eater back in the main tank for a couple of days now and it seems like it's doing ok so far.
. It's eating with gusto again and constantly scavenge the bottom for food between the meals , but it doesn't get bloated . I see it eats and poops regulary on every meal although it eats until it's belly pops on every meal .
It's funny to say but it looks like he has learned his lesson this time .
In case bloating happens again , it's QT is ready for epsom salt bath again .

LizStreithorst
03-21-2019, 07:37 PM
Best of luck with him. I also hope that he learned a lesson.

Filip
03-21-2019, 08:52 PM
Best of luck with him. I also hope that he learned a lesson.

Thanks Liz .I'll sure need luck with this odd one :)