PDA

View Full Version : Black Discus, confused as to why

Lucyn
04-02-2019, 04:21 PM
Problem

1. Please explain the problems with your fish. When did you notice the problems and did anything unusual happen that you think started them?
I noticed that he wasn't acting like himself, very reclusive, timid, compared to his old self who would be sort of the "Alpha", of the tank. I noticed this a few days ago.

2. Symptoms (i.e. turning dark, excess slime, not eating, clamped fins, flashing, darting, clamped gills, white/yellow/green poop, hiding, headstanding or tailstanding, white on tips of fins, rotting or fungus, blisters/white zits on fish, bloated, cloudy eyes, wounds).
I can't notice anything particularly wrong with him, other than his abnormally dark color. He's the Discus I've had the longest, which confuses me as to why he's sick. He doesn't rush out to eat anymore, he kinda waits until it comes to him and eats, but he does certainly eat. His poop his normal color, I caught him pooping the other day, it looked very normal, brown. His gill plates are a little exposed, nothing extremely though.

3. What medications/ treatments have you already tried and what were the results. Include dosage and duration of treatment.
I dosed Praziquantal a few days ago. I'm considering a run of Erythromycin, or Artemis considering I think it's something bacterial, really looking for advise on what to use since I'm clueless as to what's wrong with him.

Tank/Water

4. Tank size and ages, numbers and sizes of fish.
29 Gallon QT, I've had for 6 weeks, around 3 inches with 7 2-3 inch Discus Tankmates.

5. Water change regime (What percentage and how often).
Every other day, 33%.

6. How long has tank been running? Is it bare bottom? If you have substrate, what type and how deep is it?
I've had a filter that I always keep cycled for about a year, an Aquaclear 300 and an Aquatop sponge filter rated for 25 gallons. It's bare bottoms with some plants, but I'm willing to take them out to dose medication tha would kill the plants.

7. Do you age your water? If you do for how long and what is the ph swing.
I don't age my water.

8. Parameters and water source;

Note: Water Parameters are important in diagnosing problems within a tank. If you don't own test kits for the following information, you can purchase them, test your parameters and post this info as soon as possible.

- temp 84-85F

- ph 7.2-7.4
- ammonia reading 0 ppm

- nitrite reading 0 ppm

- nitrate reading 10-15 ppm

What type of water or combinations of water sources do you use? If it is an RO/tap/well water mix, please list percentages in the mix.

I used tap water dosed with a dechlorinater, API.

9. Any new fish, plants or inverts added recently.
No.

10. Please tell us what you feed your fish and how often. This can be critical information for solving the problem so be as specific as you can.
I feed him a variety of foods, evenly distributed twice a day as much as he can eat for 5 minutes. I feed Blood Worms, Flakes, Pellets, Bio-Pure, Mysis Shrimp, Bug Bites Tropical Formula.

11. Include any pictures or videos you have which shows the symptoms. If you can't add them to this post, please provide a link to them.
I can provide pictures if requested.

jeep
04-02-2019, 07:46 PM
Yes, please post a photo. One thing that stands out is API. My experience was not good!

Also, try aging your water. If you use water straight from tap you can experience ph swings that are not good for discus, although with the small amount of water you change this may not be the problem...

Also, nitrates should be less than 5. In that small of tank, I would increase the water changes to 50% daily with ages water using Prime as a conditioner...

Filip
04-02-2019, 08:26 PM
I'm I getting this right Bryce ? You only have your discus for 6 weeks now and you keep tottal of 8 - 3 inch discus in a 30 Gallon tank with a 33% WC every other day ?
Also how did you kept your filter cycled for a year before your discus ?

If I'm getting the whole story right, the only problem you have is an overstocked and undermaintained tank . Getting an aging barel with a pump and changing 90% water daily with aged water using dechlorinator should solve the problems that you ve experienced .