PDA

View Full Version : Eggs Hatched in Fungus.

Matt Rose
04-05-2019, 12:29 PM
Hey Discus lovers,

After some advice - I have something I have never come across before. I have one of my pairs spawned on a cone, they are first time parents and about 12-14 months old so still very young. I guarded the eggs one of them fancied a feast or was a little too keen to clear up dead eggs and gobbled the lot by mistake, anyway I digress.

I added meth Blue until day 2 when they turned into wrigglers (with the cone guard still on) some fungus from an unfertilised egg spread into a lovely fluffy white cloud across and in between the wrigglers. What would you do next?

Do I remove the cone and hope for the best?
Do I leave the cone on for another day or two and hope they wriggle themselves free of the cotton wall like cloud of fungus?
Or do I remove Dad (the less attentive of the two parents) separate the hatched wrigglers from the fungus myself and turkey Baste them back onto mum in the tank alone?
Or something completely different?

Thanks in advance for your help

Matt Rose
04-05-2019, 12:30 PM

Matt Rose
04-05-2019, 12:31 PM

CliffsDiscus
04-05-2019, 12:51 PM
Looks like a good size batch. Leave them alone.

Cliff

Matt Rose
04-05-2019, 01:58 PM
Thanks Cliff - I was kind of swinging that way just wasn’t sure if the little guys and girls had the strength to get out of the fungus. Would you leave the cone guard on until they have free swam away on their own?

RogueDiscus
04-05-2019, 03:01 PM
Cliff's pretty experienced, so he can tell us if he disagrees, but I've had that happen and when they start free-swimming, you get these clumps of fry swimming erratically. If the parents don't clean them up, I've stirred them a bit to try to help them break loose.

jeep
04-06-2019, 12:39 AM
Looks like a good size batch. Leave them alone.

Cliff

:thumbsup:

Matt Rose
04-06-2019, 06:26 PM
Thanks for the advice guys and girls - they are still hanging on in there - the parents did move a few that fell off onto the sponge filter but after a few hours they dissapeared. Don’t know if they moved them again to somewhere else or if the ate them, the vast majority are still wriggling away hopefully will attach to the parents in the next few days, Mum is a pigeon silver so thinking they might finding her Challenging. Fingers crossed - I will post some photos again tomorrow hopefully

Matt Rose
04-08-2019, 01:42 PM
They made it through the fungus cloud - amazing - happily feeding off mum, don’t know why but only feeding off the female who is the lighter of the two (although she has darkened a bit) not fed off the male yet 123365