PDA

View Full Version : Confusion about new tank

Lewjo11
04-24-2019, 12:27 PM
I need a new tank and saw this on OfferUp. I've never used a Sump and prefer not to. Does this tank require a sump? Please help.
Check out this 55 gallon aquarium fish tank , with stand . can be used for reptiles for $60 on OfferUp

https://offerup.co/5y4kV0Au9V

gators111
04-24-2019, 01:36 PM
It's not a requirement. You could rig a canister filter to it. But I would recommend to use a sump, bc they are so much easier to do. I know many worry about leaks and complexity, but sumps are great. I was nervous as well, but after watching a couple of Youtube vids, it isn't a big deal. For what you would pay for a cannister, you can easily build your own sump that does a much better job of filtration.

Lewjo11
04-24-2019, 05:11 PM
I do have a canister filter I never used. It's from when I purchased another tank a few months ago. Is it designed for that purpose? The guy said something about it having a built in filter

gators111
04-26-2019, 02:35 PM
There is no built in filter. It has an overflow, a durso overflow pipe that takes the water to the sump (I'm guessing it's 1" pvc) and a return (guessing 3/4" pvc) that needs a 90* elbow with a hole drilled in the crook to prevent back siphoning and a locline to direct the flow where you want it. Also, I would replace the bulkheads underneath. The return looks sawed off. And you don't know how old they are and they are the first place a tank will leak. Plus, they are cheap, around $5 a piece. You will need them for a canister filter too, unless you set up your tank without using the overflow. Again, there are tons of videos on Youtube on how to set up a reef-ready aquarium. I would highly recommend you check them out.

danotaylor
04-26-2019, 05:53 PM
The link said it sold. Did you buy it?

Lewjo11
04-26-2019, 10:40 PM
No seemed too confusing! Lol!!! Thanks all for your input. I bought a used 29g for $20. Lol