PDA

View Full Version : stressed new discus need quarantine?

chiuey
05-01-2019, 01:08 PM
Bought 6 new discus for my newly cycled tank about 5 days ago. Nothing in the tank except a few plecos. 5 of the discus are doing pretty well, eating and exploring. However, there is one hiding in the corner, turned all dark for the past 3 days, not eating. But he does peck at others when they get near him. On occasions, he'll leave his spot and swim around but then kinda goes back. Should I quarantine him? Also, will that stressed fish affect/infect my other discus? Thanks

brewmaster15
05-01-2019, 02:10 PM
Hi,
Couple of questions for you. Were these discus shipped or picked up locally?

Newly cycled tank? Can you check ammonia and nitrites.. Right about now you could be having a spike from the added load and this discus could just be more sensitive.
What are you doing for water changes?

al

chiuey
05-01-2019, 02:43 PM
Hi,
Couple of questions for you. Were these discus shipped or picked up locally?

Newly cycled tank? Can you check ammonia and nitrites.. Right about now you could be having a spike from the added load and this discus could just be more sensitive.
What are you doing for water changes?

al

These were picked up locally. Ammonia and nitrite last night were 0. about 5 nitrates. I'll check it again tonight. temp was fluctuating a bit from 82.5-84F. I see my yellow discus being a bit of a bully but hes not bullying the stressed one. I was doing gravel vacs everyday cus of the pleco poop, and changed about 30% daily through python out of tap water. A little worried that pH is a bit different out of tap than tank water. Out of tap is about 8.5, tank water is around 8. No room for aged water barrel unfortunately. I'll see if I can get a video up

chiuey
05-01-2019, 04:16 PM
here's a video of it. The stressed fish stays at top left corner

https://arlo.netgear.com/hmsweb/users/library/share/link/2E1C4CDDAE59D5C6_201905

LizStreithorst
05-01-2019, 04:29 PM
My first suggestion is that you separate the fish and watch it. My second is that you find room for a water storage container. A pH swing of .4 or more is stressful to the fish.

brewmaster15
05-01-2019, 05:07 PM
How much water are you changing?

chiuey
05-01-2019, 06:29 PM
How much water are you changing?

was doing 20-30% changes every day. In the beginning they were all shy and together, after they've gotten kind of used to the tank, they are pecking at each other, and 2 of them were really going at each other head on. I'm hoping they are still just adjusting. Would putting tetras in there calm them down?

brewmaster15
05-01-2019, 07:34 PM
I would not put anything else in there. In time they will settle in and form hierachy.

chiuey
05-02-2019, 08:18 PM
So pretty crazy as these discus are just a few days new in the tank, I realized why one was pecking at the others...she actually spawned onto the heater and was protecting her eggs. This is NOT the discus that is stressed in the corner, but another one in the other corner. So I have another question. I am not wanting to breed, these eggs most likely wont get fertilized and dead from the heat. There's a pair that just hangs out by the eggs the whole time guarding dead eggs. When should I be removing the eggs from the heater? Or will they get eaten/go away by its own?

LizStreithorst
05-02-2019, 08:24 PM
It's good to know that all is well. You can either wipe the eggs off the heater now or wait until the pair decides to eat them.

Filip
05-03-2019, 03:47 AM
Maybe what you see with discus darkening and staying in one place is just a normal breeding behaviour .
You mentioned gravel and 20-30 % WCs and you might want to reconsider this practice . Try to do at least one "above 50% WC" per week and switch the gravel bed with thin layer of sand .