PDA

View Full Version : My first 90 gallon discus aquarium

Anthony4822
05-07-2019, 06:06 PM
Hello all, my name is Landon my boyfriend and I started an account here after being on MFK so long I finally felt like the vibe wasn’t well lol. Anyways, speaking as a first time discus keeper I know this is the place to come for solutions. I’m glad to be here. Here’s the run down, I had a predator setup that I decided to convert into a more peaceful setup after meeting my boyfriend who fell in love with discus a the the pet store one day and now I have the love of my life and my best friend to share my hobby with!

The 90 gallon aquarium was purchased with built in sump filtration. I added lots of white sand and a few pieces of driftwood. I also added every bag and piece of filter media rock that the pet store owner had to sell me. To help boost the cycle process I added two hang on the back aqua clears that were running on the original 55 gallon for eleven months. Everything was fine and all of the fish were moved over until one day I added a chemical called PH DOWN that dropped my ph below 6, possibly 5 and Jack Watleys partner in Miami (I get all of my discus from Jack Watley miami) told me to do %50 water changes daily dosing with stability and this cold bottle chemical product that I have to keep refrigerator that is said to contain nothing but live bacteria. It’s been about a week and half since this happened. I was doing was I read even as a child keeping, or trying to keep the fish at a low natural ph without considering these are tank bred bloodlines that are hardier and more accepting of higher ph ranges. Jack watleys partner, i forget his name told me to keep my fish at my tap waters ph because its not about the number but the stability. I feed them blood worms and black worms three times a day and flakes for my cardinals that they pick at occasionally. I am currently doing daily %50 water changes and dosing with prime, stability and more until my tank recycles. The fish are very active and not effected what so ever! Constantly begging for food haha..

My normal routing for housing ten juveniles is twice weekly %50 water changes, sometimes more. I have a sump and sock filter, I’ve been changing the sock every two days. I’m really hoping everything balances out soon, I’m literally praying for it. These fish are our complete pride and joy and i hate to see anything happen to them. Keep doing what I’m doing or do you guys have any other advice? OH! And just so the record is clear i used the product “ph down” as directed and it wiped out all of my beneficial bacteria so here i am a week and half later with some good looking fish who seem happy and I’m hoping for the best!

Thank you for taking the time to listen!
And so everyone know, I’m reforming four of the fish in the next year to avoid overcrowding my aquarium. Ten adults would be overkill. I DO NOT have adults.123764123765123766123767123768123769123770

Filip
05-08-2019, 08:25 AM
Hi and welcome Landon .
Gabe Posada (I guess ) already gave you the best advice , and that is to just change a lot of water and don't mess with any chemicals .
Discus are really that simple , just regular WCs , good filter and sand maintenance and couple of feedings daily .
I wish you good luck with your new discus and hope to follow their progress , documented here on the forum.

Good luck