PDA

View Full Version : Gold Mystery snails

RogueDiscus
05-09-2019, 03:00 PM
A local is selling gold mystery snails of various sizes for $1 each. I assume quarantine is required, but any other issues to consider? Would probably go in my potted-plant angels, rams, BN tank.

LizStreithorst
05-09-2019, 03:28 PM
I got some magenta mystery snails on AB a while ago. Thank God I didn't put them with my Discus or Angels. I cured what they carried quickly but not until I'd lost several Rainbows.

Put a sacrificial lamb in a tank with them before you add them to your main tanks.

Mine were Magenta Mystery Snail. They are really quite beautiful. I'll send you some free, but even though the pathogens should be gone from them, I'd still use a hero fish.

RogueDiscus
05-09-2019, 03:41 PM
Hi Liz,
So, they're red/magenta? Sound neat. How big do they get? Do you suggest I avoid the locals? What did you have to do to "cure" them? And your offer, free but plus shipping, right? You shouldn't have to pay anything. Here's the ad pic.

LizStreithorst
05-09-2019, 04:20 PM
I encourage buying local! Mine were little things when I got them grew amazingly fast. They're breeding age now. Golds are nice, just not to my taste. I'll take pics of mine when I get in the mood for taking pictures, no later than tomorrow. Mine are at breeding age now. They're every bit as large as my old brown ones. If you expect them to get as big as an apple dream on.

of course they're free to you. IMO snails aren't worth money and your a friend.

RogueDiscus
05-09-2019, 05:06 PM
Your apple comment made me do a quick search. I was thinking shell about an inch in diameter, but do they get larger?

Adam S
05-09-2019, 05:22 PM
I've never seen a mystery much bigger than a golf ball. True apples can get as big as a softball.

LizStreithorst
05-09-2019, 05:48 PM
I've never had one as big as a golf ball.

Second Hand Pat
05-11-2019, 08:36 AM
There are several types of apple snails. There are several types living in Florida waters both native and invasive. One of the invasive ones gets huge. The Limpkins love them LOL ...to eat.
Pat

LizStreithorst
05-11-2019, 08:43 AM
Apple snails are different from Mystery snails. Mystery snails don't eat plants. Apple snails will devour every plant in a tank.

Second Hand Pat
05-11-2019, 09:18 AM
Adam, mentioned apple snails Liz. Sorry to going off track :)
Pat

LizStreithorst
05-11-2019, 09:54 AM
Yes, he did.

Adam S
05-12-2019, 12:03 AM
If you're worried about nasties from mystery snails, you could setup a separate tank, wait for an egg clutch, and dip the clutch in iodine solution. Probably the safest snails are going to get.