PDA

View Full Version : Petco had a sale...

Emanresu
05-12-2019, 09:46 AM
and I bought 5, 2-3" discus. Rescued might be more fitting. They looked healthy and active in the store, but Petco keeps their systems at 78 F and only feeds a pinch of generic flake food once a day :-/ On the plus side, the store is less than a mile from my house so transport and stress was minimal. Now, with proper params and diet they are doing splendidly! Looking forward to watching them grow :-)

I have kept discus in the past, but am new to the forum. Anyone here in the DMV area?

Cheers!

jeep
05-12-2019, 12:53 PM
Welcome to the forum! Do you have any photo's of your rescue?

Pices
05-12-2019, 01:20 PM
Welcome to the forum and good luck with your babies. I’d like to see pics too.
Patty

Emanresu
05-12-2019, 09:08 PM
Thank you! I will take some pics soon! :)

Emanresu
05-16-2019, 01:46 AM
Unfortunately, I lost the smallest one. It declined quickly a few days after being in QT. Silver lining is that Petco has a 30 day guarantee and I picked up the remaining two at the store. I haven't had the opportunity to take any pics, but hopefully this weekend. The others are still doing great :-)

peewee1
05-16-2019, 09:15 AM
I had not visited a Petco before and did not know they sold fish including discus. Price and variety of the fish that you purchased?

jeep
05-16-2019, 10:46 AM
That's a shame you lost one. The main issue with buying from Petco (and others) they use a central filtration system (usually), and many times they dose the system with medications that may mask a potential issue.

Keep us updated on these guys in case something else arises and maybe we can help avoid another loss...

Brian

Emanresu
05-16-2019, 01:48 PM
I had not visited a Petco before and did not know they sold fish including discus. Price and variety of the fish that you purchased?

Petco does sell a variety of both fresh and salt. Not every store is going to have the same stock though.

The price is steep at $40 for a roughly 2.5" discus. The sale brought them down to $32 with Pals reward card which is going on thru the 27th of this month. $32 is still kinda steep for young discus, but having the store very close to home is worth the convenience of not having to bother with shipping or long drives.

As far as variety, I bought: 1x Brilliant Blue, 1x Blue Turq, 4x standard Heckle, 1x Pigeon Blood. The Pigeon is the one I lost, unfortunately.

Emanresu
05-16-2019, 01:55 PM
That's a shame you lost one. The main issue with buying from Petco (and others) they use a central filtration system (usually), and many times they dose the system with medications that may mask a potential issue.

Keep us updated on these guys in case something else arises and maybe we can help avoid another loss...

Brian

Yeah, it came as a surprise. Everything else is doing well. I usually shy from buying at big box stores, but I've got a fever that only more discus can cure :p

Thank you, and I will! :)