PDA

View Full Version : Peppering

malcourt
05-30-2019, 09:34 PM
I have a quick question. Can someone tell me what causes this peppering on discus? I've heard it comes from planted tanks, tanks with driftwood, or breeding certain colors together. I have no idea what is true or just a bunch of hogwash.

Paul

slicksta
05-30-2019, 09:56 PM
It's geneetic mostly associated with Pigeon Bloods.
Maybe one of the breeders can give you further details

Second Hand Pat
05-30-2019, 10:47 PM
Hi Paul, most Pigeon Bloods are clean these days but they can show some pepper when the background or substrate is dark. They can also show peppering when kept under less then optimal conditions. Also any fry from a non-Pigeon Blood parent and a Pigeon Blood parent generally show pepper.
hths,
Pat

CliffsDiscus
05-31-2019, 01:06 PM
It's geneetic mostly associated with Pigeon Bloods.
Maybe one of the breeders can give you further details

Creator of the pigeon bloods was Kitti Phanaitthi in
Thailand from a red turquoise mutation instead of
the black stress bars the black was scatter over the
body.

Cliff

Dee1958
05-31-2019, 01:17 PM
Creator of the pigeon bloods was Kitti Phanaitthi in
Thailand from a red turquoise mutation instead of
the black stress bars the black was scatter over the
body.

Cliff

Can someone define what peppering is

Dee

slicksta
05-31-2019, 01:39 PM
As suggested by the word... Tiny black spots

jeep
05-31-2019, 01:42 PM
In the most basic terms, the PB strain was developed from a single discus that was a genetic mutation. I can't remember if it was wild caught or not, but it almost culled. PB's are all bar-less and the "peppering" takes the place of the bars non-PB fish. When a regular discus is stressed, sick or breeding, the bars darken. When a PB is stressed, sick or breeding, the pepper darkens.

I can't remember where the book I first read is, but if I find it I will post it. I may be wrong, but I think Jack Wattley was involved in this first mutation...

CliffsDiscus
05-31-2019, 03:41 PM
Wattley sold the Pigeonblood under the name Panda
in TFH and WWFF sold the Pigeonblood under the
name Red Dragon.

Cliff

malcourt
07-01-2019, 12:20 AM
Think you all for the information! I received three different answers from three very well known discus websites and for some reason they didn't give the answers the others gave or any of you gave on this board! I mean these are very well known discus breeders which I'm sure all of you know. To me genetics has to be the only answer and stress enhances many traits but I also understand I don't know a lot about discus right now. What I do find amazing is when these people have such great reputations how they can give such very different answers to a simple question? Thank you all for helping.

Second Hand Pat
07-01-2019, 07:42 AM
What kind of answers did you receive? and from where.
Pat