PDA

View Full Version : Discus are smart ;) ;)

eugenefish
05-31-2019, 02:47 PM
When they know I have the camera pointing to some of them. It only take 2 seconds for the rest of them start doing photobomb in front of the 3 white albino :o

What can I do?? Look like everyone want to be on camera

jeep
05-31-2019, 02:55 PM
Those are some nice fish!!

LizStreithorst
05-31-2019, 03:04 PM
They're just jealous because they know that they're all just as good. They can't help that they aren't solid white. Very nice bunch you have there. Congrats!

eugenefish
05-31-2019, 04:55 PM
Those are some nice fish!!

Thank you Jeep.

eugenefish
05-31-2019, 04:57 PM
They're just jealous because they know that they're all just as good. They can't help that they aren't solid white. Very nice bunch you have there. Congrats!

Thank you Liz. I follow your easy guide line of discus keeping. Water change everyday and feed them good......;) ;)

LizStreithorst
05-31-2019, 05:16 PM
It's not my easy guide. It's Simply's easy guide. Learn it, do it, and pass it on. It's just the way we do things here.

eugenefish
05-31-2019, 06:25 PM
Well said Liz. SimplyDiscus has made keeping Discus from challenging to pretty easy and enjoyable.

The only thing I can think of the discus are not so smart is I can fool them to think they are living in the nature by doing massive water change everyday. When I grow them out from the baby, I even do WC twice a day. And watching them getting bigger and bigger each week are so amazing

Second Hand Pat
06-01-2019, 07:06 AM
Hi Engene, that is a handsome crew you have there. :D How many fish are in that tank??
Pat

discuspaul
06-01-2019, 10:55 AM
Very well done Eugene - you did a great job of growing that group out - helps to start out with Rick's (Canadian Aqua Farm) high quality fish though, doesn't it ?
What size were they when you got them - quarter size ?

Please post a full tank shot when you have time.

LizStreithorst
06-01-2019, 12:58 PM
I can tell that you have the Discus addiction now. It can make you feel wonderful as well as make you feel like dirt. I know all about it because I have been addicted for 18 years.

I want to know all about the fish and the tanks with lots of pictures. I honestly can't remember seeing such a good looking group of Discus.

eugenefish
06-02-2019, 03:10 PM
Hi Engene, that is a handsome crew you have there. :D How many fish are in that tank??
Pat

Hi Pat, I have a totally of 20 Discus in my 210 gal. So far they are very peaceful and treat each other very well even during the feeding time. Half of the group are just over a year old and the about half are 10 months old.

eugenefish
06-02-2019, 03:26 PM
Very well done Eugene - you did a great job of growing that group out - helps to start out with Rick's (Canadian Aqua Farm) high quality fish though, doesn't it ?

Thank you Paul for everything. I read all of your wonderful articles you posted on subject about discus and plants. I follow you to the letters and I have to tell everyone I have a great success on both Discus and Plants. Some of my 1 years old discus have reached 7.5'' and even the smallest one is about 6". My plants have new leaf coming out every 2 weeks.

Here is my 210 gal look like. I am a true believer of minimalist tank. It is easier to maintenance, you get admire with your discus with less/no distraction. Discus itself is beautiful and graceful enough to get everyone full attention!! Beside that, going minimalist approach is easier on pocket too! All the saving can go back to the fish and feed them more FDBW..... :) ;)

eugenefish
06-02-2019, 03:36 PM
I can tell that you have the Discus addiction now. It can make you feel wonderful as well as make you feel like dirt. I know all about it because I have been addicted for 18 years.

I want to know all about the fish and the tanks with lots of pictures. I honestly can't remember seeing such a good looking group of Discus.

I am in the Discus hole for sure Liz and there is no turning back for me:) I say they can make me feel wonderful as well as make me feeling very wet. They have no patient and no manners at all when it come to feeding time. I can't remember how many times they have splashed water all over me if I am not fast enough to drop the food into the tank for them to eat.

eugenefish
06-02-2019, 03:42 PM

Rick from Canadian Aqua Farm is a wonderful breeder to deal with if you are from Canada. His discus (in any sizes) are top quality and very healthy. All my 20 discus in the 210 gal were all start at quarter size (about 3 weeks old) when I bought from him.

eugenefish
06-03-2019, 02:59 PM
And this is the same group of discus when I took picture of them a year ago when I start my discus journey. Time flies......

LizStreithorst
06-03-2019, 03:48 PM
I'm as impressed by the quality of your growing out process as I am with the quality of the Discus you bought. Your minimalist tank is beautiful.

discuspaul
06-03-2019, 07:45 PM
Thank you Paul for everything. I read all of your wonderful articles you posted on subject about discus and plants. I follow you to the letters and I have to tell everyone I have a great success on both Discus and Plants. Some of my 1 years old discus have reached 7.5'' and even the smallest one is about 6". My plants have new leaf coming out every 2 weeks.

Here is my 210 gal look like. I am a true believer of minimalist tank. It is easier to maintenance, you get admire with your discus with less/no distraction. Discus itself is beautiful and graceful enough to get everyone full attention!! Beside that, going minimalist approach is easier on pocket too! All the saving can go back to the fish and feed them more FDBW..... :) ;)

Your complimentary words are much appreciated, Eugene - it gives me great pleasure to hear that I've helped you become as successful at discus-keeping as you obviously are !

snxtif
06-03-2019, 11:52 PM
Wow. Those are beauties.

Nice tank layout, lighting as well. Love it!

eugenefish
06-04-2019, 12:46 PM
I'm as impressed by the quality of your growing out process as I am with the quality of the Discus you bought. Your minimalist tank is beautiful.

Thank you Liz for your kind words. I just follow the suggestion again from this forum and search for a good discus breeder to start my discus journey. I even go to his farm and met with him personally as well as checking out his discus. I guess all hard working pay off :o

eugenefish
06-04-2019, 12:55 PM
Your complimentary words are much appreciated, Eugene - it gives me great pleasure to hear that I've helped you become as successful at discus-keeping as you obviously are !

I started my first discus keeping about 20 years ago. I bought 3 three inches discus from the local pet store. They only last for 5 days and they were all dead. I don't have any idea why they died.... That bad experience haunted me for trying them again for the next 20 years until I find this forum and all the experience discus keepers here. I read every single post and thread here and then I bite the bullet. Be honest, the first few months of have those babies, I even got up in the middle of the night and check them out just to make sure they are still alive. Now everything become history and fun memories :blushing:

eugenefish
06-04-2019, 01:53 PM
Wow. Those are beauties.

Nice tank layout, lighting as well. Love it!

Thank you Cyrus. Totally agree about the "water change is not just a chore, it's is life now.....". I can do the water change even I close my eyes ;)

Sturiosoma
07-31-2019, 06:11 AM
You have done well, I know myself being new to discus breeding, and the breeding is the easy part, but I had troubles with my first set of fry/juvies but thanks to the help of a reputable breeder I have really turned things around and hope to continue to build my fish room, so good advice does help.

Jeanne

eugenefish
08-06-2019, 01:00 PM
Time for updating on the status of my just over one year old discus. Since my FDBW supplier is out of stock for almost 2 months now I only give my discus with my home made beef heart seafood mix diet during that period of time. The color development on my discus are getting better and more intense. Beside the diet, I am still doing daily 70% WC ;) ;)

I am so happy with the outcome.

discuspaul
08-06-2019, 06:20 PM
Your fish are great-looking, Eugene - I'm sure you're proud of them !

eugenefish
08-07-2019, 11:43 AM
Hi Paul, thank you for you kind words. Yes, I am proud to have them especially I grow them out from babies. I also find out keeping Discus is not mission impossible as long as you follow a few simple rules :)

eugenefish
01-17-2020, 01:39 PM
Discus are getting some new neighbors. So far they are living happily together and the Rams start showing off their true color since they were introduce into the discus tank 5 days ago.

eugenefish
01-23-2020, 01:01 PM
What can I do?? Look like everyone want to be on camera

That is for sure everyone want to be on camera and show off :) :)

Mando
01-23-2020, 02:17 PM
Wow, Eugene. I'm very impressed! beautiful minimalist tank and beautiful collection of fish! Thank you for keeping us updated and entertained :)

eugenefish
01-23-2020, 02:31 PM
Wow, Eugene. I'm very impressed! beautiful minimalist tank and beautiful collection of fish! Thank you for keeping us updated and entertained :)

Thank you Mando.

eugenefish
01-27-2020, 02:14 PM
Very nice bunch you have there. Congrats!

Thank you Kitafi.

Steve_Gurule
07-28-2023, 01:37 AM
That’s a beautiful fish!

Steve_Gurule
07-28-2023, 01:50 AM
Actually they are all very nice! Great job! Can I ask where you purchased them?

eugenefish
07-28-2023, 12:00 PM
Thank you :)

eugenefish
07-28-2023, 12:04 PM
I bought them from Canadian Aqua farm and the owner is Rick. He is a very well known discus guy. His discus are the best in Canada. However for some reasons he doesn't raise or sell discus anymore. You can always email him, I am sure he still know someone has good sources of discus for sell. https://stores.canadianaquafarm.com/

Iminit
07-28-2023, 09:51 PM
Been a few years. How are your discus doing? How about the rams?