PDA

View Full Version : Its so important to recycle!

brewmaster15
06-04-2019, 05:52 PM
Im a re-user recycler where ever I can... Alot of good stuff gets thrown out everyday!

Fish boxes...

old water storage tank..

old acrylic tank...

Discontinued obsolete solar panel...

old decking and shingles given away on craigslist..

If I can figure out how to use it.. I will. It may not always be pretty lol but if its useful Im happy enough.

Anybody else recycle?

Al

slicksta
06-04-2019, 06:22 PM
Are you kidding... I have an Italian mother... There isn't a container that doesn't have a second use. ��

LizStreithorst
06-04-2019, 06:42 PM
There is no formal recycling here. Everything thrown away goes to the land fill. I ususally have 2 50 lb feed sacks of trash and garbage every week. I hate it!

I put everything I can into the compost pile. But I never though about using fish boxes! My LPS gives them to me for free. I bet they're great for growing herbs. What all do you have growing in yours?

brewmaster15
06-04-2019, 06:50 PM
Are you kidding... I have an Italian mother... There isn't a container that doesn't have a second use. ��

Thats where I got it from I guess.... my mom came from Italy when she was 9 :)

brewmaster15
06-04-2019, 06:55 PM
There is no formal recycling here. Everything thrown away goes to the land fill. I ususally have 2 50 lb feed sacks of trash and garbage every week. I hate it!

I put everything I can into the compost pile. But I never though about using fish boxes! My LPS gives them to me for free. I bet they're great for growing herbs. What all do you have growing in yours?
Liz they are great... I currently have spinach, chicory (Italian Dandelion). Kale, Basil and hops...

I ve got a ton of big boxes in the attic from my fish buying days...I will never use them all. most of what I ship are in small boxes now so its time to recycle some of the more beat up ones.

al

LizStreithorst
06-04-2019, 07:04 PM
Did you poke holes in the bottoms for drainage? What kind of potting mix did you use?

It's too late here to plant greens in south Mississippi, but I'm just itchin' to start an herb garden. There's lots of stuff that I can plant now.

brewmaster15
06-04-2019, 08:03 PM
Liz I did pop out holes for drainage and for soil its a layer of my chicken coops old bedding at bottom and a mix of yard soil and composted chicken bedding and leaves..

Can you grow the mescalin salad mixes there... I grow them straight thru the summer here.. in the barrels and boxes. They germinate in days and Im picking greens in a few weeks.

Its about the only green that I can plant thru the summer.

these boxes are good for a zucchini as well.... maybe summer squash for you?

Al

Captain Discus
06-05-2019, 04:44 PM
Al. ok you peek my curiosity. the black panels are those solar panels or reflectors for increased light?
I am jealous I used to have a veggie garden that covered an acre. my family and employees loved it 50 tomato plants 50 peppers, lettuce and a lot of herbs.
Now I am at work to much and sunk to going to the grocery Blaaa.
Love to see what you folks are up to besides fishies.
Tom.

FischAutoTechGarten
06-05-2019, 05:10 PM
Al, love the vegetation in your back yard. I miss the green landscapes of New England. All the starting of plants in containers, indoors, in the early spring. Then, taking them outside and thinking, Why not? I'll leave them in the container on my back deck. :D

pm9ljr
06-06-2019, 07:20 AM
thanks for posting... I never thought of using the Styrofoam boxes for herbs - going to set up a couple today

slicksta
06-06-2019, 08:59 AM
And don't forget to recycle the waste water from your aquarium to the garden. My bushes, shrubs and annuals never looked better

LizStreithorst
06-07-2019, 01:47 PM
Al, what do you do about drainage in the old aquariums? I just planted a parsley in an old fish box but I have 3 aquariums I would love to put to work.

brewmaster15
09-06-2019, 08:19 AM
Al, what do you do about drainage in the old aquariums? I just planted a parsley in an old fish box but I have 3 aquariums I would love to put to work.

I just saw this Liz, sorry.. You will laugh but I use a hammer and safety glasses. .::) just a small tap,, and crack..Crazy I know, but most of the old tanks I use are already cracked on the sides.
al