PDA

View Full Version : my first "problem"

timvriens
07-14-2019, 03:56 PM
so i was looking at my fish and saw this, is this finrot or are the fins just damaged from fighting and the fish being dumb

https://myalbum.com/photo/Ci8Tdzzw9dvz/1k0.jpg
https://myalbum.com/photo/Uc6Q7q9xDA8C/1k0.jpg

this is the only fish with this problem

hope its nothing serious :confused:

danotaylor
07-14-2019, 04:05 PM

danotaylor
07-14-2019, 04:06 PM
What is your nitrate reading Tim? Looks like nitrate burn.
My fish developed a similar white edge on the tail fin when I increased my feeding but not my WC's. Adding salt at 3-5tbsp/10 gal for 2 weeks and ncreasing my WC % to keep my nitrates <10 was all it took to heal up.

RogueDiscus
07-14-2019, 04:10 PM
I also know this as ammonia burn, but probably the same chemical problem. This sometimes shows up after shipping. Agree, keep up with water guality/changes and it usually goes away.

timvriens
07-14-2019, 04:12 PM
no idea, i never test my water, i know shame on me :(

but i do daily 80% waterchance a day , i will up them and hope it heals soon

also i wil ask a friend to come and test my water

jeep
07-15-2019, 05:43 PM
I agree it looks similar to ammonia burns, but this would probably affect the gills as well. How's the breathing?

timvriens
07-17-2019, 12:36 AM
So my nitrite is 0,5mg/l , my nitrate 25mg/l and my amonia is 0,5mg/ l

I’m doing 2 water charges a day of 60/70%
The white on the sidefins fel off, so it looks like a damaged Fin now
The tail stil has the white edge

I’m also working on updating my aquarium and filtration

Second Hand Pat
07-17-2019, 06:30 AM
So my nitrite is 0,5mg/l , my nitrate 25mg/l and my amonia is 0,5mg/ l

I’m doing 2 water charges a day of 60/70%
The white on the sidefins fel off, so it looks like a damaged Fin now
The tail stil has the white edge

I’m also working on updating my aquarium and filtration

Seems like your fish outgrew your bio-media?? if that is possible?? Perhaps you did something which killed your bacteria? Either way seems like you are in the right track.
Pat

Sturiosoma
07-17-2019, 07:53 AM
It sounds as though your tank is constantly trying to cycle due to the extreme daily water changes I would cut back on the changes to 50% a day and if you can afford discus why not a water test kit and what are you using to remove chlorimines.

Jeanne

danotaylor
07-17-2019, 08:28 AM
Tim I think I read elsewhere that you said you age your water, is that correct? If so, for how long?
Either way, do you dechlorinate/dechloramine as you fill the main tank?

slicksta
07-17-2019, 08:34 AM
Can you give the details of your updates?
Seems you may have killed off some of the bacteria in your filter if you have an Ammonia and nitrIte reading

Most of the time the fins/tail grow back perfectly

JamesW
07-17-2019, 09:45 AM
Tim I think I read elsewhere that you said you age your water, is that correct? If so, for how long?
Either way, do you dechlorinate/dechloramine as you fill the main tank?

I was thinking the same thing Dan, could also be chlorine burn. With that size WC you need the incoming water to be spot on.

timvriens
07-17-2019, 01:09 PM
I use a hma filter to clean my tap water of chlorine and heavy metals and then it goes in my tank

i'm also thinking my fish outgrew the bio media , i orderd 4 liter of siporax to ad to my filter and tank to age

on saterday i'm ordering a new and much bigger tank with a sump, so i hope that wil solve my problems

slicksta
07-17-2019, 03:11 PM
Yes I think so... Any reading of Ammonia or Nitrite at this stage is a problem. Whether too little media or you've killed off some bacteria inadvertently.

I don't think chlorine is the problem unless your hma is bypassing...thus killing your filter.
If your fish are being burned by chlorine, it usually affects the gills more and they have a hard time breathing.

Seems you have a handle on it... What's your current tank and filter?

timvriens
07-17-2019, 03:34 PM
a 250l tank with a sera 250uv canister

I thought that a filter was not that important with my big daily waterchanges, man i was wrong :p

slicksta
07-17-2019, 04:01 PM
Fish do produce waste 24/7.
And depending solely on water changes leaves you in a bad spot if you have to divert from your typical schedule.

That filter should be able to handle your load...What media do you have in it?.... What's the amount of fish?

timvriens
07-17-2019, 04:11 PM
i now have in total 4 liter sera siporax in thet filter and 2 more liters hanging by my filter outlet / airstone to cycle

and i have 15 fish that are between 11 and 13 cm

JamesW
07-18-2019, 09:57 AM
A bottle of tetra safe start plus, api quick start or seachem stability can't hurt at this point. If you add it immediately after your WC they should help to re-establish your bio-army.

fljones3
07-18-2019, 04:34 PM
It's a little more price-wise, but I have found Sera bio nitrivec actually works. Some of the others mentioned did & didn't. Sera has not failed me yet.