PDA

View Full Version : Monday I will buy fresh gulf shrimp

LizStreithorst
08-10-2019, 01:24 PM
What with it being too hot to do anything outside, I've been poking around Serious Eats looking for good recipes.

What do y'all think of this? I wonder if I really have to de vein the shrimp. It's a real pain but I'll do it if I must.

https://www.seriouseats.com/2018/04/harissa-broiled-shrimp-with-butter-and-beer.html

Second Hand Pat
08-10-2019, 04:23 PM
That sounds amazing Liz :) Not sure about the deveining part. I do not recall deveining shrimp when I caught them wild as a kid. Just took the head off and had fun.
Pat

LizStreithorst
08-10-2019, 04:49 PM
Not deviling, Pat. deveining. ie taking the poop canal out. I don't do that when I make shrimp, even large ones that this recipe calls for.

Second Hand Pat
08-10-2019, 05:12 PM
I’m agreeing with you lose Liz :)
Pat

LizStreithorst
08-10-2019, 05:19 PM
lol...the spell check got you, didn't it?

Adam S
08-10-2019, 05:54 PM
I don't bother if they're being mixed into a pasta or something but usually devein they're being served by themselves.

jeep
08-10-2019, 06:12 PM
You had me at shrimp :thumbsup:

And if you ever get Royal Reds, you better devein. They don't have veins, they have intestinal tracts!!

LizStreithorst
08-10-2019, 06:17 PM
I don't know what they are, just know they're wild caught from the gulf. I'll check one to be sure it's just a vein.

jeep
08-10-2019, 06:27 PM
You should take a trip to Joe Patti's in Pensacola. The store alone is a tourist attraction, but the Royal Reds are cheap and to die for. That's the reason I made my road trip there last December and bought 100lbs.

They taste like lobster!

LizStreithorst
08-10-2019, 06:46 PM
OMG! Like lobster???? I might have to consider taking a little trip. What did you do with the 100 lbs, freeze them?

jeep
08-11-2019, 12:15 AM
Yes. All wild shrimp are flash frozen at sea because the boats usually stay out for weeks or months at a time. They were frozen when I got them and about 15lbs are still frozen ;)

We threw a few party's :D

gators111
08-14-2019, 11:37 AM
Or just pay the extra $1/lb and buy them already deveined, it's absolutely worth it. And if you do buy royal reds, cut the cook time in half, they are very easy to overcook. And the ones that taste the most like lobster are broiled rock shrimp, the best shrimp ever!

jeep
08-14-2019, 12:10 PM
Or just pay the extra $1/lb and buy them already deveined, it's absolutely worth it. And if you do buy royal reds, cut the cook time in half, they are very easy to overcook.

Correct! I bring the water to a boil, dump them in and remove them after I think 60 or 90 seconds. Much longer and they are pretty nasty..

LizStreithorst
08-14-2019, 01:12 PM
I want to buy the Royal Reds for sure, but if they taste like lobster I wouldn't use them in this recipe on them. I'd probably steam them. There's a place in Biloxi that sells them. It's about an hour and a half from here. Brian, do you remember how much your 15 lbs. cost?

jeep
08-14-2019, 03:49 PM
About 1/3rd of what they would cost if they were available in KC. $7.99lb

https://www.joepattis.com/shop/select-quantity.cfm?productnum=6459&typeNum=125

I don't think they make it much past the Gulf unless you have them shipped. I've never seen them at any markets near me...

I don't use cocktail sauce on them. Just dip in garlic butter with a little white wine and maybe some Tony's.

gators111
08-15-2019, 03:34 PM
Yeah, royal reds taste good steamed in beer and garlic. Just let the carbonation get out first or it'll boil over and make a mess. But my fav is rock shrimp, butterflied, brushed in butter, and broiled. That is the best.

LizStreithorst
08-15-2019, 03:53 PM
Man, I wish I could get with you guys and have you cook it for me. Is there a specific type of beer that is better that any other?

gators111
08-16-2019, 01:58 PM
No. I stick to regular and not light beers, just for more flavor. And I wouldn't go with a stout like Guinness because it would foam over with the carbonation, I think, but haven't tried it. You need to pour the beer out in the pot and let and let the beer sit out a bit and let the bubbles get out of it. A citrus beer is good though, I use an orange blossom pilsner.

LizStreithorst
08-16-2019, 02:19 PM
I like many different types of beer, but my most recent discovery might be good. I was unsure because it's an IPA. It's flavor is only a tad bitter but leaves a flavor of sweet grapefruit with you. It's made by Goose Island. I'll use it. I can't buy the royal reds right now so I'll try it on fresh regular shrimp this time. Thanks for teaching me a way to boil shrimp in a way that makes my mouth water.

LizStreithorst
09-22-2019, 08:56 AM
Welcome to the forum, Kate. Do you have Discus?

So many good things to eat here. I'll put that on my list. I meed to make Paul's meatballs first.