PDA

View Full Version : Is this discus's color normal?

GqyForPay
08-26-2019, 01:43 AM
I saw this guy/girl at the store, thought the color was really unique like dark yellow. So i bought it, fed it(eats very well) very healthy, does not look sick and no diseases from what i seen physically. Anyone know the name of this color? need help http://imgur.com/gallery/XBVXX8O

Second Hand Pat
08-26-2019, 08:32 AM
I think this fish is blending in with it's background. With lighter surroundings I think it would be much lighter.
Pat

peewee1
08-26-2019, 09:38 AM
If the eye color is accurate it could be an Albino Millennium Gold. Or Golden Lollipop or Golden Diamond

klr-dude
08-28-2019, 10:45 AM
if it was my fish i'dd call it chimney sweep !
:)

danotaylor
08-28-2019, 11:14 AM
If the eye color is accurate it could be an Albino Millennium Gold. Or Golden Lollipop or Golden Diamond

Albino's and true golden based strain do not pepper, so I think it highly unlikely to be any of these 3. Possibly a poor quality (for color) royal yellow which is a PB strain. Whatever it is there is very heavy peppering, and as Pat mentioned, prob enhanced by the black substrate.
I will say though, that I have 3 PB strains, red melon, marlb yellow, and red panda, in a tank with a black background and have almost 0 peppering on the body, and some showing in the finnage only that gives them away as pigeon based.

bluelagoon
08-28-2019, 11:14 AM

It would have to have a pink or red pupil for it to be albino. It looks black on my srceen. I have seen discus with that grey, brown, smutty color in the past. Altho, I have never had one.

Mattgoanna
08-30-2019, 03:39 AM
While golden strains don’t pepper they do ash (often called dusting). It is like very fine and uniform peppering that can make the fish look very dark. You will even see this in wild golden strains such as Cameta. The reason you don’t see it on a lot of domestic golden strains is because they are probably not true goldens; but crossed with pigeon blood.
I suspect it will settle down and lighten up over time.