PDA

View Full Version : What would become of this?

RogueDiscus
08-28-2019, 03:58 PM
I've avoided mixing strains much in my limited breeding.
I recently downsized and put my turk/SS in with 2 very nice Snow Whites I've had for maybe 2 years. They've never paired up so I suspect they're the same sex. Of course, there's some activity now.
My homegrown turk is taking an interest in one of the SW, which I recently read are brown based (not white butterfly/ PB) (I've also read white is dominant?). Anyway, what do experienced folks think would come of such a cross?
Just to add, I'm not really encouraging it, except perhaps to get a SW to do SOMETHING. Just throwing it out there.
Steve

Yes, (s)he's got a scratch.

LizStreithorst
08-28-2019, 04:12 PM
Beautiful fish, Steve. I'm really not sure what you would get from this cross but my guess is more Turks and there's nothing wrong with Turks.

danotaylor
08-28-2019, 05:48 PM
I'm clueless when it comes to discus genetics Steve, but they are very nicely colored (is white a color, lol) & shaped fish. One thing I do know about discus breeding...the scratch won't show in the progeny :p

RogueDiscus
08-28-2019, 09:19 PM
Thanks Liz. I wish the two SW would mate! I do have hopes for a SS pair.

Thanks Daniel. Ya, the scratch is almost gone today. The whole pigment vs light color thing is an interesting topic. Either way, I've been amazed by the total lack of other colors trying to come through after all this time. Admittedly, I have tried real hard to avoid foods with coloration (reds). I think Brian piped in somewhere recently to point out this kind of white might be brown based. I had read a while back that white was dominant in them, but obviously they don't survive in the wild. And of course they've been highly selective bred.

I wonder what other thoughts are out there.

peewee1
08-28-2019, 10:10 PM
I'm clueless when it comes to discus genetics Steve, but they are very nicely colored (is white a color, lol) & shaped fish. One thing I do know about discus breeding...the scratch won't show in the progeny :p

White and black and all variations of gray in between are shades, not colors. Book 'em, Dano.

RogueDiscus
08-28-2019, 11:01 PM
I think white is a human perception based on the combination of light wavelengths presented. White pigments allow those wavelengths to be visible.

danotaylor
08-28-2019, 11:29 PM
Haha :D