PDA

View Full Version : Seeking opinions on what this is stuck to/in the egg laying tube??

Rarelyp1
09-01-2019, 05:51 PM
I have enjoyed learning from this forum for a few years and its now time for my first try at posting. I noticed some egg laying activity going on today, actually 2 separate pairs decided to breed today, and about 12 inches away from each other strangely. Anyway, one of the females has an unusual object on her egg tube. It looks like a stalky splinter looking object more than a parasite to me, but the most rigid plant I have in the tank is amazon sword. Is there a parasite that looks like this?124654124655124656124657

jeep
09-01-2019, 06:34 PM
I have no idea, but you're right, it doesn't look like a parasite. It's not good being there. If it is a foreign object, you risk an infection setting in.

How long ago did you notice it?

I would keep a close eye on it and keep your water very clean. If you're convinced it is a splinter or something, you may want to gently remove it...

LizStreithorst
09-01-2019, 06:56 PM
I'd do exactly as Brian suggested.

Rarelyp1
09-01-2019, 08:07 PM
I have no idea, but you're right, it doesn't look like a parasite. It's not good being there. If it is a foreign object, you risk an infection setting in.

How long ago did you notice it?

I would keep a close eye on it and keep your water very clean. If you're convinced it is a splinter or something, you may want to gently remove it...

Sorry folks, I just noticed it today, but time has revealed that the anus opening is on the front of the egg laying tube on a Discus apparently. After some time passed I noticed some poo emerging from the same location and eventually all of it was discharged. I feed them a homemade recipe that includes blanched and blended spinach which is likely how such an item entered the digestive system. Looks like I may have to remove stems from spinach if I use it again. Apologies for the false alarm and thank you for your feedback! 124658124659124660

LizStreithorst
09-01-2019, 08:28 PM
Lordy, don't apologize. It was way cool and the solution was to just to let the fish poop it out. I agree remove the stems from now on. I don't imagine that it was a hard and sharp as it looked in the pics but it might have caused a blockage if it hadn't been expelled correctly.

jeep
09-01-2019, 08:30 PM
Wow, that's really gross! Glad your fish is ok!!!

danotaylor
09-01-2019, 09:56 PM
Stellar pics mate, very cool...yea, and gross lol :p

LizStreithorst
09-01-2019, 10:14 PM
I think that it was cool. May be because it was unusual and let me off the hook when it came to figuring what it was and how it got stuck to her tube. I don't find it gross in the least. Perhaps I'm weird

danotaylor
09-01-2019, 10:42 PM
Perhaps I'm weird

Nope, just cool :bandana: