PDA

View Full Version : Assassin snails on AB?

RogueDiscus
09-15-2019, 09:25 PM
Can anyone recommend a good source for assassin snails? Maybe Aquabid?

JamesW
09-16-2019, 09:50 AM
How many do you want? If you cover shipping I can probably get some to you.

Jack L
09-18-2019, 12:23 AM
i got mine from imperial tropicals on amazon
Imperial Tropicals

RogueDiscus
09-18-2019, 05:26 PM
James mentioned and I saw a pic online of a "square" assassin snail egg. Are young assassins clearly identifiable, or might they look like other small snails at first? I'm trying to decide if some of the recent batch of new snails could be assassins.

BTW, thanks James and Jack.

RogueDiscus
09-18-2019, 06:14 PM
So, they're carnivores. Can I really assume that if a young snail in on one of the vegetables I'm feeding my shrimp and BN, then it's not an assassin?

Filip
09-20-2019, 04:14 PM
I got Assassin's /Clea Helena , Steve.
They are pretty recognisable with their distinguished brown/yellow colours from a very small , grain size age .
After I vacum sand I always look in the bucket to get back the Helenas and dittch MTS and other snails in the toilet and it's pretty easy to distinguish them .
Theoretically you should be right , they are strict carnivores and shouldn't be eating any greenery .
With that said I tend to believe that nature can be always full of surprises, exceptions and oddballs among species .
And BTW, they are slow but determinate snail killers that take no prisoners in their mission to clear their universe.

Jack L
09-22-2019, 10:59 PM
the young look the like the old, just smaller.