PDA

View Full Version : Plant fertilizer for bare bottom tank

shamik
09-18-2019, 11:42 PM
I’ve low tech 100gal BB tank with 12 discus and few plants like anubias and java fern. Their growth is very slow. I was thinking of seachem liquid fertilizer. Please share your recommendations and dosage.

I was also thing to add school of fish, what and how many would you recommend.

Filtration: Anaheim canester (2)

bluelagoon
09-19-2019, 09:22 AM
You don't need ferts in a low tech planted tank. It's called low tech for a reason. The plants you mentioned also do not need that much food; the fish waste will be enough for a low tech planted tank. I would recommend rummy nose tetras. Adding ferts and you'll just be adding extra nitrates along with the K and P and the plants are so slow growing it will be just a wasted efford.

shamik
09-19-2019, 10:52 AM
Thanks for your response. My fishes on average s 5 inch. Do you think i’ve room for 10 tetras ?

bluelagoon
09-19-2019, 02:41 PM
I would think if your footprint of the tank is just 4 or 5 feet with that many discus, then IMO I think your tank has plenty fish already. Not that the filters can't handle, but there's not much swimming room for them.

shamik
09-19-2019, 07:26 PM
Thanks , appreciate your feedback.Yes, it’s about 4 x2x2. With driftwood and plants it’s good to think about larger tank 🤪

Filip
09-20-2019, 03:50 PM
Anubias and Javas are supposed to be slow growing plants . They both are heavy P And K consumers ,and theese usually lack in a well maintained and regularly WC -ed discus Tanks, so maybe you can have some visible benefit in dosing small amounts of P and K fertiliser.
What kind and intensity of light are you using ATM ? Maybe you can benefit from 10-20% higher light intensity if your current is too dim .
Tetra schooling fish less than 50 Pcs. in a 100 gallon tank would be very unnoticeable and not worthed the risk IMO .