PDA

View Full Version : Hospital/quarantine Tank

pm9ljr
09-25-2019, 08:14 AM
I will be turning a recently vacated tank to a hospital tank. To keep the tank fish ready I assume you must add ammonia on a daily basis?
I am thinking it might sit there empty for weeks or months till needed.

Just curious how others handle

Thanks

Mando
09-25-2019, 08:36 AM
I will be turning a recently vacated tank to a hospital tank. To keep the tank fish ready I assume you must add ammonia on a daily basis?
I am thinking it might sit there empty for weeks or months till needed.

Just curious how others handle

Thanks

I keep two or more sponges in my main tanks sump and I use them when I have to set up my QT. After I'm done, I bleach it let dry for a few days and put them back in sump.
I put away my QT tank until it's needed.

4eye gold fish
09-25-2019, 03:19 PM
I keep two or more sponges in my main tanks sump and I use them when I have to set up my QT. After I'm done, I bleach it let dry for a few days and put them back in sump.
I put away my QT tank until it's needed.

so by doing this, the sponge will not cause cross contamination? I guessing...if that sponge is from a healthy tank then it will be okay? Would it be okay if I take a cycled sponge and squeeze it in a cycling tank to boost it without worrying about contamination?

thanks,

LizStreithorst
09-25-2019, 05:03 PM
I add a cycled sponge, too. If your sure that your Discus are clean there will be no cross contamination IME. The worry is doing it the other way around and adding a sponge or squeezings from the new fish to the Discus.

4eye gold fish
09-25-2019, 07:44 PM
thanks Mama Bear.

Shan_Evolved
09-25-2019, 10:06 PM
I too was wondering this. I will be adding a sponge in addition to my canister setup now. Thank you op for asking

Filip
09-27-2019, 02:54 PM
If you can ask and get seeded sponge from the same tank from your discus supplier along with your discus , it would be even safer option .

Mando
09-27-2019, 03:06 PM
If you can ask and get seeded sponge from the same tank from your discus supplier along with your discus , it would be even safer option .

Very good idea!

LizStreithorst
09-27-2019, 04:55 PM
I always use my one sponges if I'm sure of my existing fish. Once upon a time I got some show quality fish in. In that case I used a sterile sponge and did 90% WC until the sponge caught up with the bioload and I was able to go to 50% daily. My existing fish had what's called Discus plague 7 months earlier so all I could do was change a ton of water in their tanks before risking bringing in new fish. Hansie told me what to do. Either way you need to add a sacrificial lamb.