PDA

View Full Version : Hello from the Netherlands

BasNL
10-22-2019, 12:31 PM
Hi everybody,

Time to introduce myself!

My name is Bas and I’m from the Netherlands. I’ve been an aquarium enthousiast for 4 years now... and counting. I own a 80-gallon blackwater aquarium which used to house Red Shoulder "Manacapuru" Angelfish which I raised myself.

Although, recently I started the challenge of keeping Discus fish. As a new Discus keeper, I’ll be spending much time here reading, learning and hopefully, being able to contribute after a little while.

I introduced the following species from Stendker, varying from 3 to 5 inch size, to my tank:

3 Leopard Red
3 Red Turquoise
2 Leopard x Snake Skin

In addition to that 50 Cardinal Tetra and my other loyal tank guests are a L600 - Leopard Cactus Pleco, a L128 - Blue Phantom Pleco and a small school of 10 Black Corydoras.

Regarding the technical part of my aquarium:
JMB AquaLight "Community" 27W LED + Controller
JMB AquaLight "Amazon" 27W LED + Controller
2 Eheim Professionel 4 600
Eheim ReeflexUV 800
Hydor 300W In-Line Heater
Eheim Air Pump 100

Same as with the angelfish, I’ll be doing 2 75% water changes weekly. More is not possible due to a busy work schedule. Food will consist of Stendker’s own branded frozen diet, fed 2 times a day, plus an additional feeding of Hikari Discus Bio-Gold when I’m at work.

The picture is taken the day after the Discus were introduced.

Any advice is appriciated!

coralbandit
10-22-2019, 08:26 PM
Welcome ..
Nice fish there !

jeep
10-22-2019, 10:36 PM
Welcome to the forum Bas! Nice setup!

BasNL
10-23-2019, 03:46 AM
Thanks! I read conflicting information on this matter so I'll just ask: do you think this scape provides enough cover for the Discus or would it be better to add some more structure?

danotaylor
10-23-2019, 03:50 AM
Many folks keep discus in bare bottom tanks without any decor. It just depends on what you like. The main consideration is ease of maintenance.

BasNL
10-23-2019, 07:06 AM
I just read a long post about bare bottom versus decorated. Cleaning will take me more time obviously but since I've always managed to keep nitrates below 10, even on holidays, I'll just stick with what I currently have if the fish don't care :)