PDA

View Full Version : HOB filtration

NCDiscus
11-16-2019, 09:54 AM
Morning everyone. I've got to buy another HOB filter. I believe I messed up and got some sand in my Emperor 400 during my last water change and now spray bars won't work. I'd like to get opinions on whether I should get another Emperor or are there better ones out there.

Thanks

jeep
11-16-2019, 10:20 AM
I use the Emperor 400 and I like them. If it's just sand you can take it apart and clean it out. From time to time I clean our the spray bars with a tooth pick because of calcium buildup. If you buy another you can swap the bio wheels so you don't have to recycle.

I see many other people like the Aqua-clears as well...

NCDiscus
11-16-2019, 10:37 AM
I cleaned everything out but I believe it either damaged the impeller or the housing it fits in. When I first start it up water will come out of the spray bars but after a minute it stops. I think the sand ground something down to where it doesn't work properly.

Thanks for the info.

jeep
11-16-2019, 11:08 AM
BTW, Petsmart has Emperor 400's on sale for $39 https://www.petsmart.com/fish/filters-and-pumps/filters/marineland-emperor-power-filter-16944.html?cgid=300108

Sturiosoma
11-16-2019, 11:57 AM
Aquaclear, aquaclear, aquaclear, I have had the opportunity to use almost every filter out there and you just can't beat the aquaclear they are simple while they my cost a little more initially you don't have the high cost of specialty cartridges.

Jeanne

NCDiscus
11-16-2019, 12:28 PM
Thanks everyone!

coralbandit
11-16-2019, 06:00 PM
I am all aquaclear ..Maybe running like 40 now ?
Yea I like em ..

bluelagoon
11-17-2019, 10:21 AM
Aquaclear, aquaclear, aquaclear, I have had the opportunity to use almost every filter out there and you just can't beat the aquaclear they are simple while they my cost a little more initially you don't have the high cost of specialty cartridges.

Jeanne

You can say that again. You just can't find a better filter like those and they last for many years.

AquaticNerd
11-17-2019, 02:04 PM
I have to agree - Aquaclear has been my go-to since it doesn't go the cartridge route and I can replace items as necessary.

The SeaChem Tidal looks promising - integrated surface skimmer and same large style compartment where you can put whatever you want in it.

I used to have MarineLand HOBs with the BioWheel, I just got tired of having to clean the wheel housing because they'd get clogged up with gunk/calcium/other deposits and they'd stop spinning.

gunnerschh2
11-17-2019, 02:49 PM
ken sells the filter pads at a good cost

danotaylor
11-18-2019, 02:13 AM
Check the rubber grommet that the impeller shaft slots into. If is it perished or missing on 1 or both end your shaft won't sit vertically and the magnet will stick to one side stopping the impeller from spinning