PDA

View Full Version : BG Algae question

smitty24
11-24-2019, 03:30 PM
So i keep getting BG algae on the bottom of my tank. I don't think i have enough water moment down at the bottom of the tank. Right now i have about .5 in of sand, would introducing some sterbi cory's help the issue to up the water movement?

basser1
11-24-2019, 08:46 PM
Just get a bottle of this, good stuff. Try it for a few weeks and be patient.

https://www.uwcmn.com/vibrant-liquid-aquarium-cleaner

bluelagoon
11-25-2019, 09:08 AM
Has the lighting changed recently? I had SAE's that used to eat it; seems not all do according to some folks. The treatment that I've used in the past always worked. A 3-4 day black out with a blanket or something will starve the algae that lives inside the bacteria. Another treatment and harsh one would be an antibiotic like erythromycin, but that is costly and more antibiotics will be getting in our environment. Sometimes an air stone will help.

bluelagoon
11-25-2019, 09:09 AM
PS.. for the black out to work, you can't peek in and let any light in.

Willie
11-25-2019, 06:54 PM
Are you sure you have blue green algae? Unlike green algae, red algae, black algae, etc., blue green algae is a bacteria. Other than covering the tank in complete darkness, the only way to get rid of it is with an antibiotic - such as the erythromycin bluelagoon mentioned. Nothing in the ingredient statement is going to handle blue green algae.

Willie