PDA

View Full Version : what can these beHas

springer
11-29-2019, 06:57 PM
Has anyone ever seen these in their tank. They are white less then a quarter of a inch and they hang on the glass at a 45 degree angle. They look just like a pitch fork. They don't seem to bother the fish and the appear then disappear at times.

coralbandit
11-29-2019, 07:32 PM
Look into Hydra ??
Trouble for shrimp and small fry usually a symptom of overfeeding in some form ..

springer
11-30-2019, 10:21 PM
I did some research on hydra and yes u are right thatis what they are thank u

RogueDiscus
12-06-2019, 05:15 PM
Is there a way to kill the hydra without hurting the shrimp?

gimaal
12-06-2019, 08:30 PM
Mollies, paradise fish and three-spot gouramis (blue gouramis) will eat them, in fact, they love to eat them. Alternatively, remove fish and shrimp temporarily, turn heat up to 104F for two hours, do 50% water change vacuuming out the dead hydra, and return fish once the temp returns to normal.

Mando
12-06-2019, 08:39 PM
Had to google it. Never seen that in my life. Over feeding causes this?

coralbandit
12-07-2019, 07:19 AM
Is there a way to kill the hydra without hurting the shrimp?

Fenbendazole as I understand ? I read from shrimp keepers that one 1 gram packet [from box store as dog wormer] is to be mixed with 200ml water .
That makes the solution you dose . 20 ml for every 10g is the dose to add to tank .Safe for shrimp , kills hydra and planaria ..
I have made and used this mix but have no shrimp ..Never lost a snail though .Most times the single dose works in days and then I change water out to eliminate the med ..

bluelagoon
12-07-2019, 09:24 AM
They don't need chemicals. It's a lack of maintenance and over feeding like mentioned above. Just bring that up to par and they'll go away. Keep the glass wiped down and never leave old uneaten food in the tank.

RogueDiscus
12-07-2019, 12:15 PM
Thanks Mervin. I saw some in my shrimp/pleco tank. There's a good amount of gunk that collects. I guess I'll have to work a bit more on cleaning it out occasionally. And be careful not to overfeed.