PDA

View Full Version : ABN's A new direction for me...

jeep
11-30-2019, 12:45 PM
So I've had these long fin ABN's for a couple of years now. They've been in a basic gravel bottom tank with a few Cory's, a Featherfin Squeeker and a chunk of driftwood that they've hollowed out. I never see them much because they're always under the driftwood except for when they munch on some zucchini or wafers. I've always suspected that they had to have been spawning due to their close quarters and age but I've never seen any fry. A few days ago I found an old cave I had forgotten about, so i just tossed it in the tank and to my surprise a male and female moved in withing minutes. Unfortunately, when I dropped the cave in, it rested in a position that makes it hard to see inside.

As I've been told, the male kicked out the female and he stays in the cave 24/7, although from time to time it looks like she tries to go back inside. Every once in awhile I saw him fanning junk out of the cave opening, then I guess he got a little carried away and knocked some eggs out. I used a turkey baster and squirted the eggs back into the the cave. The eggs looked pinkish, not white. It's now day 5 since they moved into the cave, and day 2 since I squirted the eggs back into the cave. I read that it usually takes about 4 days to hatch and another 4 days to go free swimming.

This is all new to me, so any input and advise will be appreciated. I'm not sure how to care for them if they do survive, so at this point I plan to place a piece of zucchini at the mouth of the cave in a few days. Other than that, I'll keep things updated as time goes on.

Wish us luck!!!

danotaylor
11-30-2019, 01:17 PM
Cool mate, you ALFBN daddy! Nice pic, peek-a-boo ;D

Sturiosoma
11-30-2019, 02:43 PM
heres what I feed brian

jeanne125860125861

RogueDiscus
11-30-2019, 03:14 PM
Hi Brian. I've got my BN in with my shrimp. Taking advice from Adam, I feed canned French cut green beans to them. They love them, and cheap. I throw in some pellets about once week, too.

jeep
11-30-2019, 03:18 PM
Thanks for all the info on foods.

Steve, do the beans sink or do you weigh them down?

RogueDiscus
11-30-2019, 03:51 PM
They sink. I open a can a grab a bunch and spread them around.

jeep
11-30-2019, 03:59 PM
Cool! My mom always wonders why my tank has forks in it, lol...

danotaylor
11-30-2019, 04:05 PM
Steve your shrimp have darkened up nicely...nice deep red now...
Brian just tell your mom it's because your fish don't have a fork of their own ;D

LizStreithorst
11-30-2019, 04:12 PM
Thanks for all the info on foods.

Steve, do the beans sink or do you weigh them down?

Wow, that tank is too cool. I don't know why I didn't follow through with Adam's suggestion. I've been feeding nothing but Algae pellets to all my shimp, plecos, and Mystery snails.

RogueDiscus
11-30-2019, 04:21 PM
Thanks Liz, I'm just about to do a cleaning and harvest of shrimp, BN, and maybe even assassin snails, but I'll try to post some more pics in my homestead thread. I've got so many shrimp and BN that I posted them on CL, 10 shrimp/$1 and BN for $1 each. I've got a list of folks now I have to catch them for.

jeep
11-30-2019, 04:25 PM
Steve your shrimp have darkened up nicely...nice deep red now...
Brian just tell your mom it's because your fish don't have a fork of their own ;D

If you knew my mother, you would know she would believe me ;)

Sturiosoma
11-30-2019, 05:06 PM
Hi Brian. I've got my BN in with my shrimp. Taking advice from Adam, I feed canned French cut green beans to them. They love them, and cheap. I throw in some pellets about once week, too.

Green beans are fine but if you use canned make sure you rinse them good they have a lot of salt, and who the heck is Adam

Jeanne

danotaylor
11-30-2019, 05:47 PM
Adam is a member with a lot of knowledge, experience and success with pleco's & shrimp amongst other things. He hasn't been around much lately though...

RogueDiscus
11-30-2019, 08:30 PM
I think they like the salt

Sturiosoma
12-01-2019, 09:34 AM
If you knew my mother, you would know she would believe me ;)

I fully understand Mom as she discovered a Tupper ware container of blackworms in the fridge thinking we had leftovers thank goodness she didn't use them in a recipe, they have since been labeled

Jeanne

danotaylor
12-01-2019, 09:36 AM
I fully understand Mom as she discovered a Tupper ware container of blackworms in the fridge thinking we had leftovers thank goodness she didn't use them in a recipe, they have since been labeled

Jeanne

That's funny stuff right there :D

jeep
12-01-2019, 12:56 PM
So I have a 29g I'm not using at the moment so I'm thinking about turning it into a planted pleco/ram/shrimp tank. Some people here have been posting their shrimp and have me intrigued so I guess I better start studying up on shrimp :inquisitive:

LizStreithorst
12-01-2019, 01:33 PM
The rams will scarf your shrimp. Plecos do well with shrimp. I'm raising shrimp, plecos, and purple striped Mystery snails in one of my shrimp tanks. Just plecos and snots in 2 others.

Pat's Black Ram tank has me thinking about giving my Dutch rams another go at it. This time I'll load them with BBS. God knows I have to keep myself amused some how until my Discus decide to get down and dirty.

jeep
12-01-2019, 01:52 PM
That's good to know. I've never kept Rams either. Sorry, but what's a snot? lol...

Second Hand Pat
12-01-2019, 02:05 PM
Baby BN lol.
Pat

Sturiosoma
12-01-2019, 02:27 PM
So I have a 29g I'm not using at the moment so I'm thinking about turning it into a planted pleco/ram/shrimp tank. Some people here have been posting their shrimp and have me intrigued so I guess I better start studying up on shrimp :inquisitive:

Brian if you're as anal ,or diseases as I've been called I would save the depth of the 29 for your discus and go with a shallower tank for what your looking to do ,I'm sure you have a tank laying around, maybe a 20 long

Jeanne

LizStreithorst
12-01-2019, 03:44 PM
Jeanne's right, but I use 29's because I bought the tanks in the fish room with Discus in mind. Never thought I'd get into other fish.

jeep
12-05-2019, 08:29 PM
I don't know what happened to the first batch of eggs but the male and female have been spending some time together in the cave. He kicked her out again. Now he'splaying pee-a-boo, lol... 125915

LizStreithorst
12-05-2019, 08:40 PM
What an exciting time for you! It's a beautiful pic of a very handsome fish. My fingers are crossed for you.

jeep
12-06-2019, 01:45 AM
What an exciting time for you! It's a beautiful pic of a very handsome fish. My fingers are crossed for you.

What's really cool is that I saw the male and female both in the cave at the same time and then saw another male and female under the driftwood. I think there may be another one in there as well. Unfortunately, even though this tank is in my living room it has been severely neglected. There's only catfish in there and I've been spending my time on remodeling the discus fish room. The bristle noses have been 99% hidden under the driftwood and I didn't even know how many I had. Simply dropping a cave in there has changed the way I view this tank and I hope to treat them better from now on...

danotaylor
12-06-2019, 06:09 AM
Shame on you Brian :p

Mando
12-06-2019, 12:09 PM

Jeanne

LOL, mine was discovered in a similar fashion, and when I got home, I had a mini fridge in my room! lol

Green beens seems like a simple meal! Good luck, Brian! Steve, that's one hell of a colony. Can't wait for mine to get like that.

Mando
12-06-2019, 12:18 PM

That's how it started for me. Now Pat has me about to go the Ram route with her beautiful tank, Liz already got me in a shrimp tank, and I'm leaning towards a dutch style planted tank, strictly plants.

I'm also interested in a cube tank with a nice center piece such as Pantherlax's (Pat) tank. I guess both Pat's have a nice square tank with center pieces.

Second Hand Pat
12-06-2019, 03:46 PM
Oh man Armando, we are twisting you all sorts of ways lol.
Pat

jeep
12-06-2019, 04:04 PM
Yeah, I think I'm going the ram route only. Shrimp are out ;)

I tried the beans... they drug them to the back of the tank and left them there. They are fools for zucchini :D

Don't worry Danny, when I said neglected, I mean I haven't done anything with the tank to promote it. The fish all receive good care :p

danotaylor
12-06-2019, 06:17 PM
No doubt mate ;)

Willie
12-07-2019, 12:43 PM
I used to feed a lot of canned beans to my ABN colonies. But if you read the Nutrition Fact panel on the back, the protein content is extremely low, especially compared to algae wafers. Zucchini and cucumber are what I use now, along with algae wafers.

Willie

jeep
01-02-2020, 11:52 PM
Just as I thought there was no hope, I walk by the tank this evening and see something strange behind the blue nighttime lights...

danotaylor
01-03-2020, 01:01 AM
Ah, that's a tadpole mate...ya dreamin! :p

LizStreithorst
01-03-2020, 09:24 AM
Danny, you silly goose. Don't you know a sperm when you see one? ;) Have you found any more, Brian?

jeep
01-03-2020, 09:39 AM
I haven't looked too closely yet. I just saw that one eyeing a piece of zucchini that was floating at the surface while I was on my way to bed. I did a deep cleaning on the gravel a few days ago so I hope I didn't suck any out by accident.

I have noticed that the zucchini has been disappearing at about 10x normal recently but I never saw any little ones...

jeep
01-03-2020, 10:07 AM
I just turned on the lights and there are about 30 of the little buggers all over the glass!! This is exciting!!!

LizStreithorst
01-03-2020, 10:10 AM
Success with a new type of fish is a rush. Congrats! Be careful vacuuming from now on. I've found mine easy to suck up.

jeep
01-03-2020, 10:24 AM
Liz, do you recommend anything special for them? They are in a 46g tank with gravel, no plants, a piece of well seasoned driftwood, HOB filter, 3 cory's and a featherfin squeeker that is very docile and shows no aggression towards anything. I'm sure I will have to up the water changes with 30 extra mouths to feed. I've tried beans with no interest from the adults, and the BN's main food has been zucchini. I will pick up some wafers today as well, but the adults seem to be mostly interested in zucchini...

LizStreithorst
01-03-2020, 10:27 AM
I can't think of anything, Brian. They're easy to keep fish. At least compared to the fish we're used to...Discus.

Mando
01-03-2020, 11:23 AM
I have 5 baby BN's, or 4? can't remember now, and they are all doing great. I never see them eat but they are growing. I just throw in flakes for the tetras and shrimps. I'm sure they manage to get some food.

danotaylor
01-03-2020, 01:15 PM
Danny, you silly goose. Don't you know a sperm when you see one? ;) Have you found any more, Brian?

Bahahhahahaha!! Good one Liz ;)

jeep
01-07-2020, 04:45 PM
Another discovery... There are two distinctly different sizes of fry in the tank, one group about nearly 1" and another group at about 1/2", and from the behavior of the male inside the cave, there may be more there as well. What a difference a cave makes!! :elvis::elvis:

Second Hand Pat
01-07-2020, 04:54 PM
Another discovery... There are two distinctly different sizes of fry in the tank, one group about nearly 1" and another group at about 1/2", and from the behavior of the male inside the cave, there may be more there as well. What a difference a cave makes!! :elvis::elvis:

Talk about finding the magic switch Brian lol
Pat

jeep
01-09-2020, 11:53 AM
I wish my discus were this active... There appears to be another batch on the way. It's impossible to count them all, but I estimate there's about 75 squirming through the gravel and stuck to the sides and the male is guarding more inside the cave... All I'm doing at this point is tossing in zucchini and wafers and it all disappears overnight. The poo is overwhelming so I've upped water changes to daily... I'm going to have to set up another tank soon, lol...

Willie
01-09-2020, 12:15 PM
Definitely want to move them to a separate tank with all the poo. These days, I just tie an entire zucchini or cucumber to a piece of slate with a rubber band. You don't even have to peel it. One large zucchini/cucumber lasts about 6 days in the ABN tank.

Willie

Second Hand Pat
01-09-2020, 12:15 PM
Brian, might be time to remove the cave lol
Pat

LizStreithorst
01-09-2020, 12:41 PM
I got too many myself until I found out how prolific they are. These days when I see a daddy in cave with wigglers, I take the cave out and put it in one of my Discus tanks. The Discus find them to be the most delectable treat.

jeep
01-22-2020, 10:28 PM
Dinner time 24/7!!

jeep
02-06-2020, 12:31 PM
I think there's another batch competing for food now. This is one of 6 wafers in the tank, not to mention the zucchini and leftovers scattered around. The first batch is around 1 1/8" now...

I'm doing some trading soon for some Super Reds....

LizStreithorst
02-06-2020, 12:47 PM
What a bunch of beauties!

jeep
02-06-2020, 01:01 PM
They are awesome to watch, and so easy to care for. I think at least 50% are long fins...

captainandy
02-06-2020, 03:24 PM
adorable. Look up screwcumber on ebay. Much cleaner look than a fork for keeping zucchini in one place on the bottom.

LizStreithorst
02-06-2020, 04:22 PM
I wouldn't waste the money. A fork works fine. If the fish don't care how it looks neither do I.

jeep
02-06-2020, 05:18 PM
I wouldn't waste the money. A fork works fine. If the fish don't care how it looks neither do I.

Plus that, it always makes my mother ask why there's a fork in my aquarium :evilgrin:

Willie
02-06-2020, 05:23 PM
A fellow hobbyist used to put big screws into the zucchini to weigh them down. Every so often, he nets out a whole bunch of screws! :p

Willie

jeep
02-25-2020, 01:02 PM
I'm being a bit overrun here. I think there is a 5th spawn and the parents are looking pretty cozy again...

I'm going to be offering them up to Simply members first at a pretty decent price within the next few weeks. Some are about 1 1/2" now and there is a mix of long fins and shorts.

LizStreithorst
02-26-2020, 11:18 AM
They're red eyed albinos, right?

jeep
02-26-2020, 12:20 PM
Actually, they are blue eyed.

LizStreithorst
02-26-2020, 12:37 PM
Thank God, even though I'm baby pleco poor I'd have had to get some of yours if they were red eyed. They're my favorites personal favorites and I'd love to add the long finned gene into my current stock.

jeep
02-26-2020, 12:42 PM
I have a mix of long fin and short fin... all albinos. I will pay closer attention and if I see any red eyes consider them yours! I don't know their history, only that I have about 150 of them. Maybe there is a red eye in their genes somewhere???

Second Hand Pat
02-26-2020, 12:48 PM
Actually, they are blue eyed.

Even better :D
Pat

jeep
02-26-2020, 01:04 PM
Like I said. These are a new direction for me and I have no idea which is more desirable. I've heard albinos can throw back some browns so I'm at least happy they are 100% albino...

LizStreithorst
02-26-2020, 03:32 PM
Thanks, Brian. I don't know a lot about plecos but it seems logical that in Discus red eye is recessive to everything. I do have some blue eyed as well and know that they are also special, but I still prefer the red eye. It's just a matter of taste.

Sturiosoma
02-26-2020, 04:31 PM
Like I said. These are a new direction for me and I have no idea which is more desirable. I've heard albinos can throw back some browns so I'm at least happy they are 100% albino...

Brian me being a pleco nut I can tell you that what's least available is the most desirable, any that have been banned or rare in the wild, probably the easiest thing to do would be to go to aqua bid and search what you have and see what comes up the least, just an idea

Jeanne

jeep
02-27-2020, 12:24 AM
Thanks. I will check that out

Sturiosoma
02-27-2020, 03:38 AM
And one more thing Brian if you have blue eyes those are Lemon BN and LF are more desirable, albinos would have red eyes

Jeanne

jeep
02-27-2020, 08:02 PM
Interesting because I've noticed that one of the adults is noticeably more yellow recently. Although they hide so much that I may have only noticed it now,

jeep
02-29-2020, 01:42 PM
Jack Taylor just came over and took about 50 of them and we estimate there are another 200 in there, including a new spawn :sun:

Good news Liz. There are many red eyes in there!!

jeep
03-19-2020, 03:06 PM
They're still cranking out new eggs. Here's the yellowish one. He always has an interest in the cave even though the male inside never leaves...

LizStreithorst
03-19-2020, 03:16 PM
Mine are still going at. I had too dang many so I took about 30 to the LPS Monday. I moved my good male albino to a tank without a female but there is a male albino in the Rainbow fish tank sitting on eggs. I think that he's turning them loos because there are a bunch of Rainbows hanging around the cave. A few always manage to survive. These BN are fun to breed and extremely entertaining.

jeep
04-05-2020, 11:53 AM
More, more, more... They just won't stop!!! :grin:

They won't touch that nasty algae on the sides and it's really hard to scrub off.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ORezOYuu4k

Second Hand Pat
04-05-2020, 11:59 AM
I can only image the babies we don't see in the vid Brian :D Time to give the cave a rest!
Pat

jeep
04-05-2020, 12:16 PM
There are many more you can't see. I'm guessing well over 200...

LizStreithorst
04-05-2020, 03:08 PM
It seems that once they get started they never stop. Aquabid will be your friend.

jeep
05-18-2020, 02:58 PM
Hey Liz, here is a photo with and without flash. With flash the eyes turn white, without they do look a little red...

LizStreithorst
05-18-2020, 03:09 PM
Thanks Brian

jeep
06-13-2020, 09:17 PM
They love their zucchini!

peewee1
06-13-2020, 10:55 PM
Hey, Jeep! Beep Beep! When I first saw the thread title I wondered what ANB was. I looked today on page three and now see it is Alvino and either bottle nose or bristle nose and they are pleco. Huh, mystery solved.

Shan_Evolved
06-15-2020, 05:33 AM
Wow they've gotten big

LizStreithorst
06-15-2020, 10:27 AM
I love mine. You have no idea...I love them so much that I can't wait until he officially offers them for sale. I want MORE! There is nothing more entertaining that watching a group of little snots attacking a piece of zucchini all together in a bundle.

jeep
06-16-2020, 09:31 AM
I'm planning to move the larger ones to their own tank in the coming week. Then I can get a count on how many larger ones I still have. Your excitement places you at the top of the list, lol... If I do offer them for sale, I'll donate a portion to the forum...

above design
06-16-2020, 08:50 PM
Hey Brian,

I would love to get some to if you decide to sell. Maybe I can be #2 on your list. Lol..Would want 6-8. They look great!

Thanks,

Mark

jeep
06-17-2020, 12:12 PM
Got got it Mark!

I have to admit, I'm one of those discus perfectionists. I don't really know anything specific about ABN's, although I have seen some people point out flaws in others that I would not have thought to look for. I don't see any flaws in these. All I know is they seem to be very hardy... I've haven't lost a single one so far...

LizStreithorst
06-17-2020, 12:26 PM
All I know is that I like them...A LOT! And that's all that matters to me. I would have no clue how to fault them and don't particularly want to find out.

above design
07-10-2020, 08:15 PM
Hello all,

I was very fortunate to receive some of these plecos from Brian and am very happy with them. The USPS decided to deliver them a day late so I taught my daughter how to acclimate them over the phone while I was at work. Brian did an excellent job packaging them and they are very happy in qt. The longfins definitely have a ghost like appearance swimming around and are very cool to watch. Very happy to have them! Thanks Brian!

-Mark

jeep
07-11-2020, 02:00 AM
Thank you for your kind words Mark! I'm glad they survived their extended tour of the USA courtesy of the USPS. The other shipment sent on the same day arrived 2 days after yours and they all survived as well. :D