PDA

View Full Version : Kanamycin Questions

Sweetmule
12-25-2019, 02:25 PM
I have gotten the pure Kanamycin sulfate. Could anyone tell me the dosage in terms of Tsps/10 gallons? I don't have a scale.

Also, I have read conflicting comments here about whether it kills the good bacteria in your sump? Thanks.

smsimcik
12-25-2019, 06:44 PM
There is no Tsps/10 gallon dose for Kanamycin. The correct dose is 500-750mg/20 gallons dosed every 2 days with a 25% water change before each treatment. Overdosing can cause kidney failure so be careful to dose the right amount.

Not sure why you would be get conflicting comments about it killing beneficial bacteria in your sump. All antibiotics kill beneficial bacteria in your sump. How much of the beneficial bacteria is killed depends on how long you do the treatment. If you do a treatment for several days, it could conceivably wipe the filter out. That's why most people use a hospital tank to treat sick fish, thus sparing the filter in your display tank.

bluelagoon
12-26-2019, 11:31 AM
There is no Tsps/10 gallon dose for Kanamycin. The correct dose is 500-750mg/20 gallons dosed every 2 days with a 25% water change before each treatment. Overdosing can cause kidney failure so be careful to dose the right amount.

Not sure why you would be get conflicting comments about it killing beneficial bacteria in your sump. All antibiotics kill beneficial bacteria in your sump. How much of the beneficial bacteria is killed depends on how long you do the treatment. If you do a treatment for several days, it could conceivably wipe the filter out. That's why most people use a hospital tank to treat sick fish, thus sparing the filter in your display tank.

:thumbsup: