PDA

View Full Version : What is the whitest sand?

rvales
12-29-2019, 08:59 PM
What is the whitest sand that is course enough for a Discus tank that wont change KH? I asked this once before, but I was wondering if anyone came up with anything new?
BTW: Someone recommended National Geographic's white sand, but it is not sold anymore.

mudcatmike17
12-29-2019, 09:14 PM
hey Rick
I used Imagitarium in my tank.
ill send you pics tomorrow.

mike

rvales
12-29-2019, 09:22 PM
Thank you Mike.

danotaylor
12-30-2019, 02:42 AM
Rick I use this stuff...it is not white, but very natural looking and coarse enough not to pack down tightly...126204
Available at pool supply stores for $15/50#

rvales
12-30-2019, 11:09 AM
Rick I use this stuff...it is not white, but very natural looking and coarse enough not to pack down tightly...126204
Available at pool supply stores for $15/50#

Thanks for the reply. I seen the Cobalt Pearl White sand at a fish show and I fell in love with the look. Unfortunately it wont work with Discus since it does change the KH and PH of the water. I am looking for something close. I don't want the beige sand look even though the picture you posted dose not look beige. I had a few bags of the Pool filter sand and a few bags of Play sand I gave them to a friend for his horse shoe pit. I may be fishing for something that is not obtainable, but I have seen some tanks with really white sand. I am not worried about the cost. The alternative is black sand.

Filip
12-30-2019, 11:24 AM
The real challenge is to try and keep it as white as it is on the log run . They always seem to catch some algae and dirt in my tank and loose their initial brightness in a time.
Sometimes I just replace the sand with new during the WCs . Sorry for my offtopic I just wanted to share my opinion.

rvales
12-30-2019, 11:33 AM
hey Rick
I used Imagitarium in my tank.
ill send you pics tomorrow.

mike

I took a look at the Imagitarium sand and it looks white from the pictures that I have seen on line. How many inches of sand do you use?

rvales
12-30-2019, 11:37 AM
The real challenge is to try and keep it as white as it is on the log run . They always seem to catch some algae and dirt in my tank and loose their initial brightness in a time.
Sometimes I just replace the sand with new during the WCs . Sorry for my offtopic I just wanted to share my opinion.

I appreciate every opinion and thought. It is all part of the journey and how we all learn. Thank you.