PDA

View Full Version : Sponge / external filtration (another one)

Justanotherfishkeeper
01-02-2020, 05:29 PM
Hello,

I’m setting up a 210 litre aquarium. I planned to filter is with an external canister filter I had laying around and a couple of sponge filters I had an aqua one 136 & aqua one 60 running off a sera air 275 R air plus pump.

Unfortunately the external filter is faulty so I’m going to have to re-plan the filtration.

The sponge filters are already in the tank cycling.

2 questions;

1. The pump has two air outlets. Will it be powerful enough to split the air valves and power another couple of the 136’s.

2. If so, do you think that will be enough filtration on the tank. It’s going to be bare bottom with 6 discus I’ll be growing out.

I’ve always used external filtration in the past but trying to be more cost efficient these days.

Thanks in advance for your help.

LizStreithorst
01-02-2020, 06:01 PM
I'd go with the sponges. They do an excellent job and last forever. I've used canisters in planted tanks. Now, I just hide my sponges behind the plants. Canisters are heavy when full of water and a huge pain to clean.

I've always used sponges in my BB tanks. Two large ones should be fine in a 210 liter.

BrendanJ23
01-03-2020, 01:21 AM
If you’re going down that path, why not buy an additional air pump just in case the other one dies?. If it’s only got two outlets, chances are it won’t run 4 lines.

Justanotherfishkeeper
01-03-2020, 05:07 AM
Well if I get a new air pump and sponge filters that’s going to cost around £40, I could get an external filter for another £5-10 so I guess the question is would it be worth it?

LizStreithorst
01-03-2020, 09:27 AM
Not necessary but one would make a great back-up should your pump fail.

BrendanJ23
01-03-2020, 04:55 PM
Well an air pump would be more versatile I guess. You can either run sponges or just air stones, and is a good fail safe.

Justanotherfishkeeper
01-04-2020, 08:51 AM
I added a couple more filters to the air pump and seems to be flowing ok. If I notice a reduction in power I’ll invest in another pump. Thanks everyone