PDA

View Full Version : Interesting Pair

RogueDiscus
01-04-2020, 03:04 PM
I've had a couple Snow Whitesfor a coupleyears. Never spawned. I assumed same sex. I added a couple red golden diamonds awhile back. This is what I found this morning. Sorry, hard to get a good pick. Lots of glare.

danotaylor
01-04-2020, 03:13 PM
Cool mate, assuming you mean it's a SW x RGD? How would those offspring look?

RogueDiscus
01-04-2020, 03:21 PM
I'm not sure what to expect. Maybe something like the red-whites I've seen in Kenny's shipments. White with red blotches. Kenny seemed to think they would make a good cross, but "experimental." White is dominant.

LizStreithorst
01-04-2020, 03:41 PM
There is a lot of incomplete dominance with Discus. I don't know what you would get with this combination. The red is a PB, right? I don't think that you will get what Kenny thinks unless you worked at it for many generations. I bet Cliff would know.

RogueDiscus
01-04-2020, 03:54 PM
It's not a PB. It's a golden. I think both are derived from browns.

LizStreithorst
01-04-2020, 04:02 PM
So they say. Is she a brownish red or an orangy red? I wish I could see a picture of the fish under better lightning.

RogueDiscus
01-04-2020, 04:04 PM
I'll work on better picks later in the day. She's a dark red with halo and has the typical grey undertones of the goldens.

RogueDiscus
01-04-2020, 04:09 PM
Here's a better one I just took.

LizStreithorst
01-04-2020, 04:17 PM
Like I said, I'm not sure. But I still think PB in the background. If I'm wrong I still think that you'd get a mix of types.

danotaylor
01-04-2020, 07:16 PM
Either way it has very nice shape as features, be interesting to see what they throw...

LizStreithorst
01-04-2020, 07:26 PM
I agree.

RogueDiscus
01-04-2020, 07:33 PM
Thank you. I prefer to be optimistic and enjoy the moment.

LizStreithorst
01-04-2020, 07:43 PM
Enjoy it however it turns out. You'll find out something interesting.

coralbandit
01-04-2020, 09:36 PM
Really like the red !
Wow..Nice
And the red eggs ! Have not seen eggs that red since I bred Apistos!
Good luck Steve .

RogueDiscus
01-04-2020, 10:01 PM
Thanks Tom! Yes, I've been impressed by how red and somewhat larger the eggs seem that those from my recent tiger turk spawns. I don't expect much in their current situation, but it would be nice to get them confirmed.

coralbandit
01-04-2020, 10:20 PM
Looking for 1 wiggler !
Hoping for you .
My experience with red colored eggs is they are easy to note when bad like the 2 in pic..

danotaylor
01-04-2020, 10:43 PM
Which discus laid the eggs Steve?

RogueDiscus
01-04-2020, 10:50 PM
I din't see them spawn, but I think the red is the female.

LizStreithorst
01-05-2020, 03:11 AM
I think so, too Steve.

jeep
01-05-2020, 10:11 AM
Brown based gold X brown based white, interesting cross! Just guessing you'd see fry that reflect the parents, possibly some mottling in some. Future generations could be quite nice!

RogueDiscus
01-05-2020, 05:30 PM
Well, they were in almost 400 ppm tds water, and although they looked fertile, they slowly turned white one by one and are gone now. I'll have to set them up in soft water and let them try again, hopefully soon. i think it would be fun to see what I would get from them

LizStreithorst
01-05-2020, 05:33 PM
I'm sure that was expected. Best of luck the second time around.

CliffsDiscus
01-06-2020, 02:40 PM
There is a lot of incomplete dominance with Discus. I don't know what you would get with this combination. The red is a PB, right? I don't think that you will get what Kenny thinks unless you worked at it for many generations. I bet Cliff would know.

Liz,
What color will the offspring is a good guest since the original golden were solid cream color. The original golden are picture in the first Asian Discus book by Johnny Yip . According to the author the original golden were very difficult to breed so they were cross with yellow pigeons for commercial purposes.

Cliff

CliffsDiscus
01-06-2020, 02:46 PM
Really like the red !
Wow..Nice
And the red eggs ! Have not seen eggs that red since I bred Apistos!
Good luck Steve .

Discus are color fed so their eggs are red even their poop is reddish too.

Cliff

LizStreithorst
01-06-2020, 02:55 PM
I knew that you would have a better answer than I could. I'm really really curious to know if any of the offspring are peppered. BTW, I had an imported red pigeon that laid bright red eggs it's entire life. There is a huge variation in the color of Discus eggs and I kind of think that bright red is one of them.

RogueDiscus
01-08-2020, 03:57 PM
OK, new development. I mentioned I had the reds, actually three of them, in with two snow whites, and got the red/white pair above. Last night one of the other reds spawned with the other snow white! But this time the eggs ware totally clear, translucent white. I'm not talking about dead eggs. I see a few of those opaque white ones, too, but these are just totally colorless eggs, and I can see the yolk spot(?) inside. When I got the reds from Kenny, I got red golden diamonds, which is the kind that spawned last evening, and he threw in a third red golden from a different group, so they are not probably the same strain. I'll try to get a pic of the eggs, but they're in a tough spot to get.

LizStreithorst
01-08-2020, 04:24 PM
Like I said, Discus eggs variety of colors. I really don't think it means anything.

RogueDiscus
01-08-2020, 10:00 PM
So the other pair is spawning again at the moment. The red is the female, laying the bright red eggs. I need to watch the other pair, but it's possible the white is the female, especially from the shape of the red. Even though I've had these two whites for a couple years, it's like they need to get jolted or "try it on" with the reds to get motivated. I'll be watching.

I need a bigger fish room with at lest twice as many tanks :)

RogueDiscus
01-22-2020, 06:39 PM
I wish these guys would confirm!

Did I mention I'd like a bigger fish room?

coralbandit
01-22-2020, 07:20 PM
Can you cage the eggs so they don't eat them ?
Just need one wiggler ...

RogueDiscus
02-01-2020, 09:50 PM
Next try. These guys are so striking. I wish they'd get wigglers. The SW is the male, I've had him for a couple years, but he is a bit of a football. Wonder if he's fertile?
I think I've mentioned, the SW's partner, very nice shape, that is the other SW I've had for the same time, has paired up with a red male. Who new it was a female! The SWs didn't hook up after all this time themselves? I never saw any flirting until I added the reds. Now I'm thinking I want to isolate them again.

two utes
02-01-2020, 10:18 PM
Next try. These guys are so striking. I wish they'd get wigglers. The SW is the male, I've had him for a couple years, but he is a bit of a football. Wonder if he's fertile?
I think I've mentioned, the SW's partner, very nice shape, that is the other SW I've had for the same time, has paired up with a red male. Who new it was a female! The SWs didn't hook up after all this time themselves? I never saw any flirting until I added the reds. Now I'm thinking I want to isolate them again.

The joys of breeding. Always a hard decision to make. I recently took what i thought might be a pair out of my main tank into a breeder, and lucky i stuck by them for so long, as it turns out they are a proven pair now. Good luck with these guys.

seanyuki
02-02-2020, 04:03 PM
Reading through Discus Catalogue by Martin Ng

Snow White x Virgin Red =Red White

Red White x Red White =Snow Red & others

The book did not explain much about genetic.

RogueDiscus
02-02-2020, 05:42 PM
Red and White. Maybe a good omen on Super Bowl Sunday?

RogueDiscus
02-21-2020, 12:22 AM
So, new developments. I had two of the reds that had paired up with two snow whites. To separate pairs. One produced red eggs, the other pair produced clear white eggs. None ever hatched. Based on egg color, I thought I had a red female with a white male, and a white female with a red male. After several spawns with no hatches, I removed the snow whites and decided to try for a red pairing. Well, they spawned this morning and I can see a nice group of red eggs. This evening I twisted myself around to get a closer look at the eggs on the back of the cone, and mixed in with the red eggs is a while group of clear white eggs I hadn't noticed! The two reds were not identical strains, so now I'm thinking they're both females and have been doing the laying all along, so nothing will come of this :( I have another red I'm going to have to put back in with them and see what happens.

malcourt
10-10-2020, 11:58 AM
If one of the parents is white the fry should turn out to be decent looking.