PDA

View Full Version : Chickens, chickens, chickens

LizStreithorst
01-09-2020, 05:16 PM
It seems that I have to repopulate my chicken supply every year. There are predictors out here in the sticks and I insist on letting all my animals roam free. Some how even my dogs seem to know the property boundaries.

I have the hots in a big way for Lavender Opringtons. They are drop dead gorgeous and they go broody. That means I can experience a hen raising her own chicks and integrating them into the flock.

Right now I have Light Brahmas and a couple of Delaware's. My rooster is a Brahma and he will have to go. I don't want him messing with my Orphingotns because I want to raise purebred chicks. There is a big difference in the color of the Orphington eggs, so I will know if the hen is setting on the other color eggs and take them from her to replace with the correct eggs. Funny, I give my eggs away and only use eggs in recipes, but I want to raise pruebred chicks to sell.

Day old chicks are $20. each for this breed. No way I could afford that. But my neighbor has an incubator that I can use. Eggs for hatching are only 2 bucks each for 16 to 20 eggs. That I can handle. It will be my splurge of the month.

Here's a pic of the chickens from the place I'm buying from. https://www.meyerhatchery.com/productinfo.a5w?prodID=LAOS

Second Hand Pat
01-10-2020, 07:35 AM
Those Lavender Opringtons are gorgeous Liz :D Definitely need pics of these beauties once they mature on you. Who would have figured there were lavender chickens.
Pat

bluelagoon
01-10-2020, 10:04 AM
Nice looking breed.

LizStreithorst
01-10-2020, 10:12 AM
And unlike the Blue Orpingtons they breed true.:D

Chicago Discus
01-10-2020, 01:07 PM
Hi Liz. We bought some Lavender Orpington chicks in the late summer. I love Orpingtons! We have a mature Buff Orpington (named Buffy of course) as well. They are the friendliest chickens especially when they are broody. The Lavs are just now starting to lay, and they have not developed there combs yet. They are wonderful chickens! Here's a picture of one with our Americaunas that we got at the same time. Sorry for the lousy picture... it is a cold rainy day in Chicago today.

LizStreithorst
01-10-2020, 02:38 PM
I understand that Orpingtons are one the friendliest of all the breeds. Your girl does indeed look young. Where you able to buy it locally or did you order from a hatchery?

RogueDiscus
01-10-2020, 03:10 PM
Very nice looking strain Liz. I googled it just for fun, and it said they are raised now mostly for show. You said you want to sell the chicks. Will they be for show, or eggs,...?

LizStreithorst
01-10-2020, 03:22 PM
They're good layers. So I'll be selling them for egg production. I don't have a refined eye for chicken quality and I don't show chickens myself so I wouldn't dare offer them as potential show birds.

brady
01-11-2020, 11:17 AM
Liz you might want to check out Murray mc murray hatchery. They are sold out now but you can get on
a wish list. They go for 6$ a pc. straight run.
Jay

LizStreithorst
01-11-2020, 11:58 AM
I saw that. I looked on Murray McMurray, Cackle, and Meyer. I would only use Cackle if they were the only one left in the country. I actually wanted to buy eggs this time. It's something I have never done before. ff I raise them from I will get to watch them hatch. It's something I've never had the chance to watch.

Sturiosoma
01-11-2020, 01:07 PM
Today I had eggs for breakfast, scrambled with hotsauce and a little parmesan cheese, the shells were white and the yolks were yellow, yum yum

Jeanne

brady
01-12-2020, 11:51 AM
Liz you started me thinking that instead of buying chickens every 2or3 years it might be really cool to hatch
eggs. This pm I'm going to research a diy incubator and where to buy eggs.
What are you doing to obtain the aforementioned items?
Jay

LizStreithorst
01-12-2020, 01:30 PM
My neighbor is letting me use her incubator. I'm buying my eggs from Meyer hatchery.

Cove Beach
01-12-2020, 04:42 PM
Hi Liz, I was looking at the link you put up and it’s not real far from where I live. My wife has been trying to talk me into a small flock. Just not sure how they would do with our 6mo old puppy and 7yr old Dane.

LizStreithorst
01-12-2020, 04:57 PM
The dogs will have to be trained. I've swatted some of mine on the a$$ and said "no chasin' chickens" many times. I doubt the Dane will be the problem but teaching the puppy may be a bit of work. Teaching young dogs that they cannot chase something that runs from them isn't easy. If you keep your chickens in a coop this won't be a problem, but all my animals run free. I have 2 5 month old puppies right now, so I know.

These hatcheries are very strict about visitors. But if they allow you in it would be great to see their set up and their chickens with your own eyes.

It's hard to imagine what joy and entertainment a small flock of chickens will bring to you. Go with it.

brady
01-12-2020, 05:22 PM
Liz
I checked out Myers and they seem like an ok business. Going to call them tomorrow and see is
they have eggs around the middle of april. Reason being that here, Northern Ct. I can't brood
day olds in a kitty pool in the garage until around the beginning of May.
Found out how to make diy incubator so will make it this week and give it a good test for temp and humidity.
Also, found some really inexpensive ones on different sites.
Anyway, when are you getting yours and keep me posted on your success.
Jay

LizStreithorst
01-12-2020, 05:40 PM
I'll be ordering mine on the 15th. I am very lucky I have a huge container that I used to use for growing out fish out of doors during the summer months. I can haul it into the fishroom out back into the fish room where it's always warm all the time. I can raise them these until they are ready to go in where I raise babies. It has it's own little run attached. It's in no way fancy but I can take pics if you like. I've never hatched my own eggs before but I've read how. I have raised day old's to layers many times.

Cove Beach
01-12-2020, 06:40 PM
Due to winged predators here they will be in a enclosed pen unless we are outside. Our neighbor lost a cat to a Bald Eagle and we have a good group of Red tail hawks also. The up side is the Dane is blind but our puppy will be a different story like you said. I have a few other things going so we will see. But for now I will enjoy your thread!

LizStreithorst
01-17-2020, 08:34 PM
We have hawks but nobody has spotted a bald eagle around here yet. I have foxes to deal with. And possums if I forget to close the door to the chicken house at night. Last year I had an attack by what must have been coyotes. I never heard a sound but I woke up the next morning to a lot of carnage. I expect to have to repopulate every year. That's why I don't make pets out of my laying hens.

I finally got the money together to order my eggs. I checked my neighbor's incubator to make sure everything worked right. The eggs of the breed I want won't be available until April 4th. Nothing I can do but wait. I really really want this breed.

LizStreithorst
01-19-2020, 04:25 PM
Meyer's are not available until April 4th, but I found these on E bay. Their Lavenders are much better quality than the pics of Meyer's chickens. Look at the feathering and just see how much smoother they sit. Please look at all the pics not just the one.

I've got a bid in but have been outbid. I'm going to wait until the last minute to put my final bid in, but with $16. shipping, I can't let myself bid higher than $60. for the 20 eggs. Considering the quality of the breeding stock they're worth that much. https://www.ebay.com/itm/333482396028?_trksid=p2471758.m4704

Cove Beach
01-25-2020, 11:43 AM
It says sold, did you win the auction?

LizStreithorst
01-25-2020, 12:18 PM
No. I checked her past auctions and LO eggs never went for close to that high. She has another auction posted. I made a low bid early, but I'm going to bide my time and wait until the auction is close to being sold before I make my final bid.

LizStreithorst
02-04-2020, 02:17 AM
I am so high on today and so looking forward to later in the week that I can't sleep. Wed. I will have my Rams from Tom. Later this week I will get my chicken hatching eggs. I have waited this long to take the plunge. I actually bought 2 breeds. Since the Bielefelders are auto sexing I can tell which breed the chicken is as soon as it's hatched out. I'll have to kill all but one of the males because these are bred down from free range chickens. I don't know how easy it will be to catch them for processing when they're older. I'm getting 14 of the Bielefelder eggs and 22 of the Lavender Orpington eggs. Orpingtons are friendly birds so catching the older males won't be a problem. Eventually I want to choose only the breed I like best to pass on his genes. The looser will make excellent chicken stock.

I sound so cold hearted but I'm not. I've become so soft that it almost embarrasses me. I know that the hard time will come when I have to kill animals and eat some. It's not my choice but it is the best of all options.

danotaylor
02-04-2020, 04:44 AM
I was totally shocked to see a post from you at 1am Liz! How funny you have the excitement insomnia for the week ahead. I am excited for you and looking forward to the tales you will tell us as this all unfolds! How fun!

LizStreithorst
02-04-2020, 09:33 AM
You're surprised? I'm totally shocked. My claim to fame has always been that I'm a world class sleeper. I have a feeling that there is a nap in my future later today.

BTW, I'm still high from all the good fortune lumped together in one lucky day.

danotaylor
02-04-2020, 06:07 PM
Lol. Did you have a stellar afternoon siesta?

LizStreithorst
02-04-2020, 08:00 PM
It was a lovely 45 minutes resting my back and drifting in and out of sleep. I'll be normal again tomorrow.

BTW, both breeds of eggs will arrive Friday. It won't be as exciting as getting the fish, but I'll have something to get excited about when they start to hatch. This will be my first time hatching my own.

Second Hand Pat
02-04-2020, 08:43 PM
Dust off that camera for the hatching Liz :D
Pat

LizStreithorst
02-06-2020, 01:43 PM
I will for sure, Pat. I hope every things goes as planned. I just discovered that the egg turner quit working. I will have to investigate the success rate rolling them around by hand.

LizStreithorst
02-10-2020, 03:01 PM
The Oprington eggs arrived a day early and the Bielefelder eggs a day late. After letting the Bielefelder rest, pointy side down for 24 hrs they went into the incubator yesterday. The only thing that worries me so far is that the humidity in the incubator won't go above 47 regardless of how much water I put in the tray. The humidity in the incubator won't go above 47.

I have a feeling that I'm going to much prefer the Bielefelders, but I won't know unless they hatch. Both breeds have a lovely light brown eggs but the Beilefelder eggs are very large and much more uniform than those of the Orpingtons both in color and shape. They are both friendly chickens but the orps are supposed to be snuggle bunnies while the Bielelfers are more independent. I have read that they often roost in trees. The poor Orps. can't fly that high.

Unless this experiment totally fails I'll be getting the camera dusted on in 20 days

danotaylor
02-11-2020, 12:40 AM
:thumbsup::drummer:

LizStreithorst
02-16-2020, 02:04 PM
Today is day 7 in the incubator. I tried candling my eggs, but it was my first time and I wasn't seeing what the photos told me I was supposed to be seeing. I freaked and asked my neighbor to come to my rescue and she did :o.

I could see better with her flashlight and it helped a whole lot to have a calm experienced person to help me see things. Turns out that the pics are made by candling experts who have the best lighting as well as excellent camera equipment.

We found only 1 for sure dead egg. A great many of the Bielefelder eggs were questionable and most of the Lavender Orpington eggs were for sure good.

I'm going to leave the eggs alone for 5 days and check again. I will see if the questionable eggs have progressed or if they have died.

I'm disappointed in the Bielefelders. I thought the breed would be better for me with my unconventional chicken keeping ways. The Bielefelders like being outdoors and will roost in trees :). The Orpingon's are snuggle bunnies. They will be sitting bunnies for a fox, and I won't dare forget to close the hen house door at night. It's an Orpington female I will name April and turn into a real pet. It will be hard to give her the free life animals deserve and keep them safe at the same time. I'll worry about her a lot.